Procter & Gamble
3.9 of 5 1,735 reviews
www.pg.com Cincinnati, OH 5000+ Employees

Procter & Gamble Reviews

Pros:
  • "work life balance can be managed, but difficult to achieve if you are going for a promotion"
    in 122 reviews
  • "The courses you take here will stay with you even after you leave P&G"
    in 214 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is very difficult as well, especially in a time of reductions (i"
    in 136 reviews
  • "P&G employees must learn to live with a constantly busy schedule and full workload"
    in 192 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

lots of professional learning & variety of experiences - if you want to devote your life to the company for a promotion.

Senior Assistant Brand Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Prosunbelievable training ground, smart people, lots of flexibility with career path.

Consin addition to building the business, you have to build the organization like developing large scale trainings or run the united way campaign with a team. If you don't do enough, you're penalized during annual reviews when the people who have no lives outside of work trump you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop direct placement & let people interview for roles they want not roles you put them into directly. You're resurrecting the 'Proctoid' reputation.

Satisfied

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros1. Great people to work with
2. Challenging work

Cons1. Networking is key
2. Upward Mobility can be slow after few years

good

Principal Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Proslarge well respected company. Broad range of research oppertunities available with in the company makes finding your area of interest easy

ConsSome history of viewing 4 year degree's or nonscience degreed R&D personel as a pair of hands. This seems to be inmproving in recent years

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of progress has been made in empowering employees with the open job posting system in which internal jobs are posted so everyone in the company can see/apply.

Loved it

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Procter & Gamble

ProsGreat challenge and you meet alot of really smart people. You also get to work with alot of other functions liek finane and cmk etc..

ConsVery hard, many hours worked. Expect to work mininum of 50 hours a week. Alot of people will sign back on and work around 8 o clock.

Outstanding Resume Builder

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Procter & Gamble

ProsP&G is probably the ideal place to start a career. For recent grads, you'll receive excellent training, and be exposed to sophisticated systems and procedures. P&G is a very structured environment, which may not truly be appreciated until you venture outside of the company.

Whether you consider your training there to be formal or informal, you're guaranteed to learn the best practices in whatever function you're in. I recommend that new hires immerse themselves in the environment and culture, and soak up as much as possible. There's a lot to learn if you put in the time.

I genuinely enjoyed my colleagues, and I think Cincinnati is an interesting place to live for a period of time. As someone from the East Coast, I think a stint in the midwest was a real eye-opener for me. Yes, the town lacks diversity and is very insular. But living there helped me to understand why people in the region think a certain way.

ConsBob McDonald is focused on reducing the layers of management at P&G. The strategy will surely help the company to become more agile and improve decision making. But this also means that the average employee will find a ceiling at Band 3. So most P&G'ers will feel frustrated and eventually loose morale since their careers will stall at middle management simply because there are fewer slots for advancement to Band 4 and beyond. So while P&G hires some of the most talented people in the world, the company doesn't do a great job at providing enough people with room to grow.

Compensation is only OK. Most Band 2's and Band 3's will live quite comfortably in Cincinnati (Mason, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, or Westchester). The cost of living there is truly laughable. But the compensation system doesn't do much to motivate employees. In most functions, getting a 1 rating may seem arbitrary, and when attained, it's anticlimactic. And if you've realized that you haven't been anointed to move beyond Band 3 (ie. no international assignment or slow promotion to Band 3), an occasional 1 rating seems like you've just been thrown a bone. Bonus incentives, beyond STAR awards, don't kick in until Band 4 and higher. And as mentioned, most P&G'ers won't rise that high in the company. So most workers in the trenches do just enough to maintain a 2 rating, and not much else.

The benefits have been deteriorating over the years. While this is true at most companies, P&G also suffers from an antiquated profit-sharing system. As time goes on, incoming generations are decreasingly impressed by the delayed gratification that is P&G Profit Sharing. The company emphasizes its historic stock performance while glossing over the fact that the company is so large that it will never see the growth that it saw in the 1980's ever again.

Lastly, being a P&G'er isn't truly realized until you leave P&G. In my new role, my colleagues are visibly impressed with my P&G "pedigree". The company has a great reputation for grooming leaders. But under P&G's current management, the best opportunity to lead is often found outside of P&G.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for performance. STAR doesn't tie performance of individuals to payout. Employees would be much more motivated by well-defined bonus targets which correlate to cash and equity incentives. This should be available to all Band 3's.

Pay more. I moved to NY after leaving the company and while the cost of living here is ridiculous, my salary jumped by more than $40k, and my bonus payment this year matched my entire profit sharing disbursement from P&G. Managers tend to suggest that salaries are adjusted from coastal scales because the cost of living is so much cheaper in Cincinnati. But they don't consider that the cost of living on the coasts is higher because coastal cities are in much higher demand than Cincinnati. I truly can't imagine taking a pay cut to move from NYC to Cincinnati, Ohio. In fact, I would take a pay cut at my current job to avoid moving to Cincinnati from NYC.

Pay attention. My generation is much more transparent than current P&G managers. We discuss pay, benefits, managers, etc. We want our friends to do well in life. And if we feel that there are better opportunities for our peers outside of P&G, we have no qualms about letting them know. Our transparency should be considered a major threat to the company's ability to retain top talent at band 3 and lower.

Has been a great company to get a lot of technical understanding

ProsVery good technical foundation
Good foundation in understanding how products make it to market
Understanding consumer need and how to drive it to market
Promote within

ConsVery competitive when it comes to promotions
They benchmark with other companies
Need to be more competitive in recruiting
Need to recruit all over USA

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter direction to continue to grow employees to help them achieve the next level in their careers. Continue to understand employees work life balance

A great place to grow

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

ProsThe company promotes within and really fosters an environment in which you are able to develop. Provide help to get you started.

ConsIt's a very rigorous process to get in, but that's necessary in order to get the best talent. Prepare for your interview.

Great resume builder and an employer that you would feel comfortable spending a career

R&D Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

ProsWork-life balance, excellent benefits, flexible work schedules, challenging projects, ability to transfer within the company, personal mastery opportunities, excellent resume builder

ConsWithin R&D, difficult to move from the research track to an engineering track, although the actual job requirements are the same, minus $20k a year

Good Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Procter & Gamble

ProsYou work with some of the brightest stars in corporate america

ConsSome of these bright stars cant lead others

Advice to Senior ManagementReview whether a manager has developed a group of leaders in the organization before promoting them. My mgr lost 80% of his reports over 4 years before being promoted.

Good company to gain experience

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

ProsP&G is very structured with principle and discipline. You will gain vast experience within the company working in cross functional teams.

ConsP&G is a very large company. Therefore, its structure may prohibit some talent individuals due to its career advancement paths.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the strong leadership to lead the company and employees touching life everyday through good and bad economic situations.

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!

Procter & Gamble – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​Did you know P&G products are enjoyed 4.6 billion times a day in over 180 countries, making us perhaps the two most successful letters on the planet?​​​​​​ With the strongest portfolio of trusted, quality… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Procter & Gamble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Procter & Gamble employees.