Progressive Business Publications
www.pbp.com Malvern, PA 500 to 999 Employees

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Ed Satell

Started in 1999 and never looked back!

Sales (Current Employee)
Woodbury, NJ

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you do your job well and perform at a high level keeping the customer at the front of all your decisions you will do fine. Company focus is on helping executives do their job better not selling widgets. Every 2 weeks you have an opportunity to speak with a different type of executive while learning about a differnt part of the business world.

ConsBlue chairs need to be upgraded!

Values Driven Company with Opportunity for Impact

Marketer (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've worked in marketing at the company's headquarters for 3 years. Company has a high performance environment but managers give you the resources and support to succeed. I'm always learning something new and have been given opportunities to attend conferences, trainings, and other outside resources. Upper management challenges you to make an impact, but empowers you to see your ideas through.

PBP is very philanthropic and encourages employees to participate in its mentorship program . I found the program to be incredibly rewarding. Gives you a sense of pride to work with a company that positively impacts the community in so many ways.

ConsIt is a results driven environment. Everyone is held accountable for what they deliver on, so it's not for everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter coffee!

PBP’s environment encourages you to succeed at your job

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA

Pros- PBP is a meritocracy - if you do well you’re rewarded with more, challenging work that plays to your strengths. As a result, I’ve been able to grow within the company and work with many different divisions which has allowed me to both learn a lot and contribute to the overall growth of the company.
- The People - I’ve never worked with a group of more talented and interesting people. It makes work more enjoyable if you like the people you work with.
- Giving back - PBP doesn’t just give money to non-profit organizations they support, they also encourage their employees to give time during the work day to make a difference in a child’s life by mentoring elementary school children

ConsThe office itself is "tired" looking. I would love to have more access to windows and natural light. And, more parking spaces, too.

Surprised by teamwork

Manager (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat flexibility with work schedule. Accommodating any and all family need and emergencies. Provide an excellent work environment and a casual atmosphere.

ConsPay is not great but the benefits are excellent. Lack of communication on a few issues and the HR department could be better involved with identifying poor performers and working on action plans to improve their performance or moving on.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be proactive with succession planning

Positive about the future

Malvern, PA

ProsI have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

ConsLow salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Assistant Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsI began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

ConsThere were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

Horrorawful

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Altoona, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy, laid back. You can wear shorts.

ConsTedious work. Extremely boring and repetitive. I would rather be unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business.

Company that doesn't follow their own "proclaimed" values. Run away as fast as you can.

Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot many. But if you are willing to be a follower and do what they say you will get by. You need to be someone who doesn't think for themselves.

ConsSearch the web for "progressive business publications" and look at the search results.
You will see a great deal of negative publicity about the company exploiting people at businesses across the country. This is reason enough not to work there.

On top of that, consider the people who work there for a long time and are comfortable with this fact. They obviously are either stuck there or don't find anything wrong with misleading or taking advantage of people. Why would you want to work with them?

In addition to these facts, my experience at the company was very in line with the negative facts that come up in the search results. People there didn't really care about the customers, nor did management really care about employees. The turnover rate of employees was very high and customers were always calling into complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not think advice will help this management team.

It's a job, not a career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time

ProsVery friendly people who want the company to grow and succeed.

ConsFlat organization with no career growth. HR issues common. Suggestions for improvement regularly shot down by management who regularly bend or break the rules. Money is wasted on failing divisions and morale is typically low. Dishonest tactics for most business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your hard workers instead of hiring corporate misfits who make six figure salaries and then leave a year later. Spend some resources developing your loyal employees and promote from within. Break up the boy's club mentality and open up the club for others to succeed.

Great start to a post-college career, not much room to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsTaking a position at Progressive Business Publications after college is a very wise decision - You learn a lot about marketing and the corporate world. Management does encourage you to do well and the bonus structure is good if you're a high performer. It's a great resume builder and you can take advantage of many opportunities. They have corporate boxes in many Philadelphia sports arenas which are a great perk.

ConsThe salary is low (and although there's 'advancement' opportunities, it typically is minimal during review) and the benefits are weak compared to similar companies. The health insurance, PTO (vacation and sick leave) and snow day policy do not reward employees. The entire business model is based around hiring new college graduates, making money and then replacing the crop once they've moved on.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and reward them appropriately with salary and benefits. Also, look for long-term solutions to grow the business.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.