ProTrans International Reviews

3.3
Craig Roeder

1. Fast Pace & Opportunity for Growth

I have been working at ProTrans International

Pros

*Constant evolution of processes
    *Constant adding of new talent
    *New jobs / opportunities always opening + a push to promote from within
    *Fun/Professional work environment
    *Large enough to have all of the resources needed to compete while small enough to know most employees/accounts

Cons

*Technology challenges across the board from Outlook to developing a TMS to EDI failing- can cause major haveck on day to day operations

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees and ensure to keep up with the market and technology

2. Low paying, Not much opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Accounting in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Accounting in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ProTrans International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and a good amount of PTO. OK place to work for a while when you are beginning your career.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement at ProTrans unless you are related to the owner of the company. There is also not much opportunity for getting a raise. If you want to make more money you will need to go to another company. No communication between departments, no one knows what is going on. Instead of functioning like a team, it feels more like all departments are against each other. The software they are trying to create, Optimiz, doesn't function well and often disrupts work for hours at a time. I received little to no training at all and my boss never communicated with my department. I would not recommend a friend to work at ProTrans.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees on a regular basis and fill the new employees in on what's going on instead of assuming everyone knows what you are talking about. Communication between departments is also very necessary.

3. Supply Chain Manager

I have been working at ProTrans International

Pros

Great company to start your career with right out of college.

Cons

Lack of room for advancement. Does not compensate employees well enough to stick around long term. Always bringing in recent graduates and filling positions until they realize they can be compensated much better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your valuable employees, you need to reward them with room for advancement, better yearly raises, and a better bonus program. There isn't much motivation to go the extra mile when you aren't rewarding employees who have helped grow & retain business.

5. Low Paying

Former Employee - Rotation Program in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Rotation Program in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ProTrans International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not held to a high standard, freedom to do what you want.

Cons

Salary but still have to clock in, little advancement opportunity, low pay

Advice to Management

Pay for the level of talent you need to succeed and cut the low hanging fruit.

6. Innovative service solution and great company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Director Business Development in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Director Business Development in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ProTrans International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are seeking a business development type role, ProTrans is a great company to work for.. Your ability to grow is endless. I enjoyed the years I spent there and appreciate the opportunity to learn and grow within this company.

Cons

A con is also pro in the fact that ProTrans is privately held and majority owned by one individual, the founder and current CEO. No decisions are dared to be made without the owners approval which makes this company a one man team. Even with their ten gallon titles, Exec VP's and VP's do not DARE make a decision for fear of retaliation (job security above all else).

Advice to Management

If you have a title that reflects authority, use it wisely and for the benefit of the company. ProTrans is approaching the size of a middle sized company (close to 300 million). It's time the levels of management are allowed to make their decisions and accept the consequences of failure or success, like any other mid sized company.

7. Great Company on the Rise

I have been working at ProTrans International

Pros

Great place to learn the Logistics Industry!

Cons

Growing Pains as the company is rapidly expanding

Opportunities For Recent Grads

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel that with all of the negative reviews I must give a fair review, because a lot of the reviews are from former employees who left with bad attitudes that nobody really wanted to work with anyways.

ProTrans started as a freight consolidation company then grew into a third party logistics company rapidly. After taking on larger customers due to the steady growth they were forced to hire in waves right before implementation of large customers. However, ProTrans realized that they needed to develop talent prior to taking on larger customers; thus began the talent development program (Logistics Specialist title). The program consists of recent grads and some current employees rotating to every major department within the company. I was blessed with the opportunity to be in the talent development group and have been twice promoted since. In fact every employee that stayed a year after the TDP program seems to continue moving throughout the company in a positive manor.

Also I want to touch briefly on a few other positive notes.
     * Well established freight consolidation business segment that is a cost leader to the border
    *A 3PL segment that is emerging as a star
    *There isn't another top 100 3PL (Inbound Logistics Rankings) headquartered in Indianapolis, IN
    *Ability to work with executives to better the business

Cons

ProTrans is working on a software that can meet the needs of all business segments, however it may have been easier and more profitable to just buy a software and configure it to the needs of the business segments and focus on our core competencies.

Granted customers buy the "leading edge software" and our engineers still find savings some maybe due to the softwares.

Advice to Management

Maybe reevaluate the IT situation, because although I am confident we will figure it out we are all nervous. Whether it be by increasing the business analyst to developer ratio or maybe a change in management in the IT department.

9. Logistics

I worked at ProTrans International

Pros

Good place for a recent college grad. All upper management is fairly young which makes work atmosphere easy going.

Cons

If you are not sociAl with the employees outside of work, it makes the work environment difficult. Lack of processes and training.

Advice to Management

Hire more seasoned employees as opposed to recent college grads.

10. Lack of Transparency & Age Discrimination

Current Employee - Route Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Route Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ProTrans International

Pros

None unless you happen to be a 20 something.

Cons

The majority of the positions are dead ends.

Advice to Management

Get to know you people and their individual talents and shelve the cronyism.

11. Outstanding Culture and opportunities for Advancement

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great Opportunities for Growth/Advancement, and Fantastic People are a few of the great qualities you will find at Protrans. People generally care about your well-being and want to see you become successful. Those that work hard will advance and have chances at promotions at Protrans. You will not find a better culture at any other logistics company!

Cons

Growing too fast (If that is really a problem!)

Advice to Management

With all of this growth let's not lose the core service offering that have made us so successful.

RSS Feed </> Embed