Procurian Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.8

Procurian CEO Carl A. Guarino
Carl A. Guarino

Pros
  • fast growing company, work-life balance, competence of C-level executives (in 4 reviews)

• Growing company and more opportunities (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management are "bleacher coaches" (in 4 reviews)

• If your in middle management in a practice its very hard to get ahead (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware

Current Employee - Beware You Are Told One Thing and When You Get In ITS Another Thing in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

No micro managing of work, good starting pay

Cons

Poor communications of changes, very high turn over rates (most people leave within 1-2 years)

Have better support structure in place,

Ok

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

Fast growth, tenacious company with aggressive goals

Cons

Hard to please clients. Way too slow to go public

Miserable place to work. Constant turnover, incompetent upper management, bad customer contracts

Current Employee - Short On Project Management, Long On Contract Feuds and Drama in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

Some of the sourcing work was strong. The stronger sourcing leaders negotiated good deals for customers. However, the leaders I worked for tried to push good deals to ridiculous deals, and suppliers backed out. They wanted suppliers to provide goods essentially for free..which resulted in long delays in securing supplier contracts.

Cons

Not sure where the other comments have came from on this site. But across-the-board employees were miserable at this company, and turnover was through the roof. Professionals in the field were given unreasonable expectations and treated like trash. Working conditions at client sites were abysmal, and employees were allowed $25/day per diem to eat, among other ridiculous items. People I've interviewed recently who have worked there relay similar stories, so things haven't changed.

The Vice Presidents should all be replaced, along with their cronies in the field. Secure some project management expertise (real PM stuff, not the work you're doing now, which you call project management) and have honest contracts with both customers and suppliers. Treat supplier negotiations as win/win vs. I win, you lose. Treat your employees honestly and with respect. And get a bigger office.

Like the other person said, be careful.

Current Employee - Procurement in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Good Experience
    Potential to move up the ladder

Cons

ICG Commerce has a friendly work environment and everyone has potential to grow. However, you have to be lucky to be placed in a buying center that has the management who can train. I'm currently employed with the company, so i'm not going to be giving the company name we're outsourcing for. But we recently let go one of our employees because they struggled with their performance. The employee was still learning since they'er new. I blame it on the management who hasn't trained well enough for them to succeed. I also knew some other employees who haven't been given a good hand here. I don't know if this is the reason why ICG chooses to hire temps instead of hiring within the company to avoid any legality.

Find a better way to train employees. Everyone has their own learning curve and it's important to communicate. Don't just say, "Look over your notes" and continue chatting with your friends. Perhaps start interviewing the employees yourselves instead of having the temp agencies do it for you. That way you can have a better understanding on who you're bringing on board. In this economy, people can't afford to be taken advantage of.

Somewhat frustrating

Current Employee - Sourcing Lead in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Lead in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

Fats paced, exciting, tremendous growth

Cons

incompetent middle management, inequitable salary increase and bonus distribution

Clean up middle managemnt

Be very careful with this company.

Former Employee - Temp Procurement in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Temp Procurement in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Procurian

Pros

Friendly Atmosphere
    Free Coffee
    Room for advancement
    Good training

Cons

When I joined ICG Commerce, the fist thing they had me do was training. I took good notes and observed everyone at my buying center for two weeks. However, I was let go without given a reason as to why. I showed up on time, took plenty of notes, asked good questions and did everything they told me to do. Two weeks after I started, I was told not to come back by the recruiter from the temp agency, not ICG Commerce themselves. I wasn't given any actual work there, just went through training.

If you were to get a job with these guys, make sure you know what you're doing. If you have a good stable job already before ICG Commerce, keep it!

The buying center I worked for was the whirlpool buying center. Everyone in that buying center is nice to you. However, don't trust the ones in charge.

If you're going to let someone go, tell them in person and tell them why they're being let go. Don't be cowards and have the temp agency do your dirty work. I'm sure i'm not the only person who went through something like this. Grow up and be professional.

You will learn, You will work hard, Your experience will vary.

Current Employee - Sourcing Lead in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Lead in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

Besides AT Kearney, ICGC really is the best place to be a sourcing professional if you are looking to grow. You will be put into new and challenging situations often. You will work very hard, but will learn an absolute ton. The name recognition of ICG Commerce in the sourcing world is very strong. Working here for one year is like three anywhere else and you will be recruited as a result. Unfortunately, you will have to sign a non-compete clause, so you will need to lie when you leave. You will be exposed to many of the best and the brightest in the sourcing world and while everyone is busy, everyone I have worked with will spend their time to help you when you need it. Your experience will differ completely based on your clients and managers. ICG Commerce generally works with consumer packaged goods and manufacturing clients, so it is a little less demanding than the financial clients. Overall, the management is receptive to new ideas and willing to experiment and CEO Carl Guarino is great. HQ in KOP is great if you like a caual work environment and can get used to pod life without any cubical walls. It encourages interaction with your team. If you have ADD and look up everytime someone walks by, this is not the place for you.

Cons

ICGC's internal structure is difficult to navigate. You will need to be in KOP to learn how the company works when you are hired. People outside of KOP such as Category Leads and Program Managers will find you need to be back in KOP more often then you thought, even though the systems make it very easy to work from anywhere. The project management tool is great, but takes lots of time if used correctly. If you are not good with change, you should not work here. ICG Commerce is growing at 30% per year, and as such, ICG is suffering from the growing pains everyone would - you are likely to be overworked at times.

As ICGC grows and it gets harder to find quality consultants in KOP, consider offices in other major cities with sourcing talent. PMs have financial incentives that are not in line with overall company performance. Growth once at "Lead" level is very limited.

Good learning workplace

Current Employee - Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

work-life balance
    high growth
    Good work hours

Cons

Low pay
    Weak middle management
    Could be more disciplined

Increase Senior Management mentoring and merit based reviews

An opportunity to develop breadth and depth

I have been working at Procurian

Pros

High energy, rapidly growing with a start up mentality but an ability to deliver like an established player. Strong benefits for a small company, and the size truly enables one to contribute to company growth and development. Visible CEO who basically rescued a company that previously lacked a coherent growth strategy.

Cons

Cash compensation is less than the industry norm, middle management is weak, arrogant and prone to cronyism; heavy individual work loads negatively impact work product quality. Drive to establish internal processes has bureaucratized the company and created competing layers of management.

Think about the impact the end of the recession will have on your staff.

Good place to learn and grow

Former Employee - Category Manager in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Canton, OH

I worked at Procurian

Pros

They will give you opportunities to improve your skills.

Cons

Moving to a centralized model

Good luck