Professional Educational Services Group

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.1

Scott Van Lente

You can manage your schedule

I worked at Professional Educational Services Group

Pros

It is a good place to work as a sub, as you can manage your schedule and an easy to use website and they have a good customer service

Cons

Each day you will be in a different school with different people!

A model company for contract employers.

Former Employee - PESG Substitute in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - PESG Substitute in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Professional Educational Services Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule that you control, access to nearly all school districts in several states, and they give you choices in where you work. Helpful people to contact if you have questions will respond no later than one day after the contact.

Cons

Sometimes you feel like you are on your own because you don't have a specific contact person or supervisor within the company who knows who you are.

Amateur Education Services Group

Current Employee - PESG Substitute in Caledonia, MI
    Current Employee - PESG Substitute in Caledonia, MI

I have been working at Professional Educational Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Usually can get jobs. Jobulator app

Cons

Constantly arrive to find job is not there or different than what I scheduled. No HR for employees. On phone through automated service 45 minutes to talk to someone. Throw employees under bus. Crap pay, but constantly add on more and more requirements. Scheduling hours can be an hour before school starts and a half day can be whatever the schools make it. Out of control! No full time benefits! Keep in mind I have subbed in 10 or their districts.

Start giving a crap about the people you employ or don't expect more employes.

They use people as a means to an end.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher

I worked at Professional Educational Services Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It was nice to pick and choose what assignments you could take.

Cons

Pay was too sporadic to make any sort of living so I quit.

Really Lacks Professionalism!

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Genesee, MI
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Genesee, MI

Pros

The application that is associated with PESG (AESOP) is easy to work with.

Cons

Have gone many days without work. Have to add many districts to try continuous work. But does not guarantee work. Hard to deal with staff at times since there is a lot of turn over. Hard to build relationship with any school. I use to leave my information behind. This sometimes would help me. Pay has been reduced when contract PESG took over compared to working directly with schools. Low pay and no respect. There had been twice in my employment I was not payed. Although I signed the paper in the office and was informed the school had no record of me working. Do yourself a favor and have someone sign for you for protection. That's if you want to get paid.

All substitute teachers are forced to work through this job placement agency, which drops pay a considerable amount because they take a finders fee. There is little to no positive work performance feedback from this company to faithful and dependable employees. I have not been contacted by, or talked directly to support staff since signing up years ago. No opportunities offered for "in house" promotions. Virtually no benefits are offered to their teachers. They expect top notch professional educators yet they pay just a little over minimum wage. You are not guaranteed regular work.

Remember PESG does not work for you and will never go to bat to help you. They will always side with the district.

Need to build respect and change the way substitute teachers are accounted for. Not getting paid is not good. Show no respect for the company.

Low pay as a substitute teacher contractor, but professional company

Current Employee - Substitutue Teacher in Grand Blanc, MI
    Current Employee - Substitutue Teacher in Grand Blanc, MI

I have been working at Professional Educational Services Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid on time with no payroll issues. Staff is professional and very helpful when I have a question.

Cons

Pay is low. No training offered. No benefits with the exception of 401k if you wish to contribute.

Great company for recent education graduate

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Woodhaven, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Woodhaven, MI

I have been working at Professional Educational Services Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You schedule yourself. You can work 2 days a week, five days a week, twice a month. You decide how much or how little you work. There are always substitute teaching positions available.

Cons

Substitute Teaching for a contracting company may put you in many different districts, which makes it so that you do not get to know one district or school specifically well (allowing for possible long term positions or teaching positions)

Flexible and useful contract work.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Professional Educational Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It offers you experience and money you may need to help you get to your next so-called permanent positon.

Cons

Inconsistent positions sometimes. Might be difficult to get references if you are not focused on that at your positions.

Better communication with workers might be nice.

Great company if you want to be a substitute teacher!

I have been working at Professional Educational Services Group

Pros

They give you all the training materials you need (aside from your teaching credentials, of course) in order to succeed in the classroom. Their system is automated so you have lots of control over your own schedule. They even offer a 401(k). Pay rates are set by the districts so PESG doesn't have control over how much you get paid, only the process of distribution.

Cons

There aren't any real challenges with this company. I've found that the only issues are with the people at the schools trying to use the automated system.

Good organization for substitute teachers!

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Professional Educational Services Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Allows subs to quickly find, organize and participate in a variety of substitute teaching positions. Offers services to a wide variety of schools in single area, instead of having to sign in and find positions by single district. The online component works well for searching for available positions and easily connecting individuals to openings.

Cons

Not very personalized - never see or hear from anyone at the office. It's strictly an impersonal, online service. The parent company has an insurance/financial investment branch and often tries to encourage PESG employees to invest/become insured with them. - kind of annoying if you don't need those services. PESG also holds introductory meetings for all new hires, where they spend a good part of their time talking about how they hire a lot of subs, that their subs are great, etc. and yet, when I go to the actual schools, the pictures don't match up - some of the subs are just atrocious, given the behaviors I have heard about from other teachers.