ProOrbis

www.proorbis.com

ProOrbis Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2014

Jeanne DiFrancesco

Small company with an excellent culture, rewarding projects, and a wealth of professional development opportunities.

ProsIntelligent, hardworking team members; fascinating projects; opportunities for professional development; beautiful office space; high quality tech equipment and support; generous compensation; well stocked kitchen.

ConsEvery team member's work is highly visible, so you simply cannot produce subpar work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue providing benefits and incentives (beyond financial) that are meaningful to employees and the hard work and high quality will continue!

ProOrbis Managing Director responded to this review

May 6, 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback. Management strives to continuously evaluate the total rewards offered to employees with an emphasis on overall work environment and culture to ensure a ... More

Big consulting experience with the benefits of a small company environment

ProsThe broad nature of the work - between working across multiple industries to working across multiple functional areas (strategy, market analysis, capabilities assessment, new operations design, analytics, etc). You get the opportunity to be exposed to the C Suite level of Fortune 100 and 500 clients. Everyone is a high achiever, which makes for a great culture and high performance atmosphere. We have a unique business model making our travel requirements much less than the typical big consulting requirements (and that is awesome).

ConsThis is a small company but we work with senior executives of major firms whose expectations are high and therefore every single person's performance counts, which can be a lot of pressure. We have all of the rest of the big consulting pressures for time commitment, work hours, checking our email at all hours.

ProOrbis Managing Director responded to this review

May 6, 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback. ProOrbis management is aware of the pressures involved with consulting, but especially those magnified in a small environment. We strive to offer highly ... More

A Human Resources consulting firm that needs a major HR overhall themselves

Analyst (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsIt is a small firm.

Cons1) The employees are all feeding off the intellect of the owner, but don't demonstrate any themselves.
    2) The owner doesn't seem to understand people and doesn't see the problems right under her own nose
    3) They have an inferiority complex about being an all female firm. They are constantly talking in a sophmoric bombastic style about how hard they work, how smart they are, they 'pose' by drinking wine during the day, etc, ad nauseum. It's like listening to angry female athletes talk about how they're just as good as male athletes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone with a high EQ to add the the obvious high IQ of the owner of the company. There's a reason you burn through so man new hirees; it's because you don't understand people. This is a shame because of the line of work that you're in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

solid growth opportunity

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsI learned more in the first month than I had in 1 year of my previous job. The work was really interested as well.

ConsThe hours are long and the work is challenging

Opportunity to Push Yourself Beyond Your Limits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're a self-starter and overachiever who thrives in a fast-paced environment, then ProOrbis is for you. You'll receive direct exposure to c-suite leaders at some of the most influential companies and clients in the world. Some people go to work as a means to earn a living, but working at ProOrbis provides a fulfilling and rewarding career that provides a sense of personal significance. The organization's proprietary method is not applied in a traditional consulting program where an army of consultants arrive, produce a report and then leave. Clients are indoctrinated in the method framework to perform the initial transformation, develop the knowledge-base to sustain the improvements, and respond within the method approach to future opportunities/challenges for long-term success. You will not be 1 person in an army of consultant's, rather 1 person on a small team of mentors/teachers. I valued the approach in that there was not a desire to create an indefinite customer billing relationship, but a collaborative atmosphere where once they learn the method, they can self-perform projects that a traditional consulting firm would continue to be called in to execute. Because ProOrbis is a small team, there always seems to be more work to do than can be reasonably accomplished - this drives efficiency and execution, something the "Type-A" relishes. The overall compensation package is fair and hard work is well-rewarded - spot bonuses throughout the year for exceptional performance are not uncommon. Again, traits of those who have been successful include: hard working, eager to learn, responsible/accountable, and problem solving (those that don't accept "no" for an answer).

ConsBecause of the small team atmosphere, there is significant accountability from which you cannot hide - if you think you can hide non-performance, it won't happen at ProOrbis. Given the importance of clients and the projects, there is continued pressure to execute at the highest levels in tight time frames - not everyone can embrace the pressure and use it to drive you to higher levels of performance. You will be pushed to perform beyond any expectations you ever held for yourself. While sometimes it's difficult to believe you can perform to expectations and you may see some challenges as insurmountable, management is always there to make sure you are in a position to succeed and the reward of personal satisfaction and client outcomes keep you pushing through that "wall".

The hardest and best growth and development opportunity that I have ever had

ProsThe work is really challenging requiring learning every day. The clients are top notch and there is a level of access to senior managment and C-suite clients that most consultants never get. Everyone is really smart, so you are encouraged to bring your best game. However, this is a job for an internally motivated, achievement oriented, and smart person. Since the work crosses disciplinary expertises and industries, the opportunities are really endless.

ConsThis is a small boutique and we are building products and relationships while delivering to clients, sometimes in the same day. This is not for people who are looking for their company to support their work life balance nor is it for people who's first thought is "What is the company doing for me." We have a culture of service and excellence and what we can do for our clients and how we can be testing new opportunities every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough we are growing, we have to recruit the people who will love and thrive in this environment, so continue to improve the recruiting. Fit is everything here.

Conceptually interesting company with a defective culture

Analyst/Associate (Current Employee)

ProsYou can have an impact on major projects with substantial companies.
    The small size of the firm
    The concepts and approaches the owner employs are interesting

ConsThe odd culture at the firm.

I laughed out loud reading the one negative review because it was right-on in many regards. The "Sophmoric bombast" term used to describe the culture hit the nail on the head, although I coudln't pinpoint it myself, but knew something was "off". But yes, they do drink wine during the day, frequently tout how hard they work, etc. I guess there's nothing wrong with that in of itself, but it seems more for the sake of an "image" that they want to project (to themselves).

It's the luck of the draw in terms of things working out. If you are the right personality type, you're 'In Like Flint' (pun intended). If not, than intelligence, hard work and dedication will take a back-seat in-terms of salary and recognition.

Rewarding and Challenging - Great Combination

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at ProOrbis is not just a job. You have to be someone that is career driven with the ambition to not just move forward in in job title, but to increase your knowledge and accountability at an extraordinary pace. The opportunities that I have been given are prestigious and career-advancing assignments but they have not been easy. In order to work here you not only need to have talent, but you need to have drive, determination and courage to make it. The people that work well here really love the work - and right now we have a great team of people.

ConsThe time commitment to come up to speed and rise to the standard of performance required combined with high expectations from our clients and ourselves has proved to be too difficult for many that have interviewed or joined the company in the last year or so. It is unfortunate as the last year has proved to be one of the most interesting and rewarding years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd even more rigor to the screening process for potential employees. There have been many that have interviewed with seemingly adequate experience and intellect, but in order to work in an elite and small environment (which adds more visibility and pressure to any role) it is imperative that the overall fit is extremely high. Several roles have changed out in the last year due to people that did not have the overall package (background + intellect + dedication + career, not "title" driven) required for ProOrbis consulting assignments. The last several hires have been excellent, however, and I hope this continues.

Worked for ProOrbis? Contribute to the Community!