ProFunds Reviews

2.2
Michael L. Sapir

1. Can do better

I worked at ProFunds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ProFunds gives you great benefits. They also give little perks like gym membership reimbursement, hold self improvement sessions. The pay is average for most roles, and if you are looking at an average range of pay, its the lower end of the average. They have a lot of company activities, like happy hours, yoga & zumba during lunch etc. Each year they hold one of the best holiday parties I've ever attended. Work life balance is good and most managers are quite accommodating when it comes to sick children / school events etc.

Cons

Career growth is very limited. If you are the kind of person who will just do his job and not try to advance or change anything this is a good place to be. Its very difficult to move within the organization, internal promotion is hardly encouraged and even when you try it takes forever. An internal employee is the last person they want to hire. Its reverse at most places. And pay raises are hard to come by if you are a low / mid level employee. The higher ups are paid well. So you will see a lot of turnover in the lower ranks, but the higher ups have been there forever. They dont allow remote working. Most managers are micro managers. Things happen very slowly here, everything requires approval of the CEO, most manager have little to no power to effect change.

Promote from within. They are more likely to hit the ground running unlike an external hire who will take atleast a couple of months to figure everything out.

Bullies, Incompetents and Yes-men

I worked at ProFunds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has made many timely decisions about products that have kept them in the game. The office is nice. The holiday party is usually cool. Standard working hours.

Cons

I had several managers during my employment, turnover is so high. They were either bullies, incompetent or yes-men. I seriously had to seek counseling after my stint with ProFunds.

Not a company that I would recommend anyone work for.

Former Employee - Portfolio Management in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Portfolio Management in Bethesda, MD

I worked at ProFunds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company given high level of assets under management.

Cons

Low salaries, low bonuses and high turnover. Limited career growth. Only upper management is paid well. Many disgruntled employees. Bonus is structured in a way that rewards employees if assets under management rise at an improbably high rate of growth.

Free breakfast on Friday's, guest speakers and holiday parties are not enough to retain talented employees. Workers would be more satisfied and more positive at the office if they were paid more.

5. Believe What You Read

I have been working at ProFunds

Pros

Offices are in a good location. Most co-workers are friendly. Not the typical high strung types you find in NY financial services circles.

Cons

Reiterating what many have already said, there is NO room for growth at ProFunds/ProShares. (They are the same company). The CEO makes all decisions about everything, down to the color of the carpet. Other managers don't learn how to lead. Particularly miserable when you work for a manager with close ties to the CEO.

If you aren't going to provide opportunities to full time employees, just use contractors.

6. Not perfect, but pretty darn good

I worked at ProFunds

Pros

This was a great place to work! The company is small in terms of staff (about 150 when I was there) but huge in assets and scope. They work pretty hard for happy employees- all the free lunches and parties and the holiday galas at the Smithsonian with entertainment and gourmet food- it was a great job. Also, I never worked with such nice and welcoming people who also are some of the smartest people in the industry- it was amazing, definitely the best boss of my life was there. I thought my salary was pretty good and the bonus structure was confusing, but generous.

Cons

The entire company is run by the CEO- every single decision above a few thousand dollars goes through him- meaning it can be tricky some days to get done what you need to get done, if he's decided to take an interest in it- you'll spend all your time trying to convince him you know what you're doing, rather than DOING it. Then again, the everyone internally deals with it, so everyone understands that's what happened. Vendors get frustrated as hell, so that's never fun to deal with, but its a big enough company most of them are willing to deal with it to a point. All in all, one of the best jobs I ever had and I miss it all the time.

You can't have people step up as leaders if they aren't given a chance to do so. One day the CEO will leave and they will be totally unprepared for how to deal with it, so expanding decision making capabilities will avoid a major problem if an emergency were to happen. It also gets frustrating for an employee who knows they probably won't ever significantly advance within the company because of that which leads to slightly higher turnover than they really should have of their more experienced employees.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at ProFunds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers. I cannot say enough good things about the co-workers. Holiday party is unreal. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Management manages by intimidation. Moral is very, very low. Good luck trying to figure out the employee evaluation program. Every year you work there you will make less money as the owner makes a fortune. A flat out fortune. No strategic planning. Living off the first group of products and then forcing change with the new products.

You know who needs to be removed from their managing director role.

Start or end your career here. Almost impossible to promote from within.

Current Employee - External Wholesaler in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - External Wholesaler in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at ProFunds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Annual holiday party with employee gifts, charity events, catered food, great health and legal care, health club reimbursement plan, and education / career development reimbursement

Cons

They hardly ever promote from within. Once you're picked for a job, you're stuck there.

Morale is low because there's no promotion from within. Look at the talent you've got!

PM

I worked at ProFunds

Pros

Learn a lot of derivatives

Cons

Owners could treat employees better

Interesting firm, lousy management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at ProFunds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge ideas and work.
    Good location and workplace.
    Friday morning breakfast and occasional lunches.
    Killer holiday party.
    Decent compensation.

Cons

Poor to borderline horrible management.
    Management style is fear based.
    Little to no upward mobility.
    Bonus metrics difficult to attain.

There are many talented employees that are being stifled by the oppressive environment at this firm. Manage them to their skill sets and this would be an enjoyable place to go to work.

Aimless!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at ProFunds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has some exciting financial products. They offer good benefits - health insurance, 401k, gym membership, theres free food very often and hold lots of sporting events.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for career growth. Lousy pay unless you are part of top management. Huge disparity in pay between top & lower levels of management. Management doesnt care about its employees. Employees have no input into anything. This company is a one man show and therefore nothing ever gets done. Resistant to change. The firm doesnt know what it wants to be.

Management needs to realise that employees are the strength of an organization.