Progress Energy Carolinas

www.progress-energy.com

Progress Energy Carolinas Reviews

3.7

Lloyd M. Yates

This was a 5 star company before it turned in to a Wallstreet focused corporation. It placed stockholders over employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Progress Energy Carolinas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company with great management, very proficient in its core functions and very customer oriented.

Cons

Progress Energy went thru a transformation from a Southern company to a wallstreet style corporation focused more on shareholders and stock price then the service it was providing and the people responsible for providing those services. It started to eliminate basic things like family day picnics and small motivational rewards. It was a pleasure to go to work at Progress Energy and then it was just a job.

Refocus on the customer and the employees and let the market take care of the shareholders. It is the employees who satisfy customers and the customers who provide the revenue, those are the only things you need to control and need to focus, not on how to increase stock price by lowering customer and employee value.

IT Analyst

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Raleigh, IL
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Raleigh, IL

I have been working at Progress Energy Carolinas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PEC was a great company to work for with opportunities for advancement, continued education building of skill sets. There was a true feeling of team work and importance of your work for the compnay and it's customers.

Cons

Merger with Duke has changed the playing field and it is yet to be seen what the new company will be like. Very uncertain times.

Pretty Good Place

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Progress Energy Carolinas

Pros

Good Pay, Benefits
    Good interaction between employees and managers

Cons

Lot's of red tape and processes

Keep up the good work. Keep your emplyees empowered.

High workload...low recognition

Current Employee - Licensing Engineer in New Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Licensing Engineer in New Hill, NC

I have been working at Progress Energy Carolinas

Pros

There is plenty of job security by working within the electric power industry. Progress is definitely people oriented and there are a variety of segments within the company.

Cons

There is entirely too heavy of a workload at their nuclear facilities and it seems to be difficult to move from nuclear to non-nuclear.

None

Great Company before Merger

I have been working at Progress Energy Carolinas

Pros

Work Life Balance was great with flex schedules

Cons

Merger with Duke Energy caused turmoil and anxiety

Great place to work with wonderful people.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Progress Energy Carolinas

Pros

Good team work with a committment to excellence. Management understands the importance of work life balance. Opportunities for advancement are available for those that want it and willing to work hard for it.

Cons

Individuals are currently unsure of what the impact will be regarding job status or opportunities for progression after the merging with Duke is complete.

Recently management has done a good job of making an attempt to be transparent. With the pending merger there are lots of question and concerns. Continue to share information as it becomes available.

CP&L was a great place to work before it became Progress Energy

Current Employee - IT Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

I have been working at Progress Energy Carolinas

Pros

In my position I was allowed a vast amount of flexibility in the accomplishment of my tasks as long as thery were done on time and within budget.

During the time I was at PE I lost both my parents and was treated with the upmost respect and given a great deal of concern by my coworkers and management. My boss gave me more than ample time off to mourn and take care of my parents business affairs. I also got a great deal of support from my coworkers - when my father died, (locally), my boss, his boss, and more than half my coworkers attended the funeral. The company sent flowers. Things like this mean alot.

When both my children were born, years ago, I was given ample time off to enjoy these events before returning to work. (Progress lets the supervisor determine the amount of time off for these type of events although there are established guidelines.) The company sent my wife flowers in the hospital.

Over the two decades I worked for the company my annual increases ranged from a low of 2.5% to a high of 10.0% (a promotion). My average annual increase over 2 decades was 4.8%. My work did at times require a fair amount of travel in North and South Carolina and the company was very liberal in hotel and meals payment supplying me with a corporate credit card and prompt reimbursement of any cash I had to spend, (parking, tolls, etc.).

Over the years I had 6 supervisors - 4 were great, 1 was so -so and 1 was an a**.

Overall Progress Energy is a good place to work, but like most places it depends on what you do, who you work for, who you work with, and how dedicated you are to the success of the team goals. Unfortunately if you do manage to get a job there it is very questionable how long you will be there.

Cons

Too many reorganizations - all the time. The last 3 years I worked for the company we had to reapply and interview for our jobs. This was extremely stressful as some people lost their jobs every year. (I finally got laid off with another 99 IT workers on the same day.)

One year our CEO had a "dog and pony" show with several show times at the local municipal coleisum to announce that we were going to double the size of our company within 2 years. We'll we did. He bought another utility, paid a premium for it and in doing so also bought the other company's $ 9 billion debt..(In addition to the purchase price). He also gave the outgoing CEO of that company and his wife a platinum parachute. After this occurance the company started cutting people everywhere. They still are after several years - I've been in touch with many PE employees I know.

Before this CEO did this our company, known as Carolina Power and Light Company at the time,was a "cash cow" and fiscally responsible. This one act in my humble opinion caused the downward spirial in the company being an excellent place to work. For many years before this Carolina Power and Light was rated the second best place to work in North Carolian behind IBM.

Butt kissers can go a long way at Progress Energy. It's not what you know but who you know in many cases that determines your upward mobility. (I saw one guy that went all the way from the bottom of the IT spectrum to the top job level by kissing up all in about 7 years. This guy was a technical idiot - I guess they did't want to fire him so they promoted him up so he couldn't damage anything down at the detail level.)

Until they get senior management onboard that is more concerned about customers, stockholders and employees than lining their own pockets with gold nothing is going to change. The board of directors is loaded with "good ole boys/girls" who were nominated by President/CEO's who get board seats/favors in return. Unfortunately this seems to be more of the rule than the exception these days in The United States of America.

Our country is in a sad state of affairs.