Procter & Gamble

Procter & Gamble Reviews

3.7

Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley
A.G. Lafley

Pros
  • Everyone is empowered to improve the Business while there is a great work-life balance (in 169 reviews)

• P&G is known as the company with the best marketing and brand management training (in 256 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a problem in the current environment long hours expected (in 168 reviews)

• Their are not enough traditional P&G managers in the acquisition sites as well (in 225 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

1. Great people to work with
    2. Challenging work

Cons

1. Networking is key
    2. Upward Mobility can be slow after few years

lots of professional learning & variety of experiences - if you want to devote your life to the company for a promotion.

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Brand Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Brand Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

unbelievable training ground, smart people, lots of flexibility with career path.

Cons

in addition to building the business, you have to build the organization like developing large scale trainings or run the united way campaign with a team. If you don't do enough, you're penalized during annual reviews when the people who have no lives outside of work trump you.

Stop direct placement & let people interview for roles they want not roles you put them into directly. You're resurrecting the 'Proctoid' reputation.

good

Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

large well respected company. Broad range of research oppertunities available with in the company makes finding your area of interest easy

Cons

Some history of viewing 4 year degree's or nonscience degreed R&D personel as a pair of hands. This seems to be inmproving in recent years

A lot of progress has been made in empowering employees with the open job posting system in which internal jobs are posted so everyone in the company can see/apply.

Loved it

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Great challenge and you meet alot of really smart people. You also get to work with alot of other functions liek finane and cmk etc..

Cons

Very hard, many hours worked. Expect to work mininum of 50 hours a week. Alot of people will sign back on and work around 8 o clock.

Has been a great company to get a lot of technical understanding

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Very good technical foundation
    Good foundation in understanding how products make it to market
    Understanding consumer need and how to drive it to market
    Promote within

Cons

Very competitive when it comes to promotions
    They benchmark with other companies
    Need to be more competitive in recruiting
    Need to recruit all over USA

Better direction to continue to grow employees to help them achieve the next level in their careers. Continue to understand employees work life balance

Outstanding Resume Builder

I worked at Procter & Gamble

Pros

P&G is probably the ideal place to start a career. For recent grads, you'll receive excellent training, and be exposed to sophisticated systems and procedures. P&G is a very structured environment, which may not truly be appreciated until you venture outside of the company.

Whether you consider your training there to be formal or informal, you're guaranteed to learn the best practices in whatever function you're in. I recommend that new hires immerse themselves in the environment and culture, and soak up as much as possible. There's a lot to learn if you put in the time.

I genuinely enjoyed my colleagues, and I think Cincinnati is an interesting place to live for a period of time. As someone from the East Coast, I think a stint in the midwest was a real eye-opener for me. Yes, the town lacks diversity and is very insular. But living there helped me to understand why people in the region think a certain way.

Cons

Bob McDonald is focused on reducing the layers of management at P&G. The strategy will surely help the company to become more agile and improve decision making. But this also means that the average employee will find a ceiling at Band 3. So most P&G'ers will feel frustrated and eventually loose morale since their careers will stall at middle management simply because there are fewer slots for advancement to Band 4 and beyond. So while P&G hires some of the most talented people in the world, the company doesn't do a great job at providing enough people with room to grow.

Compensation is only OK. Most Band 2's and Band 3's will live quite comfortably in Cincinnati (Mason, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, or Westchester). The cost of living there is truly laughable. But the compensation system doesn't do much to motivate employees. In most functions, getting a 1 rating may seem arbitrary, and when attained, it's anticlimactic. And if you've realized that you haven't been anointed to move beyond Band 3 (ie. no international assignment or slow promotion to Band 3), an occasional 1 rating seems like you've just been thrown a bone. Bonus incentives, beyond STAR awards, don't kick in until Band 4 and higher. And as mentioned, most P&G'ers won't rise that high in the company. So most workers in the trenches do just enough to maintain a 2 rating, and not much else.

The benefits have been deteriorating over the years. While this is true at most companies, P&G also suffers from an antiquated profit-sharing system. As time goes on, incoming generations are decreasingly impressed by the delayed gratification that is P&G Profit Sharing. The company emphasizes its historic stock performance while glossing over the fact that the company is so large that it will never see the growth that it saw in the 1980's ever again.

Lastly, being a P&G'er isn't truly realized until you leave P&G. In my new role, my colleagues are visibly impressed with my P&G "pedigree". The company has a great reputation for grooming leaders. But under P&G's current management, the best opportunity to lead is often found outside of P&G.

Pay for performance. STAR doesn't tie performance of individuals to payout. Employees would be much more motivated by well-defined bonus targets which correlate to cash and equity incentives. This should be available to all Band 3's.

Pay more. I moved to NY after leaving the company and while the cost of living here is ridiculous, my salary jumped by more than $40k, and my bonus payment this year matched my entire profit sharing disbursement from P&G. Managers tend to suggest that salaries are adjusted from coastal scales because the cost of living is so much cheaper in Cincinnati. But they don't consider that the cost of living on the coasts is higher because coastal cities are in much higher demand than Cincinnati. I truly can't imagine taking a pay cut to move from NYC to Cincinnati, Ohio. In fact, I would take a pay cut at my current job to avoid moving to Cincinnati from NYC.

Pay attention. My generation is much more transparent than current P&G managers. We discuss pay, benefits, managers, etc. We want our friends to do well in life. And if we feel that there are better opportunities for our peers outside of P&G, we have no qualms about letting them know. Our transparency should be considered a major threat to the company's ability to retain top talent at band 3 and lower.

A great place to grow

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

The company promotes within and really fosters an environment in which you are able to develop. Provide help to get you started.

Cons

It's a very rigorous process to get in, but that's necessary in order to get the best talent. Prepare for your interview.

Great resume builder and an employer that you would feel comfortable spending a career

Current Employee - R&D Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - R&D Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Work-life balance, excellent benefits, flexible work schedules, challenging projects, ability to transfer within the company, personal mastery opportunities, excellent resume builder

Cons

Within R&D, difficult to move from the research track to an engineering track, although the actual job requirements are the same, minus $20k a year

Good Place to work

I worked at Procter & Gamble

Pros

You work with some of the brightest stars in corporate america

Cons

Some of these bright stars cant lead others

Review whether a manager has developed a group of leaders in the organization before promoting them. My mgr lost 80% of his reports over 4 years before being promoted.

Good company with good values, probably not the best of times

Current Employee - Section Head in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Section Head in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

great values, great people, opportunity to grow professionally (dont expect too many promotions - very flat org). Great products and good market share

Cons

work life balance, lack of clear and continued vision - one day its profits, one day its innovation, next day is global expansion.

get closer to your employees, not only consumers. Be transparent, open and honest about issues and change. re-create that "family" feeling we had a few years back. CUT BACK ON bureaucracy!!!!, it slows us down big titme!