Procter & Gamble Technical Centers Reviews

Reset
3.8
Procter & Gamble Technical Centers Chairman President & CEO Bob. McDonald
Bob. McDonald

Pros
  • In terms of compensation, P&G treats people extremely well (in 5 reviews)

• good benefits to direct supply people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many true-believer employees believe that P&G can do no wrong (in 5 reviews)

• The basic motivations are tribal: to protect one's own group and "fiefdom" within the organization (in 2 reviews)

1. Material Supplier Management Analyst

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and depending on Manager good work home life balance.

Cons

Too much swirl when trying to make desicions. Too many layers of Management. Usually do not promote to Management positions from within the Company. Want to only recruit managers from outside regardless of skills, education and years of service the people within the Company already have.

Advice to Management

Promote from within to Management and take advantage of the skill set that current employees have to offer.

2. Good company to work for

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers as an intern

Pros

Passionate co-works and the mentor-ship they provided to the interns

Cons

Can't think of any. i would recommend this company

3. review

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

industry leader and international corporation

Cons

nothing but the management style

To be painfully honest...

Former Employee - Senior Scientist
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist

I worked at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In terms of compensation, P&G treats people extremely well. If you produce things of value to the company, or are perceived to do so, you can succeed at P&G. There are also generous opportunities to learn. The benefits package has historically been superior. Many talented people work for P&G. Top management - with some exceptions and with many bumps along the road - knows how to execute to win in the market. Overall, I am confident P&G will endure and succeed for its' stockholders (and I am one of them). However growth will likely be slow.

Cons

The simple truth is that the stated core values of the Company are essentially not followed by - I daresay - most employees. This may not have always been true, but I believe this is a "built in" problem created by "the way the system works". The internal culture will not admit mistakes and basically people are force-rated by their colleagues who are organized into departmental 'silos'. The basic motivations are tribal: to protect one's own group and "fiefdom" within the organization. But - as a "value" - this isn't the same thing as working for the greater good of the Company itself. So when mistakes are made (as they inevitably are), they are often covered up. It gets worse insofar as long as you fabricate a positive result for "the good of the group" you can literally be rewarded even though almost everyone knows what you claim just can't be so. I tried to talk about this with my management and I was repeatedly told - basically - to just go away. Many true-believer employees believe that P&G can do no wrong. They also think loyalty means doing whatever you are told (even if it is both unethical and bad for the Company n the long run). These people tend to stay. In effect, they make up the core of the Company. So a lot of unethical practices and internal manipulation of data is just laughed off, or called an "opportunity for improvement" (with a smile as if to say - we know it really won't be improved). If it were only a few cases of such behavior, given the talent at the Company and the long-term rewards, a reasonable person might just decide to overlook these cultural problems. However, at P&G, you can do well without being ethical or fair and many people know it. Then, core values become deeply eroded when there is really no punishment for violating them and people know it. Over time one learns the company is far more fearful of negative publicity than internal dishonesty. So the structure of rewards, ratings, and organization means a certain level of dishonesty is literally advantaged. For me, over time, this was a real problem. It affected my sleep, my work, and my sense of pride. I am glad to have left.

Advice to Management

Put teeth in your claimed values if you want to be taken seriously by serious people. Otherwise, please stop pretending to be what you are not.

Great Learning Ground- Fight till you learn the most-if you dont grow use your knowledge outside

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people you work with are decent, trustworthy. Good compensation, the company takes good care of you. Fairly flat organization. You can do whatever you choose to as long you connect it to the business and deliver. Amazing foundational value system called PVP. Very high ethics...

Cons

Too soft on low performers. Too many "leaders" and very few "followers". Everyone wants to lead and few wants to really work and deliver something. Some have rigged the system, so by simply playing enough politics they grow until they hit the wall...too much rope...they do finally hang but only after too much damage...even if you are a top performer, promotions are very slow...middle management is essentially powerless...Technically shallow...too much internal competition

Advice to Management

Create a truly performance based system. Don't run the company just on relationships...make Zero tolerance for internal competition and politics. Allow young people to grow fast, create official fast path for the really capable...bring back entrepreneurial spirit...

7. Great people, Great company

Former Employee - Consumer Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Consumer Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are very bright and very ethical. Excellent benefits Interesting work Lots of opportunity to provide leadership Always trying to improve way work processes - open to "newness"

Cons

Hard to complain - great company. If anything, too much time spent on "build the organization" silliness - recognize/reward people for real results not "created this presentation/display/seminar" therefore I'm an expert that's training others.

Advice to Management

How can you complain about the management of a company that's lasted as long as P&G?? Keep of the good work of developing future leaders!!

8. P&G Manufacturing

Current Employee - Initiatives Leader in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Initiatives Leader in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Procter & Gamble Technical Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great leadership experience and opportunities

Cons

Can make for some long days but that tends to come and go with the calendar year. Constant pressure for productivity. Do more and more with less

9. Best Company I have ever worked

Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Raises are great and the company tries to do the right thing. The ability to move up.

Cons

Cubes!, the budget restraints and stock price

Advice to Management

Talk to individuals at the lower levels to determine what needs to change to make things better both for the company and the employees.

10. R&D overview at the bottom up

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

"Stable" for now - not sure about the future.

Cons

lack of management decision making

11. Great Company, Questionable Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great co workers Great brands Good salary & benefits Challenging work

Cons

Senior managment Little to no opportunity for promotion

RSS Feed </> Embed