Professionals for NonProfits

3.1
Gayle A. Brandel

1. Current Employee

I have been working at Professionals for NonProfits

Pros

Great structure, nice employees, openness to new ideas, hard working company helping the nonprofit world

Cons

No cons that I can think of! Great place to work.

2. High turnover!

Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Professionals for NonProfits as a contractor

Pros

If you've got skills, they're quick to find you work and keep you working! They've always been there when I needed them.

Cons

Pay is abysmal for the level of work they're asking temps to do. They have a very high degree of turnover amongst their recruiters and seem to hire people with little to no staffing experience who act in a very unprofessional manner. Recruiters are usually quite uninformed about what the requirements of the position they're sending you in for actually are.

Advice to Management

Get better salaries for your temps! Nobody can survive in NYC on what you pay. Reward temps who work hard, get asked back and have a long history with you!

3. Think before you leap.

I worked at Professionals for NonProfits

Pros

A job that could come in handy when the opportunity won't be found through other means... if it comes along.

Cons

Being at the mercy of fickle and short-sighted clientele. The most common experience is anticipating that a temporary assignment could become permanent, after weeks of putting in good work. Then the person who you've acted as an executive assistant to gets secretive, not even telling you that they're interviewing people for permanent placement when you're supposedly in charge of managing their calendar. An utter lack of appreciation and recognition that retaining a temp from the agency may be worth it, all because of money. It makes a company's decision to use an agency senseless in the end, as they're obviously quite capable of conducting their own hiring process in the first place! In the end, you will need more than a reference after a period of well done work. Unfortunately it is too easy to enter a cycle of piecemeal employment at PNP. Overall, I had a sense that the agency merely sends out resumes and hopes for the best, as opposed to advocating for candidates who don't get a fair shake. I could do that on my own. There's also little to no backup from PNP when their clients are unprofessional. One company had the nerve to change every aspect of an assignment before I interviewed with them, leaving me unprepared. Of course my recruiter had no rebuttal even after she swore she'd look into it. Therefore the agency values my time and effort just as little as the clients. When I wanted to transfer out of the temp and temp-to-perm trap, the permanent division told me there was nothing available that fit my experience. How could a recruiter's last job literally be at the Gap while I've languished at the agency no matter how good my efforts are? The recruiters nor the clients seem to understand when they have a skilled candidate in their midst, only taking limited opportunities because the job market has forced them to.

Advice to Management

Be far more efficient in ascertaining a client's intentions, assignment timeline, etc. They already know exactly how long they plan to retain a temp; surely a bit of finesse can reveal the answer. If I get a W2 from you, I'm your employee. I'd like to feel like one instead of being shipped off to a client and never having any further contact.

5. Work hard and reap the rewards

Current Contractor - Director in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Professionals for NonProfits as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a dynamic environment and it is definitely the kind of company where you get back what you put in. If you work hard, you will achieve the returns you are seeking. You can rapidly rise up in this company and it is very open to new ideas that can help grow the business. You will also get to know a lot of the nonprofit clients and a lot of the candidates.

Cons

The pace is demanding and you need to be able to multitask and quickly pivot to react to changes in the industry. If leadership values you, they will put an effort into training you.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff. Take a longer term approach to the business and give appropriate time to let plans bear fruit.

6. Career Development

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Professionals for NonProfits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are kind, appreciative, and will go above and beyond to support each other

Cons

Would have loved a higher salary, but don't we all!

Advice to Management

I think it would have been beneficial for staff to have periodic meetings to discuss where and how they are the most productive. Ideally, this would have allowed for each member to be in a position of constant growth in the role that utilizes his or her best skill set.

7. Great place to learn and grow

I worked at Professionals for NonProfits full-time

Pros

Diverse but small team of people with experience levels from a few months to many decades makes this a great place to learn about the Nonprofit sector while developing your skills in sales & recruiting.

Cons

Fast paced and rapidly changing environment in order to meet the ever changing needs of clients and the overall sector - not for the faint of heart or easily overwhelmed! You must be comfortable taking initiative and being creative.

8. Going Above and Beyond

Current Contractor - Development Associate - Pegasus Therapeutic Riding in Brewster, NY

Pros

The staff learn about you and work diligently to find the right job match, whether temp or direct hire, for you. They negotiate with prospective employers on your behalf to get you the best situation. Even during those rare circumstances when things do not work out, the great team at PNP stand with you.

Cons

I have been working with PNP since 1998 and they have always come through for me.

9. Archaic, dishonest managers, low pay.

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Professionals for NonProfits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open to new ideas as long as they make money.

Cons

High turnover, low pay. They take advantage of newbies in the industry, use them up, pay them a low salary and spit them out.

Advice to Management

Communicate how people are doing, give them a chance to rise to the occasion.

10. Great potential, but lack of execution

I have been working at Professionals for NonProfits full-time

Pros

There is a good concept/mission in place

Cons

CEO is holding the company back- it's surprising the company hasn't folded yet.

11. Massive contacts within the nonprofit sector

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Professionals for NonProfits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is in a state of constant change and yet there is the opportunity to make contributions if you have the stamina to endure all the change. This is not a good environment for anyone who needs routine and stability, it is also not for anyone not ready to roll up their sleeves and do business development. Energy, ambition and a thick skin are the qualities required and only bottom line results are valued. Ultimately, the database is filled with endless possibilities and upper management is open and willing to listen to creative, entrepreneurial ideas... as long as you show production and deliver profits.

Cons

Management lacked focused direction, did not give the space and time to not only create new processes and goals, but to achieve them, and compensation is not competitive nor were Associates considered as invaluable as management.

RSS Feed </> Embed