Procter & Gamble Reviews

3.9
2,354 Reviews
Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley
A.G. Lafley

Pros
  • Everyone is empowered to improve the Business while there is a great work-life balance (in 169 reviews)

• P&G is known as the company with the best marketing and brand management training (in 256 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a problem in the current environment long hours expected (in 168 reviews)

• Their are not enough traditional P&G managers in the acquisition sites as well (in 225 reviews)

1. Cell Storage

I worked at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Boss and people you work with

Cons

Attitude of company toward employees

Have good attitude toward employees and talk to them in person

2. Promise the world, deliver the opposite

Current Employee - Distriubtion Requirements Planning Manager in Warsaw (Poland)

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The give you a sense of worth that they are investing everything in you. Training is very good, no rush to get work started at the beginning, but this changes very quickly

Cons

Very unflexible company, expect you to do everything they want including relocate, change roles regularly, work weird hours, and travel only on personal time. Pay is not competitive at all when comparing earnings in Poland to other parts of Europe.

Outline a clear development plan for your employees or admit you don't have one. Being lied to gets tiring after a while. If employees ask for some flexibility like leaving early on a Friday once in a while or combining a businesstrip with a personal trip, then think about it at least. Don't be the way you are!!! And learn to promote leaders, and not just keep them on the hook for 8 years!!!

i may be expecting too much

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

people are incredibly nice! You have to either commit a crime or commit an eggregious error to get fired

Cons

terrible work/life balance. Affecting stock price is always top of mind when managers (Band 3+) make decisions. Their compensation is based on it. Look it up - it's called STAR. You will need to go back to the Mother Ship in Cincy to move your career forward. Diversity there is pretty low. They all drank the punch.

reconsider COLA for those in SF/ NYC

5. P&G Reducing Workforce in USA

Former Employee - D-Level A&T in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - D-Level A&T in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble

Pros

I loved working for P&G, but with each year, it was becoming more obvious that the focus of the company is not the USA. The company has great compensation.

Cons

P&G is moving their focus to the Asia market, reducing their American workforce in order to beef up their Asian operations. P&G benefits have decreased dramatically over the last 10 years until their benefits are no longer a good incentive to hire on or remain employed there.

The A&T system in the USA is broken. Most Admins are doing the work of Band I employees, yet A&T's are not rewarded with recognition or promotion opportunities.

If you don't play the game, prepare to get played

I worked at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the Researcher position the pay is nice, even for the Midwest

Cons

Cincinnati-a city that hopes to Chicago or Indy, but is too stuck in its ways to become great. Life of a young professional here pretty much is dead. Pretty much like the companies in the city

Politics-you literally have to spend as much time on actual work, as you do managing your career if you want to get ahead. A lot of brown nosing.

Boring work-gets pretty mundane in R&D

Work Life Balance-What is that? I worked on average 6 days a week, pulling down 50+ hours. During plant EOs, 18hr days were the norm.

At the Researcher position, there is literally no career progression. You get one promotion (Sr. Researcher) for the entirety of your career, and that is it (you do get pay increases). Your engineering friends will out earn you (they start at ~$20K more than you do) and have the career of their dreams, while you are stuck at one position for the rest of your career. But you won't initially be told this. You won't find this out until you go to a onboarding training where they show you the percentages of people at each level, and what percent make it to their desired level in the TCS.

Odd TCS placement: There were people with MS/MPHs and other graduate degrees that were at the same level as I was with a BS.

Middle Manager Glut-the band 3 manager position is insanely bloated with untalented people, who only seek the money. Not people who know, or want to learn how to manage

Company Culture- They talk a good game about managers being flexible, and understanding the needs of their employees. Your section head/AD can literally decree: No flex time and no OT. So I just worked 12hrs, and I am expected to be here tomorrow before 9am? And I won't get pay for that additional 4 hrs I worked? GTF. But you will always have friends in other business units where flex time is the norm.

Egos/Hierarchy-It exists. Like, literally the time you go to lunch tells where you are on the totem pole at some R&D sites. Also, the stroking of egos must be done to get ahead. And never outshine your daily coach, in any fashion, you will regret it, because they will feel intimidated.

My advise: Go to graduate school, teach, do whatever, cause you won't be happy here. The city is very conservative and not a great place for young people, the company doesn't understand Millennials or what we desire in our careers, I never felt that I was making a difference in the world selling tooth paste, or paper towels.

If you want to sit in your cube, kiss up to people who are not really that talented just to get ahead, then this is the place for you.

Its running the way you designed it to run, so do what makes you happy. It is not a sustainable though.

7. Not so great company anymore

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

PG is big so there is a lot to learn

Cons

because it is so big you own a tiny piece of your work. the company is not as good as it once was.

Stop cutting everything

8. A training ground for cogs in a machine.

Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary for the midwest.

Cons

You will work endless hours on menial tasks that provide you almost no credentials outside of P&G. You will be given no real responsibility for at least 5 years after joining. Its filled with white people in a city that has 1% asian, hispanic, or other. If you are ethnic you are brought on for being ethnic and pushed to a corner to fill their ethnic quota. They are constantly firing people. There is no oversight of how managers treat their employees. HRs only job is to protect the company from its employees.

The culture is toxic and slow. Your people look like they are "doing" alot but its all busy work. Take the hand cuffs off your people.

9. Don't waste your life away!

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture amongst the operators and engineers is good. Some of the lead management team isn't too bad either.
    Salary is great, considering it's the manufacturing industry and lets face it (the site I work in only produces perfume.. We're not saving any lives here)... However, considering the 12 hour days, pretty much every day, you end up making less than what some make, flipping burgers at McDonald's!

Cons

Unbelievably long hours! Tiring!
    If you join as an engineer, don't be surprised when you have to clean floors and wipe boards when the big guns come to the site for a visit. You are the lowest of the lowest. And every so often, you'll have to work as an operator for a couple of hours a day. This helps their productivity results. But at the end of the day, you're still expected to have your daily responsibilities done anyway. All it takes is for you to stay at work an extra couple of hours every freaking day!

Treat employees right. Have another look at the working hours. If all your employees are struggling to get their job done in less than 10 hours a day, then maybe, just maybe, you're asking too much of them!

10. Outstanding company, great development, but don't expect to be paid too well......

Current Employee - Finance in Weybridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance in Weybridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time

Pros

World class leadership development
    Good work life balance
    Obtain great depth of experience

Cons

You have to move around to progress
    Salaries are weak and slow to catchup with trends
    Progression can be unnecessarily painful

11. All about it

I worked at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Good products, brands and distribution

Cons

Company is very hierarchical, slow in decision making and it works in your favor base don who you know and not what you know.