ProTrans International

Updated January 9, 2015
Updated January 9, 2015
3.2

Craig Roeder

Innovative service solution and great company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Director Business Development in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Director Business Development in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ProTrans International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are seeking a business development type role, ProTrans is a great company to work for.. Your ability to grow is endless. I enjoyed the years I spent there and appreciate the opportunity to learn and grow within this company.

Cons

A con is also pro in the fact that ProTrans is privately held and majority owned by one individual, the founder and current CEO. No decisions are dared to be made without the owners approval which makes this company a one man team. Even with their ten gallon titles, Exec VP's and VP's do not DARE make a decision for fear of retaliation (job security above all else).

If you have a title that reflects authority, use it wisely and for the benefit of the company. ProTrans is approaching the size of a middle sized company (close to 300 million). It's time the levels of management are allowed to make their decisions and accept the consequences of failure or success, like any other mid sized company.

Great Company on the Rise

I have been working at ProTrans International

Pros

Great place to learn the Logistics Industry!

Cons

Growing Pains as the company is rapidly expanding

Opportunities For Recent Grads

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel that with all of the negative reviews I must give a fair review, because a lot of the reviews are from former employees who left with bad attitudes that nobody really wanted to work with anyways.

ProTrans started as a freight consolidation company then grew into a third party logistics company rapidly. After taking on larger customers due to the steady growth they were forced to hire in waves right before implementation of large customers. However, ProTrans realized that they needed to develop talent prior to taking on larger customers; thus began the talent development program (Logistics Specialist title). The program consists of recent grads and some current employees rotating to every major department within the company. I was blessed with the opportunity to be in the talent development group and have been twice promoted since. In fact every employee that stayed a year after the TDP program seems to continue moving throughout the company in a positive manor.

Also I want to touch briefly on a few other positive notes.
     * Well established freight consolidation business segment that is a cost leader to the border
    *A 3PL segment that is emerging as a star
    *There isn't another top 100 3PL (Inbound Logistics Rankings) headquartered in Indianapolis, IN
    *Ability to work with executives to better the business

Cons

ProTrans is working on a software that can meet the needs of all business segments, however it may have been easier and more profitable to just buy a software and configure it to the needs of the business segments and focus on our core competencies.

Granted customers buy the "leading edge software" and our engineers still find savings some maybe due to the softwares.

Maybe reevaluate the IT situation, because although I am confident we will figure it out we are all nervous. Whether it be by increasing the business analyst to developer ratio or maybe a change in management in the IT department.

Lack of Transparency & Age Discrimination

Current Employee - Route Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Route Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ProTrans International

Pros

None unless you happen to be a 20 something.

Cons

The majority of the positions are dead ends.

Get to know you people and their individual talents and shelve the cronyism.

Logistics

I worked at ProTrans International

Pros

Good place for a recent college grad. All upper management is fairly young which makes work atmosphere easy going.

Cons

If you are not sociAl with the employees outside of work, it makes the work environment difficult. Lack of processes and training.

Hire more seasoned employees as opposed to recent college grads.

Outstanding Culture and opportunities for Advancement

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great Opportunities for Growth/Advancement, and Fantastic People are a few of the great qualities you will find at Protrans. People generally care about your well-being and want to see you become successful. Those that work hard will advance and have chances at promotions at Protrans. You will not find a better culture at any other logistics company!

Cons

Growing too fast (If that is really a problem!)

With all of this growth let's not lose the core service offering that have made us so successful.

An OK place if you need a job, but not a career company.

Former Employee - Business Intelligence in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ProTrans International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can get hired if you know how to use a computer.

Cons

Company is going in a bad direction. They are one of the lowest paying companies in town. Their focus is to hire college students who will accept low salaries and then those students figure out that this company is not a great place to work and they can get more money elsewhere, so they leave. There is a high amount of turnover and departments are always reshuffling. They have trouble completing projects on time and will ultimately be the demise of the company. No value is placed on hard work and tenured employees are overlooked for promotions to inexperienced new hires. Don't expect to keep working after you put in your two weeks notice.

Quit being cheap and hire quality employees.

Not Committed to Employees

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work hours flexibility, work from home potential, great people to work with.

Cons

Company is not committed to employees, bonus incentives are a joke, constantly re-organizing, very email based communication, pay increases do not line up with industry or economic standards, no communication to the employees from the top about corporate direction.

Commit to your employees with pay raises that are worth it, give real bonuses, hire more people to cover the proper amount of work loads. Also have the CEO send out an email at least once a month so we know what is going on with the company and where it is going.

Interesting

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time

Pros

Company encourages ongoing education and training

Cons

Management is too lax and inconsistant

Remember that the company mission and procedures should be followed, not just developed to impress customers and auditors

Job Interview

Current Employee - Talent Develop Program
    Current Employee - Talent Develop Program

I have been working at ProTrans International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learn about Supply Chain and Logistics

Cons

Nothing bad to really say about

Continue to improve