Procter & Gamble

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.9 1,907 reviews

Procter & Gamble CEO A.G. Lafley

A.G. Lafley

Pros
  • Everyone is empowered to improve the Business while there is a great work-life balance (in 139 reviews)

• The courses you take here will stay with you even after you leave P&G (in 235 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance can be hard to keep if you are not deliberate about it (in 153 reviews)

• Their are not enough traditional P&G managers in the acquisition sites as well (in 206 reviews)

More Highlights
1,907 Employee Reviews

Great company with energetic capable people within but with bias management may hinder individual progression.

Team Lead (Former Employee)

ProsCompany wellness programs and benefits are quite attractive. Housing and car interest subsidy is a bonus. Very good intensive training in certain departments. When given opportunity, there is many room for progression. Career/ performance mapping for individual helps drives clear objective.

ConsBias management and some non qualified managers. More transparency required dealing with issues. Not much room for contractors to perform, imbalance work load for employees.

Great Company IF You come in at a Management Level

Product Supply D Level (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsRecognizable brands, mostly smart people, well respected company, good culture, tuition reimbursement, work from home opportunities, slightly better than average pay, flexible work hours, pleasant working environment. Benefits are decent.

ConsPromote from within culture is only true at certain levels. Moving from A&T into management roles is next to impossible, regardless of your rating, and only becoming more difficult.

The company is leaning out, which has resulted in more work with less people. Highly rated D level employees are now doing work that was classified as Band 2 (two BIG promotions above D) as recently as a year ago. Often times leadership considers employees ready for management level work and responsibility, but not ready for management level pay.

Additionally, lackluster employees are given too much slack and are often passed from organization to organization. This leaves top performers picking up the slack from layoff's as well as carrying some of their dead weight teammates.

Movement in mid level management is too frequent and breeds a culture of constant change and unfamiliarity with roles. Some VP and directors are too far removed from the businesses they lead, this can result in their goals being force fed to the rank in file, regardless if the goal align with buisness needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within and slow down on the 22 year old "top talent". Employees who are proven, with degrees from equivalent schools as the B1 hires, are leaving and rightfully so.

Show non producers the door.

Stabilize middle management.

machine technician

MACHINE TECH (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros* good amount of freedom
    *no close supervision which allows you to just focus on your job
    * always a task that needed to be done
    *good environment

Consthere were no cons to the job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ongoing learning curve

ConsDecision making leadtime
    Process
    Data, data, data....
    Too many people involved in decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify, simplify, simplify. Just make it happens!

Great place to acquire experience!

Customer & Channel Marketing (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsThis company has an enormous focus on professional development, strong values and a good environment to work! There you'll have a carreer plan, they really want to develop from inside, so there are lots of trainings and opportunities. It's a great company.

ConsMarket conjecture sometimes affects a lot company's climate and career's plans.

The functions are winning, and the business is losing

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsGood comp and incredibly smart people. Everybody is smart and professional. Very good standards and systems in place - good, structured training early on in a person's career. Very polite culture. Has a legacy of being a meritocracy and sometimes results still matter. Can often be generous with work life balance opportunities - work from home and flex work. At the Director level there are several instances of key leaders working location free (one director lives in New Mexico while her team is in Cincinnati, and another director lives in Connecticut with her business unit in Baltimore).

ConsLack of sales growth has resulted in an exclusive focus on cost cutting and productivity. Most managers who are comfortable with risk have self selected themselves out - leaving a mature management generation that is highly risk averse. The functions have gained too much power, and there is often pressure to do "what's right for the function" vs. doing what's right for the business unit. The business is so big that it is often not clear who is accountable to deliver results and many of the VP and above leaders are out of touch with how work get's done. The key requirement for promotion has become cheer leading and stroking management's ego (versus it used to be measurable results).

Advice to Senior ManagementHold leaders accountable for their results - my current general manager has missed her number 6 years in a row, and she remains the GM - which is disappointing. She is a good example of knowing how to work the system and has a way to blame any miss on a different group. Spit the company up - we all believe scare has value but we have so much scale it is crushing the brands and businesses. We have at least two layers of management that just manage across sectors and categories - and add very little value - but claim to be driving scale. At a minimum run the company more like a confederation versus a highly centralized and controlled republic.

Big Company

ProsTons of great people at this company

ConsSeveral not so great people

A great summer engineering internship program. Learned a lot about the industry

Summer Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

ProsCompany values are highly appreciated and followed almost in all instances. My project was challenging from day one. Company culture is highly supportive.

ConsThe job is very demanding and time consuming

Great opportunities

Assistant Brand Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosrespected by other companies, can easily get another job

Consdifficult to get initial job here

Great place to work: lots of freedom, lots of responsibility.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsI am currently an intern here and the pay is really, really good (bi-weekly salary of $2,215). The best part of the internship is that you can actually contribute to the company. The projects I am working on will legitimately make a difference in the plant I am in. Like I said earlier, they give you a ton of work to do but kind of leave it up to you to figure out how to get it done.

ConsIn order to move up in this company, P&G has to become your life. Lots of people say they work to live, but if you want to move up in the ranks, you will have to live to work. Being young, this isn't a problem, but when the time comes and I want to have a family, I don't think I will be able to advance my career much more (at P&G).

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the workers, give them more time off.

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!