Procter & Gamble

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.9 1,888 reviews

Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley

A.G. Lafley

Pros
  • Everyone is empowered to improve the Business while there is a great work-life balance(in 138 reviews)

• The courses you take here will stay with you even after you leave P&G(in 234 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance can be hard to keep if you are not deliberate about it(in 151 reviews)

• Their are not enough traditional P&G managers in the acquisition sites as well(in 205 reviews)

1,888 Employee Reviews

It's the People that make the Company.

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA company that truly does value safety, quality, standards, leadership. This is 'The' company that will challenge you, train you, and expect a lot from you. If you ever do voluntarily leave P&G, you will be one of the most marketable managers in the world.
    Total compensation is good to above average. Base salary + benefits + vacation/holidays + profit sharing is an overall very competitive package, especially after 5+ of employment. Pay raises are consistent, usually annual. And in general, work-life balance is good, but it greatly depends on the type of role you have. But P&G leadership overall supports a family atmosphere; whether it's big or small events or issues that you or your family are going through, they will work with you as much as possible.
    Our PVPs (principles, values, purpose) are lived everyday. It's not just a saying. Without them P&G would just be any other large corporation.
    And if you take the intuitive, you can build an amazing mentor network throughout the company, within many leadership levels. It's invaluable.
    Overall, P&G is part of my life, but not my whole life. Plus I have been able to support a very comfortable life for my family and I, and I value (and feel valued) for my contribution to the company.

ConsYes, your working for P&G, but in the beginning of your carrier your really working for (and hired for) a specific location. This is especially true in manufacturing- each one is a company it itself. Newer managers (millennials and Gen Y new hires) can be frustrated by this. A general expectation is to do 3+ roles (~2yrs per role) before getting support to apply for roles at another city or site. Just make sure you understand the expectations before you accept your offer.
    Perks- no traditional perks such as bonuses until a Band 3 position. Profit sharing %'s have dwindled for new hires over the past 10 years, which is a shame since this is the biggest financial incentive to stay with the company for your entire working career... Especially since there is no matching 401k contribution. Plus, profit sharing is 100% P&G stock, which has been flat for 7 years.
    Career planning: you have to learn the delicate balance of leading it yourself, without being pushy and unrealistic.
    And lastly, the consumer products business sometimes isn't the most exhilarating... We're not producing Porsche's or iPhones here. We aren't located in the most exciting cities, and we honestly haven't really had any big innovations in a while. But we are 'stable', in a world that seems to be constantly moving forward.

Finance Manager

ProsWork life balance, pay, location

ConsMany layers; bureaucracy, slow moving at times

Great Marketing Company

ProsSpend time and resources for great training

ConsToo many bureaucracies which may slow innovation especially if your not patient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Salary, Approachable people, Challenging projects, and Relaxed Atmosphere

Product Supply Intern (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe intern projects are truly your own and very challenging, but there are so many resources and support to help you along the way. The first few week are called 'ramp up' where you are expected to soak as much knowledge as possibly. Interns are treated like a full time employ but with all the benefits of being an intern. Your needs take precedent over full time employers because you need to complete your projects in a shorter time span. Also all of the other interns are really friendly and social.

ConsCincinnati is okay, but I rather not live here.

Great training and experience

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsI would recommend this company to everyone. It is a great place to work with the opportunity to step change your training and experience. If you are motivated and flexible you can navigate to keep stretching your skills. It is especially a great company to learn marketing but from a well rounded general management position ensuring your business management skills are developed.
    * Great training programs
    * Strong on the job training
    * Ability to move and gain new experiences

ConsAs with most big companies the complexity of decision making elongates the process and at times it is not clear who is the decision maker.
    * Very set and established processes
    * Large company thus long time to make decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that different business units may need different processes to offer agility to stay competitive in market.

Fantastic Training and Culture

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsProcter and Gamble gives fantastic training and truly wants you to succeed as an individual. The culture in the plant is very positive and I feel like everyone wants to help one another.

ConsThe work is tough, but that's what you signed up for! If you are looking for a 40 hour workweek, you won't find it here, but you will find the work rewarding and the atmosphere friendly.

Excellent company to work for!

Order Management Analyst (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThis company wants to see you succeed! I have not experienced micromanaging at P&G and as long as you stay on top of your work you will be able to work freely including two days from home a week. With a company this size it is possible to change careers without having to change employers, which is a great way to stay motivated throughout your career.

ConsWorking your way up can be a challenge as the leap from admin level to management level is very difficult to make. However, if you work hard enough anything is possible.

very good company. Difficult to navigate because of size.

ProsGood company that does things right. great training

Consvery big. difficult for promotion.

Great experience

PhD Intern (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsFriendly environment, great R&D facility. Well-developed career path, great expat packages, very innovative

Consheadquarters in Cincinnati, very demanding senior management, business units are even more cutthroat

Great place to learn and grow

ProsAWESOME training and resources, you can build your own plan and most managers will be fully supportive.
    Work from home of flex time has corporate support, but each unit has a different way to implement - check with your direct manager
    Good benefits
    Great Culture and talented network
    Overall: You will work with the best agencies, leaders, and marketing experts in the Consume Packaged Goods Industry. You can manage your career and enable your mentors and managers to push you further in a fast pace and learn in weeks what would take several months in other places

ConsPG code - Has its own, crypted corporate jargon and lingo ( you will spend the first two quarters just learning most acronyms and process jargon) . What is not said is sometimes as important as what was said, and people seldom will give you the real answer, but the "right" answer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk: there is a huge lack of congruence between work life corporate communication and managers working until the life gets drained out of their bodies.

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!