Progressive Business Publications
www.pbp.com Malvern, PA 500 to 999 Employees

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros:
  • "Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Casual work environment, mentoring program with children of an inner-city school, flexible hours"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management should be given an office"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall great experience

Summer Editorial Intern (Former Employee)

ProsI had a wonderful experience as an editorial intern at Progressive Business Publications this past summer. I worked as an assistant editor on several of Progressive Business Publication's newsletters. I was responsible for writing cover stories, short pieces, and calling subscribers to generate content. By the end of the internship I had taken on the responsibilities of a full-time emplyee. All of the other employees were extremely helpful, and I felt like I was really a part of the Progressive Business Publications family. The company is founded on solid ethical principles and truly adheres to them. Progressive Business Publications is also involved in various philanthropic initiatives in the community. The mentorship program in particular has had remarkable success in improving the lives of children in the area and improving test scores as well.

ConsSometimes it got very tedious to have to go through the list of subscribers making phone calls, but I understand it is part of the job, I also wasn't making as much as some of my friends in other internship positions, but I did make a decent amount.

Started in 1999 and never looked back!

Sales (Current Employee)
    Woodbury, NJ

ProsIf you do your job well and perform at a high level keeping the customer at the front of all your decisions you will do fine. Company focus is on helping executives do their job better not selling widgets. Every 2 weeks you have an opportunity to speak with a different type of executive while learning about a differnt part of the business world.

ConsBlue chairs need to be upgraded!

This company has given me more chances for success than any other organization would dream of

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
    DuBois, PA

ProsFlexible Schedule, You get paid for the effort you put in and the process is very understanding and easy to work with.

ConsBad employees fudging the system to make themselves orders and hurting the companies reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the hard work, the employees that are there every day are well worth your effort. Do not let the individuals that make snap decisions of the company with out having all the facts bother you.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empowering learning experience at Progressive Business Publications

Summer Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsWorking as a summer marketing intern at Progressive Business Publications was a truly empowering experience. Never was I treated as "just" an intern, but instead I was taking on tasks like a full-time employee would from day one. The atmosphere among the employees at Progressive Business Publications was remarkable; everyone was friendly and everyone was constantly happy to help and answer questions. My supervisor made sure that I had all the resources I needed in order to fulfill my tasks. Feedback was always prompt and constructive, and whenever I had an idea for a project, I was given full attention by upper level management. Within the ten weeks that I spend interning at Progressive Business Publications, I learned a tremendous amount of applicable knowledge that has since helped me in the classroom as well as in other jobs and internships I have held since. I certainly enjoyed my time at Progressive Business Publications and I am hoping to have the chance to return to the company.

ConsThere are not many cons to mention, besides some tedious tasks that every entry-level position has and the fact that I was not there long enough to join any of the company sports teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work at empowering your employees and pushing them to do the best they can.

My Job Is Rewarding

Rather Not Say (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsMy job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company.

A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

ConsAs with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

Questionable business ethics driven by greed

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

Proscasual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

ConsThis is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics".
    Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance.
    Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay

Great place for a career

Malvern, PA

ProsProgressive Business Publications is the type of place where you can learn the skills to advance your career. You will be given stretch assignments - and be provided the ownership to the work you are involved with. The people are friendly and the culture is team-oriented and encouraging.

ConsIt is not a good place for people who want to hide - and not take accountability for their actions. People like this will have trouble succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great opportunity for growth and creative thinking

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsPBP has a great culture. People are friendly and great to work with. It has a entrepreneurial spirit and is constantly driving towards the next big project, which keeps things interesting.

ConsSometimes too many projects going on at once can cause a logjam and be particularly difficult on IT.

Internship at Progressive Business Publications

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsI interned here while still in college and learned a ton about how company culture can shape the success of a company. I was surrounded by intelligent and passionate professionals who work as a team and exemplify qualities of good leaders. Couldn't have asked for a better internship and although I never worked at PBP full time - the experience certainly set me up for success down the line.

ConsThe commute was a little far for me.

Exactly as Promised...It's What You Make Of It

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsProgressive Business Publications is a very stable company, with a strong base of business, which allows them to aggressively pursue growth initiatives. As in any entrepreneurial environment, the job is really what you make of it, and is perfect for anybody who knows how to prioritize and go after the top 20% of opportunities. Expectations are high, and potential compensation is strong for those who make an impact.
    Having grown up in the traditional print newsletter business, Progressive Business Publications has made aggressive strides in the digital and e-commerce spaces, creating brand new businesses that leverage its existing content and resources, and makes fast growth possible. If you know how to write a business plan and build a financial model, you can launch a business, and get to profitability much faster than in a traditional setup.
    Business owners are empowered to make decisions, and are clearly on the hook for results. If you like and want true accountability, along with all of the authority to make it happen, this is for you. This is not a place for anybody who wants to coast along.
    During the hiring process, the recruiter and everybody I met with stressed the company's culture and values. I was honestly skeptical as to how far these went within the company, and am happy to say that there is a consistency in this, across all levels and departments. Progressive Business Publications hires smart and talented people, who are also driven and respectful. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of healthy debate and productive conflict, so you should be comfortable with this, and know that it makes for better business.

ConsThe fast pace of growth initiatives makes for some difficult prioritization discussions and resourcing. As with most companies, this impacts IT work, which can create resourcing issues. This is being actively addressed with stronger project management and ownership of initiatives.
    Also, not a con for me, but if you're looking for a job where you just show up and leave at the appointed times, this is not for you. You will work hard, and have high expectations put on you, so be prepared.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the balance of high expectations with the empowerment to make it happen, and I'll stick around.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.