ProMedica Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Randy Oostra

Pros
  • Insurance was reasonable, matching 401(k) and easy accumulation of earned time off (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Promedica is a large company and acts as big corporate, with a strong focus on making money (in 2 reviews)

• I know it's a non-profit but, they have no sense of how to save money, spend less and make more (in 2 reviews)

1. Excellent Company True to Mission

I worked at ProMedica

Pros

Transparent culture, interested in personal growth

Cons

Limited upward mobility, Regional System

Advice to Management

Consider my formal succession planning

Mid-management review

I worked at ProMedica

Pros

Large organization with opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Mid-management is not fairly represented by Human Resources in respect to hourly staff they supervise. Expectation of what is to be accomplished by mid-management is unrealistic, not enough hours in the day. Salary scale is not in sync with other Healthcare markets.

Advice to Management

Correct the cons

3. Terrible Management

I have been working at ProMedica

Pros

Great co-workers. Scheduled breaks. Ill-fitting uniforms provided. Windows in the office..

Cons

Terrible training. Management usually doesn't even remember your name. If you aren't a nurse or physician, you aren't afforded any respect. Pay is atrociously subpar. If you work part time, do not expect management to care at all about how many hours you were hired for or what your availability is. High turn over because of all of this.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees at least industry standard. Give them adequate training and opportunities to continue training and learning. Treat ALL employees with respect, regardless of position. Train managers to lead, not manage and to not play favorites. Pay attention to scheduling availability!!! I have been with ProMedica for a month and my department has had five people leave since I started because of management not paying attention or caring about availability. If availability is agreed upon during an interview, KEEP THAT AGREEMENT!

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Maumee, OH

I have been working at ProMedica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart IT folks Stable Employment Sustainable long-term financials Growing rapidly

Cons

No merit raises Low ceiling for technical folks Too much focus on clinical staff - no focus on business support staff Compensation nowhere near market level

Advice to Management

Pay your employees (especially IT! )what they're actually worth. Reduce the workload so 40-45 hours a week is the norm, instead of 50+. Give Employees the opportunity to earn merit raises, otherwise careers and salaries stagnate. Raises that don't cover inflation amount to nothing more than smaller paycuts, and when they're flat across the company there is nothing employees can do to increase their life circumstances. Don't limit promotions to once a year - if an employee's responsibilities increase radically due to unforseen circumstances, they deserve to be rewarded immediately, not 11 months later because they missed the cutoff for that year's cycle.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Perrysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Perrysburg, OH

I worked at ProMedica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, hire from within (once in)

Cons

Heavily micro-managed, low pay, managers vs leaders (uninspiring work environment)

Advice to Management

Lead and inspire vs micro-manage.

7. Healthcare professional

Former Employee - Anonymous in Northwest, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Northwest, OH

I worked at ProMedica full-time

Pros

Co-workers and most of the staff are enjoyable to work with. Patients aren't complicated cases and usually friendly to get along with. Locations in Toledo means the cost of living is low.

Cons

Depending on what your field is, the pay is below market. Newly recruited staff are lured by the prospect of bonuses and raises at the end of the year, but the managers and administrator write up every minor infraction and use it as justification to deny bonuses and pay increases. The managers and hospital administrators micro-manage every aspect of the hospital but don't understand anything about hospital operations. Salaries and wages have been stagnant, even for nurses, physicians, and other healthcare professionals.

Advice to Management

Pay the staff better. Send the managers and administrators to management training (some of them are HS graduates or have an associate degree and unqualified to run a Walmart much less a hospital system). Be upfront with your employees and staff about pay. You may be able to recruit new employees and staff with prospect of higher salaries and bonuses, but you won't retain them once they realize that promised pay raises and bonuses aren't going to be honored.

RN

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at ProMedica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, single patient rooms

Cons

Short staff, not enough positive feedback from uppers

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Toledo, OH

I have been working at ProMedica full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent medical, dental & vision benefits/premium. Promotes wellness for employees. Provides good work/life balance.

Cons

ETO (earned time off) has to be used for vacation, holidays & sick time off. Low pay raises, everyone receives the same raise regardless if you do a good job or you suck. Management needs a lot of grooming and education, preferably from an outside consulting company that has no ties to Promedica.

Worked as a Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Maumee, OH

I have been working at ProMedica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Likes to hire from within for internal openings. If you are a good employee you will be recognized. My hard work and skills were recognized on a regular basis by my supervisor and management as a top performer. Felt encouraged to take on responsibility as they discovered my abilities. Started out with 28 days of ETO / year and 40 hours of sick time. That's a pretty good time off package. It's a lot more vacation than most places offer.

Cons

Pay is substandard. HR is dense and immovable. Be careful about 'trying to get your foot in the door' and moving into the position you really want. Promotional raises are weak. I moved from one position into another and due to HR processes being so crummy they did not adjust my salary to be equitable within the department, leaving me about 40% below the market standard for the position. Management spent a year pursuing with HR trying to get me an adjustment (3 levels of management) and were unable to secure anything. 1-3% annual raises depending on company performance. No merit based raises. Dealt with "mandatory overtime" for a month department wide because "some people" were behind on projects. I wasn't in fact I was ahead of schedule so I was supposed to stay around for an extra 10 hours a week just so management didn't have to be the 'bad guy' with individuals that weren't pulling their weight. Management doesn't have the power to do the right thing. Too much bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Revise HR and pay practices to be more competitive. Spend more on your employees to keep people happy and retain talent. The good employees are either going to leave due to unfair pay practices or retire. You need to realize that IT folks can go to any company so when you do your market analysis for salaries you need to take into account IT across other industries not just healthcare (especially since you are the only sizable health provider for miles and miles).

Nurse Tech

Current Employee - Nurse Technician in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Nurse Technician in Toledo, OH

I have been working at ProMedica (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good work environment

Cons

Mandatory training throughout career is not flexible

RSS Feed </> Embed