Procter & Gamble

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.9 1,907 reviews

Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley

A.G. Lafley

Pros
  • Everyone is empowered to improve the Business while there is a great work-life balance (in 139 reviews)

• The courses you take here will stay with you even after you leave P&G (in 235 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance can be hard to keep if you are not deliberate about it (in 153 reviews)

• Their are not enough traditional P&G managers in the acquisition sites as well (in 206 reviews)

More Highlights

Ongoing learning curve

ConsDecision making leadtime
    Process
    Data, data, data....
    Too many people involved in decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify, simplify, simplify. Just make it happens!

machine technician

MACHINE TECH (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros* good amount of freedom
    *no close supervision which allows you to just focus on your job
    * always a task that needed to be done
    *good environment

Consthere were no cons to the job

Great place to work: lots of freedom, lots of responsibility.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsI am currently an intern here and the pay is really, really good (bi-weekly salary of $2,215). The best part of the internship is that you can actually contribute to the company. The projects I am working on will legitimately make a difference in the plant I am in. Like I said earlier, they give you a ton of work to do but kind of leave it up to you to figure out how to get it done.

ConsIn order to move up in this company, P&G has to become your life. Lots of people say they work to live, but if you want to move up in the ranks, you will have to live to work. Being young, this isn't a problem, but when the time comes and I want to have a family, I don't think I will be able to advance my career much more (at P&G).

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the workers, give them more time off.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities

Assistant Brand Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosrespected by other companies, can easily get another job

Consdifficult to get initial job here

It's not nearly the best company to work for, but it is one of the better ones.

Manufacturing Department Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat benefits package. Salaries are within top 10% of comparable companies.

ConsPerformance criteria is not administered consistently across assignments

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management no longer considers people as its most important asset. They should return to that approach.

Great training and experience

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsI would recommend this company to everyone. It is a great place to work with the opportunity to step change your training and experience. If you are motivated and flexible you can navigate to keep stretching your skills. It is especially a great company to learn marketing but from a well rounded general management position ensuring your business management skills are developed.
    * Great training programs
    * Strong on the job training
    * Ability to move and gain new experiences

ConsAs with most big companies the complexity of decision making elongates the process and at times it is not clear who is the decision maker.
    * Very set and established processes
    * Large company thus long time to make decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that different business units may need different processes to offer agility to stay competitive in market.

It's the People that make the Company.

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA company that truly does value safety, quality, standards, leadership. This is 'The' company that will challenge you, train you, and expect a lot from you. If you ever do voluntarily leave P&G, you will be one of the most marketable managers in the world.
    Total compensation is good to above average. Base salary + benefits + vacation/holidays + profit sharing is an overall very competitive package, especially after 5+ of employment. Pay raises are consistent, usually annual. And in general, work-life balance is good, but it greatly depends on the type of role you have. But P&G leadership overall supports a family atmosphere; whether it's big or small events or issues that you or your family are going through, they will work with you as much as possible.
    Our PVPs (principles, values, purpose) are lived everyday. It's not just a saying. Without them P&G would just be any other large corporation.
    And if you take the intuitive, you can build an amazing mentor network throughout the company, within many leadership levels. It's invaluable.
    Overall, P&G is part of my life, but not my whole life. Plus I have been able to support a very comfortable life for my family and I, and I value (and feel valued) for my contribution to the company.

ConsYes, your working for P&G, but in the beginning of your carrier your really working for (and hired for) a specific location. This is especially true in manufacturing- each one is a company it itself. Newer managers (millennials and Gen Y new hires) can be frustrated by this. A general expectation is to do 3+ roles (~2yrs per role) before getting support to apply for roles at another city or site. Just make sure you understand the expectations before you accept your offer.
    Perks- no traditional perks such as bonuses until a Band 3 position. Profit sharing %'s have dwindled for new hires over the past 10 years, which is a shame since this is the biggest financial incentive to stay with the company for your entire working career... Especially since there is no matching 401k contribution. Plus, profit sharing is 100% P&G stock, which has been flat for 7 years.
    Career planning: you have to learn the delicate balance of leading it yourself, without being pushy and unrealistic.
    And lastly, the consumer products business sometimes isn't the most exhilarating... We're not producing Porsche's or iPhones here. We aren't located in the most exciting cities, and we honestly haven't really had any big innovations in a while. But we are 'stable', in a world that seems to be constantly moving forward.

Great Salary, Approachable people, Challenging projects, and Relaxed Atmosphere

Product Supply Intern (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe intern projects are truly your own and very challenging, but there are so many resources and support to help you along the way. The first few week are called 'ramp up' where you are expected to soak as much knowledge as possibly. Interns are treated like a full time employ but with all the benefits of being an intern. Your needs take precedent over full time employers because you need to complete your projects in a shorter time span. Also all of the other interns are really friendly and social.

ConsCincinnati is okay, but I rather not live here.

Finance Manager

ProsWork life balance, pay, location

ConsMany layers; bureaucracy, slow moving at times

Excellent company to work for!

Order Management Analyst (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThis company wants to see you succeed! I have not experienced micromanaging at P&G and as long as you stay on top of your work you will be able to work freely including two days from home a week. With a company this size it is possible to change careers without having to change employers, which is a great way to stay motivated throughout your career.

ConsWorking your way up can be a challenge as the leap from admin level to management level is very difficult to make. However, if you work hard enough anything is possible.

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!