Procter & Gamble

Procter & Gamble Reviews in Iowa City, IA

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley

A.G. Lafley

Pros
  • Everyone is empowered to improve the Business while there is a great work-life balance(in 138 reviews)

• The courses you take here will stay with you even after you leave P&G(in 234 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance can be hard to keep if you are not deliberate about it(in 151 reviews)

• Their are not enough traditional P&G managers in the acquisition sites as well(in 205 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Frustrating

Technician (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsClean, good pay for work

ConsThe overtime is very heavy at times, and is forced and generally that is around holidays and during the summer. My work days are twelve and half hours long, and I work every other weekend. Do not feel valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of telling employees how great the company is that they work for make them feel it.

Plant Technician

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsStill decent benefits and pay
    Could be a great place to work again one day
    Has the ability to be a wonderful and innovative arena with a little room to breathe and less fear. Right now it's just not good anymore, hope to say it's different again soon.

ConsCurrently working 110+ hours every two weeks. Told to flex out a day during the week to replace day off on the weekend. Cannot due to staffing restrictions. Therefore not unusual to work 12-13 days straight with NO option to take a day off. Not even using vacation days.

Bare minimum attitude from employees caused by culture of knee jerk reactions for disciplinary action for minimal mistakes and fear. There is no learning by mistakes at P&G and they will attribute every mistake to not paying attention to detail. Doesn't matter if it was an error with writing, walking or learning a process. Even if you should have had a trainer with you and there was not someone available to help the untrained employee they are still penalized if they don't do the task and penalized if they do the task and make a simple error or miss a step. There does not have to be a loss to the company in order to be punished for the error. Depending on your ability to lie and brown nose will be the extent of your discipline.

They preach accountability yet let people who have the ability to brown nose slide. If you do your work and set people up to succeed they penalize you by giving you the work of someone who does not do their work. Why because "I know you will make sure it will get done." These people who take pride in their work are loaded down and punished for having ethics. While others surf the internet or spend the day wandering the plant or playing on their phones.

Pay has been backsliding and we have recently been told we are getting paid too much for the community/standards of the packing communities in the area. Benefits are being standardized to the general company standards in the US as a whole and P&G wants to remain in the middle of the pack on these things. The yearly celebrations have dwindled and/or been cut back and the gift boxes for the year over the last 5 years have been cut down it won't be worth the cost to ship in another 5 years at the rate they are going.

The attitude of the general populace is if you are only gonna compensate both through money and benefits at the middle then people are not going to give top performance. Down side is the few who have the mentality and ethics to perform their jobs at any level of excellence are now being punished by being overloaded.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time finding out what your employees do with their time, who does the actual work and even reward those who perform. Perhaps showing up in the work areas unannounced from time to time you will see what is truly going on in the production areas. Take the time to invest in your employees and make them feel appreciated. No one wants to hear there are a 100 people who would line up outside for your job if you don't want to do it.

Not the worst job ever. The best you'll get on a HS diploma.

Technician (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsCoworkers are a mixed bag. I got lucky with some very intelligent and hardworking people working on my line.

Great benefits, great wages, lots of overtime opportunities.

Good place to make a lot of money quickly, or to stay and make a modest but comfortable middle-class career.

You will never run out of shampoo with all the care packages they'll send you.

ConsAvoid the cafeteria.

Coworkers are very catty and their general negativity towards their job, management, and each other is a little overwhelming. A lot of them are very vindictive, and every line/shift complains about the others non-stop. Keep your head down and watch what you say and who you say it to. There's as much drama as we had in High School.

It's a training ground for management, so it'll be hit and miss depending on your line. Mine wasn't very good, though our department manager was top notch and very intelligent.

You're either swing shift 1st and 2nd or straight night shift, so expect poor sleep habits, and social isolation. Lots of required overtime, 10s and 12s are common for weeks and weeks. Also, expect to work weekends on short notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your hiring mistakes (fire the idiots), promote the hard-workers, and it would be a great place to work. Also, your hourly workers don't take you seriously, and you haven't shown that you deserve them to. There needs to be management during night shift because they are really lazy, don't follow standards at all, and know that they have no oversight. Hour-2 hour breaks are the norm.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work at!

Plant Tech Initiatives Leader (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsGreat Retirement benefits if you have been with the company for a while. There is chance to transfer though the company and to become Management from Tech status.

ConsIf you are new to the company the Retirement isn't as good as it was if you started 15 years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to realize the people you have working for you even if they are just a tech that we have great ideas and only have the company's best interest in hand. Just because someone is a PE doesn't mean they know more than the techs that have worked with the company for 10 or more years.

Factory line worker

Line Worker (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsPay was good, made sure line working employees had adequate breaks, relaxed environment, friendly management and line engineers. Great job for college students or someone looking take make money quickly. Opportunities to move up and take on responsibility as you learn more.

ConsCan be very humid during the summer. Very repetitive, can become mind numbing at times.

Boring

Operator (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsGood pay for not doing much

ConsIf you do a good job they heap more work on you and you get the same pay as the people who do nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your people really work

Procter & Gamble

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsFinancially stable company
    Opportunity to impact consumer lives daily
    One of the few remaining companies offering profit sharing

ConsThe company's divisions have undergone a recent reorganization with losses/consolidation of mid-level/upper management. There is no clear defined career for some functions or clearly defined leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company need to be aggresive about growth in developing markets (Brazil & India) and introduction of different consumer tiers products in developed markets.

Proctor and Gamble

Line Operator (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe pay is Great and the opportunity to advance is within your area as line operation is great. Benefits are real nice too with Blue Cross and Blue Shield.

ConsManagement seems to look at employees as being expendable more so than valuable. Their ways of using a disciplinary system called B-mod, are a little extreme. Sometimes people are looked upon to work more as robots than people that may make little mistakes from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so quick to punish people by taking raises away for little things. Remember that we are all people and we will make a mistake from time to time. If I was in management I would jump on the opportunity to start a better training process than is currently in place as training is very inconsistent. There is nothing like being punished for things you didnt know needed to be done or accomplished.

proctor & gamble .... a lot of crap for the money you make ...

Plant Technician (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

Prospaycheck and benefits, the experience, there is a lot of diverse training you can get.

Constoo much micro managing, lots of pointless paperwork, too much unavoidable overtime

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to what is going on with your teams, when seven people leave one line in six months, that could be a sign that something wrong.

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!