Professional Educational Services Group

Updated July 7, 2014
Updated July 7, 2014

3.1

Scott Van Lente

Low pay as a substitute teacher contractor, but professional company

Current Employee - Substitutue Teacher  in  Grand Blanc, MI
    Current Employee - Substitutue Teacher in Grand Blanc, MI

Pros

Paid on time with no payroll issues. Staff is professional and very helpful when I have a question.

Cons

Pay is low. No training offered. No benefits with the exception of 401k if you wish to contribute.

Great company for recent education graduate

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Woodhaven, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Woodhaven, MI

Pros

You schedule yourself. You can work 2 days a week, five days a week, twice a month. You decide how much or how little you work. There are always substitute teaching positions available.

Cons

Substitute Teaching for a contracting company may put you in many different districts, which makes it so that you do not get to know one district or school specifically well (allowing for possible long term positions or teaching positions)

Flexible and useful contract work.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Detroit, MI

Pros

It offers you experience and money you may need to help you get to your next so-called permanent positon.

Cons

Inconsistent positions sometimes. Might be difficult to get references if you are not focused on that at your positions.

Better communication with workers might be nice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company if you want to be a substitute teacher!

Pros

They give you all the training materials you need (aside from your teaching credentials, of course) in order to succeed in the classroom. Their system is automated so you have lots of control over your own schedule. They even offer a 401(k). Pay rates are set by the districts so PESG doesn't have control over how much you get paid, only the process of distribution.

Cons

There aren't any real challenges with this company. I've found that the only issues are with the people at the schools trying to use the automated system.

Good organization for substitute teachers!

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

Allows subs to quickly find, organize and participate in a variety of substitute teaching positions. Offers services to a wide variety of schools in single area, instead of having to sign in and find positions by single district. The online component works well for searching for available positions and easily connecting individuals to openings.

Cons

Not very personalized - never see or hear from anyone at the office. It's strictly an impersonal, online service. The parent company has an insurance/financial investment branch and often tries to encourage PESG employees to invest/become insured with them. - kind of annoying if you don't need those services. PESG also holds introductory meetings for all new hires, where they spend a good part of their time talking about how they hire a lot of subs, that their subs are great, etc. and yet, when I go to the actual schools, the pictures don't match up - some of the subs are just atrocious, given the behaviors I have heard about from other teachers.

It's all about PESG.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

If you have good skills as a former/retired teacher you can keep your skills up and running==most time it's fun and enjoyable to maintain kid contact. I love the process of serving kids and assisting them in their learning/school day.

Cons

Well, here are the negatives. If you are a real live ex teacher or on hiatus you will earn the same hourly as
    someone with no teaching degree or background. It simply isn't valued. Sometime staff in schools will barely tolerate you. Luckily that is an exception. Today I was not told of my cancellation of job and was expected to fill boxes for the summer to avoid paying me for showing up..Such is PESG==Don't look for the love! LOL.

I really don't have much advice other to say that if you really care about the kids step up and pay a decent hourly to retain good TEACHERS. It isn't cool.

For those who like to sub

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Plenty of job offers, ease of finding openings, up to ten districts to work for, constant work, easy to schedule a day or days off, can schedule work months ahead of time or same say, 401K and benefits available

Cons

Only way to contact after working there is through email, takes a lot of time to have emails returned and problems solved

Former Executive

Pros

PESG was created by another individual and myself with the oversight and backing of the owner. Great niche market that served the public school well.

Cons

Ownership suffers from the Founders Syndrome severely crippling the growth and efficiency of the company and its employees .

Retire

Substitute teaching, Flexible, low paying job with little to no opportunities.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

Pros

Flexible work hours. Being able to teach! You pick the schools that you teach at. The great teachers I have met and worked with over the years!

Cons

If you are a substitute teacher in Kent County this is the only way you can work. All substitute teachers are forced to work through this job placement agency, which drops pay a considerable amount because they take a finders fee. There is little to no positive work performance feedback from this company to faithful and dependable employees. I have not been contacted by, or talked directly to support staff since signing up years ago. No opportunities offered for "in house" promotions. Virtually no benefits are offered to their teachers. They expect top notch professional educators yet they pay just a little over minimum wage. You are not guaranteed regular work.

Please see the aforementioned cons. We are not delivering pizzas, this is a professional job that requires certification by a governing board, therefore wages should reflect that.

Poorly run company

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

Pros

Work when you are able

Cons

When working a long term position, make certain you know EXACTLY how many hours you worked...2months after my job ended, I received a check for $500 and a letter stating they forgot to pay me.

No training for substitutes

Two different occasions(2 years apart) PESG contacted me and told me that I did not provide them with College transcripts (required to even sub).

They called me at the end of 2013 and said I was not qualified to sub after doing so for 3 years, the 1 month later they said they were wrong.

Received an email today stating that PESG is no longer allowing their subs to pick the days they want to sub...the days will be chosen for us if a position is in need of filling. The whole reason I chose to sub was to be able to teach when I was able, based on my husbands crazy work schedule.

Worked for Professional Educational Services Group? Contribute to the Community!