Progress Energy

James E. Rogers

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome

Implementation Coordinator (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsLoved everyone there and had a very successful conclusion to the project. Wish I could have been permanent instead of contract. it was a good fit.

ConsContract didn't last long enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Motivate through intimidation

Contractor (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsNice views out the windows. Good location in downtown St. Pete. Met some positive, likeminded and talented people. Security guard was an angel. Seemed like morale was good on any floor except the 14th. It would make some top notch reality TV.

ConsVery disorganized. Bullies are rewarded with promotions. No conscious when it comes to hiring or managing contractors. They are more than willing to let a person relocate (actually highly encouraged) with their entire family and then fire them on a whim. Contractors are treated like rag dolls. Every manager finds a favorite contractor to leverage for political purposes as well as having a personal scape goat. The managment style is humiliating. The "solutions" that are chosen have more to do with executive relationships and less to do with making practical, logical decisions to better the business. Work/Life balance did not exist. If you weren't running the clock (even hourly contractors) you were viewed in a negative light. This was ridiculous because there wasn't work to be done. Management was too busy promoting stagnation rather than productivity. I have never witnessed such a negative and unhealthy abundance of ego at a job in my entire career. Teamwork was discouraged. I was told more than once not to interact with other workstreams. If you had any talent to contribute, you were better off keeping it to yourself or risk losing your job because a full-time employee suddenly became threatened by what you could contribute. A very, very dissapointing experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some serious issues that need to be addressed especially within NGDR. Managers need to understand how to manage contractors and what their purpose is to the business. There seems to be alot of ignorance on how to best leverage contractors. Good talent isn't looking to ride the company out until retirement, they are looking to perform a function and move onto the next project. Most people choose contracting for a reason and one of those reasons is to be removed from corporate politics. Contractors are neutral and should be allowed to remain that way.

Good company

Engineer (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsFriendly work environment and good paying, specialy, the location is Florida, very good place for living and low cost. The housing market is cheap.

ConsIt's too hot for ourdoor working or work at substation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Progress Energy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsMost coworkers are understanding and are willing to teach/mentor a new employee.
    Safety Culture is excellent.
    There are some great managers within the company that an employee can learn from.

ConsLack of formalized training for many of the positions.
    Large responsibilities are often handed to an employee without adequate training.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a better training program for all employee levels within the company.
    Create a better way for employees to provide candid feedback.

Worked for Progress Energy? Contribute to the Community!