Procter & Gamble Technical Centers

Updated November 10, 2014
3.9

Procter & Gamble Technical Centers Chairman President & CEO Bob. McDonald
Bob. McDonald

Pros
  • In terms of compensation, P&G treats people extremely well (in 5 reviews)

• good benefits to direct supply people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many true-believer employees believe that P&G can do no wrong (in 5 reviews)

• The basic motivations are tribal: to protect one's own group and "fiefdom" within the organization (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Learning Ground- Fight till you learn the most-if you dont grow use your knowledge outside

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most people you work with are decent, trustworthy. Good compensation, the company takes good care of you. Fairly flat organization. You can do whatever you choose to as long you connect it to the business and deliver. Amazing foundational value system called PVP. Very high ethics...

Cons

Too soft on low performers. Too many "leaders" and very few "followers". Everyone wants to lead and few wants to really work and deliver something. Some have rigged the system, so by simply playing enough politics they grow until they hit the wall...too much rope...they do finally hang but only after too much damage...even if you are a top performer, promotions are very slow...middle management is essentially powerless...Technically shallow...too much internal competition

Create a truly performance based system. Don't run the company just on relationships...make Zero tolerance for internal competition and politics. Allow young people to grow fast, create official fast path for the really capable...bring back entrepreneurial spirit...

review

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

industry leader and international corporation

Cons

nothing but the management style

To be painfully honest...

Former Employee - Senior Scientist
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist

I worked at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In terms of compensation, P&G treats people extremely well. If you produce things of value to the company, or are perceived to do so, you can succeed at P&G. There are also generous opportunities to learn. The benefits package has historically been superior. Many talented people work for P&G. Top management - with some exceptions and with many bumps along the road - knows how to execute to win in the market. Overall, I am confident P&G will endure and succeed for its' stockholders (and I am one of them). However growth will likely be slow.

Cons

The simple truth is that the stated core values of the Company are essentially not followed by - I daresay - most employees. This may not have always been true, but I believe this is a "built in" problem created by "the way the system works". The internal culture will not admit mistakes and basically people are force-rated by their colleagues who are organized into departmental 'silos'. The basic motivations are tribal: to protect one's own group and "fiefdom" within the organization. But - as a "value" - this isn't the same thing as working for the greater good of the Company itself. So when mistakes are made (as they inevitably are), they are often covered up. It gets worse insofar as long as you fabricate a positive result for "the good of the group" you can literally be rewarded even though almost everyone knows what you claim just can't be so. I tried to talk about this with my management and I was repeatedly told - basically - to just go away. Many true-believer employees believe that P&G can do no wrong. They also think loyalty means doing whatever you are told (even if it is both unethical and bad for the Company n the long run). These people tend to stay. In effect, they make up the core of the Company. So a lot of unethical practices and internal manipulation of data is just laughed off, or called an "opportunity for improvement" (with a smile as if to say - we know it really won't be improved). If it were only a few cases of such behavior, given the talent at the Company and the long-term rewards, a reasonable person might just decide to overlook these cultural problems. However, at P&G, you can do well without being ethical or fair and many people know it. Then, core values become deeply eroded when there is really no punishment for violating them and people know it. Over time one learns the company is far more fearful of negative publicity than internal dishonesty. So the structure of rewards, ratings, and organization means a certain level of dishonesty is literally advantaged. For me, over time, this was a real problem. It affected my sleep, my work, and my sense of pride. I am glad to have left.

Put teeth in your claimed values if you want to be taken seriously by serious people. Otherwise, please stop pretending to be what you are not.

Great people, Great company

Former Employee - Consumer Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Consumer Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are very bright and very ethical.
    Excellent benefits
    Interesting work
    Lots of opportunity to provide leadership
    Always trying to improve way work processes - open to "newness"

Cons

Hard to complain - great company. If anything, too much time spent on "build the organization" silliness - recognize/reward people for real results not "created this presentation/display/seminar" therefore I'm an expert that's training others.

How can you complain about the management of a company that's lasted as long as P&G?? Keep of the good work of developing future leaders!!

P&G Manufacturing

Current Employee - Initiatives Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Initiatives Leader in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great leadership experience and opportunities

Cons

Can make for some long days but that tends to come and go with the calendar year. Constant pressure for productivity. Do more and more with less

Best Company I have ever worked

Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Raises are great and the company tries to do the right thing. The ability to move up.

Cons

Cubes!, the budget restraints and stock price

Talk to individuals at the lower levels to determine what needs to change to make things better both for the company and the employees.

R&D overview at the bottom up

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

"Stable" for now - not sure about the future.

Cons

lack of management decision making

Great Company, Questionable Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great co workers
    Great brands
    Good salary & benefits
    Challenging work

Cons

Senior managment
    Little to no opportunity for promotion

Better than Most

Current Employee - Corporate Function R&D in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Function R&D in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

P&G's compensation and benefits package is quite good, especially in this area. The size of the Company provides a wide range of jobs in every global region.

Cons

Bureaucracy is always an obstacle in a large multi-national company. Although scale is typically a great advantage, it indeed makes it difficult to quickly move projects forward.

P&G opens more doors for you regarding preferences such as location, career path and promotions.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Mehoopany, PA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Mehoopany, PA

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

International and great in size, providing opportunities in any career path, location or product you want to work with.
    The company really takes care of you and wants you to be happy as a Manager of the company.

Cons

In the Product Supply Global Business Unit, there is constant misalignment between Managers and the operating work force causing flow of work to not be as smooth.
    Recent downfall in benefits provided to employee (most likely due to global market climate)

Improve the recognition within the company. If we can generate a better alignment between management and operators we would generate better results with less effort (smoothly). Operators just want to do their job during their shift (make sure the machine is running) and go home to their families, which makes total sense if you see things through their eyes; however, it is necessary to make them want the best not for themselves, but for the company as a whole, like what the managers want. So in order to solve this principal-agent problem we just need to provide them with better recognition for their work through public recognition and monetary awards, thus enforcing the company-operator goal synchronization.