Progressive Business Publications
www.pbp.com Malvern, PA 500 to 999 Employees

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros:
  • "Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Casual work environment, mentoring program with children of an inner-city school, flexible hours"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management should be given an office"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I've always been treated fairly and I feel it's a great place to work.

ProsExpectations are clear -- performance is rewarded. If you are struggling, there is plenty of help available -- you just need to ask. There's a good balance between hard work and socializing. Senior management encourages learning and development both inside and outside the office, and the benefits package is generous, even if the starting salaries are somewhat low for certain positions.

ConsTechnology has not always kept pace with growth.

Great Place To Work! Career Growth Welcome!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsGreat work environment, awesome employees to work with, great career development options, benefits are very good for all employees involved, upper management loves to listen to all new ideas, thoughts & concerns. Overall a very good place to work!

ConsNeed more cross-department support for all projects in motion. Salary does not always match current job responsibilities. When people leave sometimes you are just expected to take on more work without much notice. But that being said is a great time to prove yourself and take on new challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue 401k & profit sharing, possibly do more team building exercises and activities.

Challenging, flexible, empowering, and actually fun

ProsOpportunity to make a difference. Yes, you will be challenged to be good at what you do...need to be accountable, show a sense of urgency, and have a plan...specifically think with the end in mind when tackling a problem or a project. But that's what makes it empowering. There is clearly a Progressive model that has worked and that you need to learn and understand, but the opportunities to help tweak that model to make things better are there for those that can show reasons to make the changes.

Definitely a flexible work environment...I don't feel like everyone is watching my every move or worried if I came in by 8 and left after 5. What matters is the work you are doing and the impact you are having. I have the tools to work all weekend if I want, or catch up on stuff late at night, and when necessary leave a bit early to catch my kids sporting events.

The company is also committed to developing their employees. From the program designed for new employees to get acquainted with the company, other new employees, and long-standing employees, to the management training & development program recently implemented, to the Strength Finder activity they conducted, it's clear that the company is looking to advance their employees as best they can.

It doesn't hurt that we can have fun too. Numerous pizza parties, team events, tickets to sporting events, and dinner and great seats at the Walnut Street Theater all have been made available. Plus, something that doesn't get much publicity are the projects and nonprofits that Progressive supports through its charitable foundation.

ConsVacation time, promotions, not much natural light. Upper management should be given an office...without worrying about hurting the feelings of employees who have been around a long time. Structure could be better defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are hired at a high level, you should be treated as such. Having a hierarchy is ok if the right people are Managers. Then employees will have clearer direction and things will run smoother. Cubicle walls should come down, but if doing old school cubicles than director level employees should not be sitting in a smaller cubicle than a summer intern.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Executive Ed (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThe owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

ConsOn site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

An excellent place to work.

IT Department (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsPBP has a great atmosphere and great people. The work-life balance is great and I still have plenty of time for my family.

ConsThere are no con's I can think of off the top of my head, I truly enjoy the people and the atmosphere.

Results Oriented Empowerment with Competitive Spirit

CRM Director (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThe company truly believes in the people it hires for the long-term. Lots of latitude with support to get the job done. Results and contribution are valued over pedigree and title. Candor and innovation are expected and rewarded eliminating any barriers to success and growth.

ConsSilo-ed organization and informal structure can create some lags in efficiency and best practice adoption. ON a personal level, the cons don't get in the way ...

Enjoy my job with stable company

Malvern, PA

ProsGreat job stability, and they always plan for the long-term...hierarchy is very minimal, all voices are heard and they encourage new thoughts and creative ideas from all employees. Great opportunities to interact and share ideas with other departments; Benefits are top-notch

ConsPay could be a bit higher for some of the positions; and the need to update computer databases and network speed

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Malvern, PA

ProsManagement empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

ConsIT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease employee vacation days

Good, Solid Company

ProsThe people are great at PBP--a true team environment where everyone is willing to help you succeed. They are an intelligent, motivated group of people focused on serving customers and moving the company forward. PBP values it's employees and creates opportunities for them to grow.

ConsThey could move to a PTO system and be a little more transparent across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more transparent about the position of the company...it's just good to know.

Great place to work

Manager (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsPBP focuses on playing to the strengths of their employees - recognizing that you're going to be better if you like what you're doing. It is a collegial atmosphere where people work hard but have fun. It's a particularly good company for new college graduates (or interns) as you are given real, meaningful work to do right away.

ConsWhile PBP is a meritocracy and rewards employees who do well with more challenging work (which is good) there is not a lot of turnover so it can be difficult to move up.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.