Progress Rail Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Billy Ainsworth

Awesome Company

ProsGreat product, solid management, good reputation in the industry

ConsWorkload can be a bit high

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the things that made us great

Progress Rail services Corporation

ProsThe people here are nice in all depts

ConsPolitics are one of the biggies here

Low Pay for Disposable Employees

Engineer III (Current Employee) Hudson, WI

ProsAwesome 401K matching!
    Nice co-workers.
    Some interesting projects.

ConsLow salaries. Only one week of PTO your first year. The employee turn over rate is ridiculous. Group leaders/managers are over burdened because the company is constantly losing dissatisfied employees and replacing them with new grads with no experience; this forces employees to constantly spend time training. There is also a lot of favoritism and promotions are not based on merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to keep experienced people around. Constantly training new people uses up valuable resources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The management had no clue how to run a facility this size

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers in a very demanding environment even with the high turn over of employees.

ConsManagement treated employees as if they were disposable due to the fact that there are not many large companies in the area.

Progress Jail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking on locomotives is interesting and valuable. There is a lot that you learn you can take with you when you leave but that's where the positive stops.

ConsWorst Employer in the state of Indiana ever. Seriously, literally and figuratively speaking. Trying to summarize all the negative aspects in a short blurb is hard to do with a company like this.

Let's begin with the lies.... Management will specifically tell employees to not do their jobs in order to get a product out the door, then they will lie about it and try and cover it up.

Training + Tools = non existent. Having to beg for tools or training, then still not getting them. Have to bring in your own tools from home just to get the job done. Even though you aren't supposed to bring in tools. Finding the correct tool for the job can take you hours and going in circles while walking 8 miles or so. So if you like to exercise... This is the job for you.

HR.... Don't think you can get out of this. The most double standard group of people (I wouldn't call them workers, because that term implies they do work). They take forever to get you the most basic of requests correct, lose people's time sheets (very often), talk about employees to others.

They aren't afraid to fire a temporary or even a salary employee not to mention the wrong one without write ups when someone else actually broke setting.

You will work every weekend of your natural born life here. (Not a 40 hour a week job)

They will lie to you, they will misclassify you as a salary employee to avoid paying you overtime. (Straight time after 45 or 50 doesn't count as OT). Do the research. Just don't bring it up to them because you have a 99% chance of them firing you then. Oh and don't get injured. Like ever. Can get fired for that too.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the management. All of them. Place has a lot of potential. Just treat your employees right and listen to them. Everyone wants to do the right thing and succeed. You are what is holding this place back from real success.

I liked what I did

Test Engineer (Former Employee) Muncie, IN

ProsI liked troubleshooting and fixing issues we found.

ConsSpeaking up on issues that you have is the worst thing you can do as a contract employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the way you would like to be treated

Great start with no progress

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Muncie, IN

ProsGood product, and a lot of great people. Strong product following and customer base.

ConsNo local control over day to day production, so no realistic goals are set for the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your people and get out of their way. Judge the end result and stop micro-managing.

Poor management, with no credibility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompany offers good benefits package

ConsManager, EHS, and Assistant Manager team have poor leadership skills, aggressive, and disrespectful to employees, they manage by intimidation. Company lack of a true Human Resources representation

Advice to Senior ManagementChanges should start from the top,

Good company but watch your back at all times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, work-life balance, mostly good people to work with

Consmanagement incompetence, major morality issues

Overall, It has been good.

Billing Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsRelaxed social environment among employees
    Very safe work place
    Railroad benefits and retirement

ConsLow pay compared to other positions of the same value
    Low Advancement opportunities

Worked for Progress Rail Services? Contribute to the Community!