Progress Energy Florida

Reset
3.6
Progress Energy Florida Chairman, President & CEO James E. Rogers
James E. Rogers

worked from when it was fl power corp to progress energy corp.

Former Employee - Lineman in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lineman in Orlando, FL

I worked at Progress Energy Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

allot of job selections with in the company. A chance to relocate to other areas of the country.

Cons

mico managed everything, including watching from a distance of safety procdures.

Advice to Management

the first line boss over time gets a power kick of control. It's sad allot of good people ether quit or are let go cause of these power hungry bosses.

2. Not as good as it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Progress Energy Florida full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were good

Cons

Poor Management that did not practice what they preached. They expected non supervisory and first line supervisors to act one way and everyone else above could act another.
    Like most utilities many lacked the backbone to make employees work a full days work.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee surveys, with the current top 2 leaders in Florida expect thingsd to get much worse before they get better.

3. Great company as long as you get a manager who is not solely out for his or herself

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Co-Workers, Excellent benefits, Somewhat secure, work is not generally difficult

Cons

There is a lot of change going on with the merger, and managers are too worried about themselves rather than about developing employees. Budget cuts have stopped pretty much all personal development. Recently there has been a loss of the importance of work-life balance

Advice to Management

Stop trying to CYA, start developing your employees professionally. A simple thank you and good job will go a long way.

5. Been a great ride....

Current Employee - Mechanic Millwright in Crystal River, FL
    Current Employee - Mechanic Millwright in Crystal River, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Money, benefits, great people for the most part...

Cons

We have been bought out twice... First by CP&L and now by Duke Energy... Seems like the family atmosphere we had when I first started is gone... We always seem to come up short in these buy outs...

Advice to Management

Stop the GREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to laugh at all the people that felt bad for Bill Johnson, Yall gave him a 44 million dollar severance package for his 2 hours of the new Duke CEO...

6. Comfortable, yet stressful and boring after so many calls.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

The people I worked with were among the best. Dedicated to doing the best they could for a customer and the the company. It is a difficult position given some customers situations.
    Benefits are good and pay is good for the type of position.

Cons

Customers are sometimes abusive when they cannot get "what they want".
    Constant expectations of shorter call times when the calls are generally complex
    Selling different Progress Energy services to meet quotas.
    Getting out of Call Services to another department is almost impossible.

Advice to Management

Stop comparing the employees to the 3rd party company you hired to take the "less complex" calls.
    Allow more movement out of the Call Center Environment.
    Treat your call center service people as the professionals they are.

7. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

The professional atmosphere and the flexible work schedules that allow hard work meshed with time with family is a great combination. The opportunities for other jobs within the company continue to grow.

Cons

The stigma from the public for working for a utility company. No one like to pay utilties bills but everyone at the company is working hard to keep costs down.

8. One of the best places I have ever worked

Current Employee - Electrician in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Electrician in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

Outstanding benefits, fair pay, and wonderful work environment. The atmosphere is relaxed most of the time and offers most people the chance to voice their thoughts and ideas.

Cons

Information is not shared in a timely fashion if at all. Some of the working conditions are dangerous and harsh, environmentally speaking, but electricity is inherently dangerous.

Advice to Management

Progress Energy has some of the very best management teams I have witnessed, but some low level managers require further experience on how to work with employees. Especially from an equity, fairness, and ethics standpoint.

9. nice people, no growth opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

lots of holidays, shift bids every month, everyone speaks to you, benefits

Cons

continuous stress for stats, virtually no time off of phones, feel pressured to get to the next call and have a hard time assisting customers

Advice to Management

focus less on calls per hour and more on customer service. already a monopoly, no need to make customers feel rushed and unvalued because they have no other choices.

10. Progress Energy

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

Salary. Alternate Work Week Schedule.

Cons

Do more with less. Leadership training is sub standard.

Advice to Management

Need better mechanisms for employee feedback.

Power Company Distribution Engineer

Current Employee - Distribution Project Planner in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Distribution Project Planner in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

In my job, the split is about 50 / 50 inside vs outside work so if you get stir crazy, you can always "go to the field". Again, in my job, I deal with the public, which can be good or bad, but I find it enjoyable. Hate to say it, but we're a monopoly, so pretty much, what I say goes when dealing with the customer as long as I follow the PSC approved policies...but this fact must be used sparingly and with care...but as a monopoloy, we don't have to compete for customers.

Cons

It seems, after being an employee for a number of years, that as new management teams come in, they restructure the organization into configurations that have already been used. There is also some serious back-stabbing going on forcing competent, honest people either out of jobs or out of organizations or keeping people in certain positions when they wish to advance. Progress Energy provides very little or no formal training for its engineering staff resulting in poor customer service (and thus poor image of the Company) and even worse designs. Finally, the monopoly thing goes both ways: you can't tell someone to "get out of my store" when they're a real pain...you have to deal with them.

Advice to Management

Evolve the organization rather than restructuring to what we were doing 10 years ago.

RSS Feed </> Embed