ProTransport-1 Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Elena Whorton

1. Welcome to the EMS stepping stone!

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Pleasant Hill, CA

I worked at ProTransport-1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire new EMT's out of school which is a great way to get your feet wet in EMS. The interview was easy! After applying, heard back within a week, and was working with a partner within a month. Uniform provided (which must be returned when you leave) as well as reimbursement for boots. Laid back work environment where you can hang out around the stations or with other crews at the hospital. They transport mostly stable patients which mean a low stress job where you can practice your skills. Commission for running calls, if you work in Alameda county expect to be busy, if you work in Contra Costa expect to be pretty slow. Lots of hours for the taking with people always wanting to trade away shifts which is flexible for EMT's still in school. The people in scheduling are really cool and you will talk to them a lot. Some supervisors are pretty cool, as well as some managers. You can build many great friendships with employees, hospital staff and patients! My experience working with Pro was overall a positive one.

Cons

Upper management (the people who work at the headquarters in Cotati) have the stigma of being all high and mighty. They set unreal expectations on their employees and are quick to point out employees flaws before their own. Their actions often appear sneaky and backdoor like, instead of sincere and trustworthy. Payroll has dropped the ball several times to where commission you earned does not add up accurately, so many people have to double or triple check their pay stubs. Payroll has even sent out letters to employees asking them to pay back their wages because of errors in overpaying employees (which is incredibly unprofessional). Dispatch has switched over to an automated system that assigns calls, which eliminates the human element of communicating with a dispatcher, and makes you feel like big brother is watching you.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees in person. Be inviting and not menacing. Focus on correcting things that are not right instead of ignoring or firing employees.

2. AR/Billing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I worked at ProTransport-1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide lunch everyday. And everyone is really nice, except AR department.

Cons

People hate their jobs, lives, everything in that department. It's terrible and will suck the life out of you. Management pushes you to the edge of quitting as well. I worked there for one ear and say 25 plus people walk out and quit. That says enough. Oh and that was just in one department!!

Advice to Management

Get new ones.

3. My exprience working for ProTransport_1

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

free uniform, average co-workers, games and fun during down time, clean rigs, easy to contact the dispatcher, great technology

Cons

You get a call maybe half an hour before your clock out time (CRAZY!!). new employees go along time without a decent schedule . I'm talking about 40hrs in a period of two moths..!!!.....their schedule is always updated without informing you right away. You are required to check your emails/schedule everyday which is impossible.... Work for this company if you absolutely have nothing else to do with your life..They schedule you whatever shift they feel like. I also feel like the FTOs expect you to process all the information within your the first call ever (we used to have trainees with us on our rig during our shift. My partner was an FTO...)...horrible..overall it's such a horrible place to work such that i quit within one year of employment!!

Decent pay

Pros

Decent pay, Relatively good equipment

Cons

rarely run emergency calls. almost never use EMT skills besides vitals

6. EMT B

Former Employee - EMT-B in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Modesto, CA

I worked at ProTransport-1 (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy entry level job to attain for a freshly graduated EMT-1. Good equipment and well maintained fleet.

Cons

No intrest in long term retention of employees, there is not much emphasis on skill or anything more the transporting patient from A to B, and maintaining high Medicare ratings which is first and foremost. It works, they have many good contracts.

7. Great to learn the ropes.

Former Employee - EMT-B in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Oakland, CA

I worked at ProTransport-1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for people right out of school. They choose their FTO's wisely making sure to promote what our company stands for, and that we make it known what's required to do the job. You will be busy in some areas, so get ready to work. But the money bonuses per call will increase your work speed. They always have open shifts. So if you want to work, they will put you to it. Their schedualing girls are great. if you gab a few open shifts, or give them a heads up to any needs, they are always more than willing. Their station manager are great. Some more strict than others, but that's just their job. Iv mostly worked in Oakland, and he's one of the best. You'll meet great people here always willing to help. So like I said, this is a great stepping stone for any medical career.

Cons

C.A.R.E. cards can be a bit much. (Their 1 survey per call). Also they have a new system, so their dispatch center is working out the kinks. (Bring back ALCO dispatch.)

Advice to Management

Go station to station and just listen. Have no agenda, no plans, just listen to your crews. They are the key to success.

8. EMT - ALCO

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Oakland, CA

I have been working at ProTransport-1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in ALCO, so I can only speak about my experience there, but most all of the employees are cool and often go out after work together and hang out. They allow you to park in the Oakland station, so you do not have to worry about your car getting broken into. Once you get off probation you can make good money with the call commission structure they have there. Great place to get patient contacts if you are looking to progress further in EMS (like I was)

Cons

CARE Cards are really annoying. Scheduling can be a little irritating at times

Advice to Management

Get rid of CARE cards!

9. I liked working at ProTransport-1.

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Oakland, CA

I worked at ProTransport-1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers at ProTransport-1 were the best thing about the job. People were friendly and fun to work with. Also, I know that it was not everyone's experience, but I had a really easy time working part-time/on-call and finding shifts that fit my schedule. My manager, Matt, at the Oakland station was also really attentive and responsive to employee/station needs which created a good work environment.

Cons

Shift start and end times would be moved around by up to two hours, often with less than 24 hours notice. It wasn't a huge inconvenience for me, but some of my coworkers had kids to drop off/pick up from school and it complicated their day quite a bit. There were also lots of times where we would be made to run a call that caused us to get off work late, but I guess that's sort of the nature of the work.

Advice to Management

I think that more careful training of employees (FTO) would be beneficial, not only for the employees in training but also for their eventual partners on the job. I understand that it's the kind of job where you learn by doing, but I certainly could've benefited from another couple days of training.

10. Does not retain employees very well, cares most about money and not their employees

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ProTransport-1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Once seniority is achieved, hours are more flexible and favorable

Cons

- Don't pay you appropriately - Poor regional management - Poor on the job training - Hard to switch shifts with others

11. Former EMT that misses Pro T-1

Former Employee - EMT in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - EMT in Oakland, CA

Pros

Great first time EMT job. I really miss working here. They have a great fleet and great people to work with. They are the leading IFT company in the bay area and are growing. Which means plenty of opportunity for advancement. If you ever needed anything, someone was always a phone call away. Mike Gorman, their COO, really came in and steered the company in the right direction. Great place to start or end up. Lead the way in compensation

Cons

The only complaint I have about this company was the union. But it really wasn't the company's fault. The field crews kind of dug their own grave in that respect.

Advice to Management

Don't really have any advice for management. They recognized the bad apples and weeded them out before I left.

RSS Feed </> Embed