Progressive Business Publications

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Ed Satell

great place for writers

Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI can't think of a more exciting challenge for a writer than to work at Progressive Business Publications. You learn to write for extremely busy business professionals who don't have time and who by nature don't want to read. Business-to-business writing is different from any other kind of writing I've ever been exposed to -- and I think I've seen most of it in a 50-year writing and editing career. It's a tough craft to learn, but then again, it's like they say -- nothing easy in probably worth having.

Progressive Business Professionals serves business professionals with critical information for their jobs from Presidents and CEOs to administrative assistants and every other job function in between -- HR, Payroll, Sales, Safety and Environmental compliance management and others. Each audience has its own unique needs. Our writers are trained how to talk to these business professionals and then serve them by selecting the right information just for them from a variety of sources. We got a lot of satisfaction when we hear people tell us we've really helped them become more effective in their jobs. I never felt I had such a direct relationship with my audience when I used to work in general media like newspapers. It's challenging, but it's exhilarating at the same time!

Constraffic on US202 (construction seems to be everlasting) can be bad for the commute

Advice to Senior Managementthink about work-life balance

Progressive Business Publications is "built to last"

Director (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsProgressive Business Publications is a company in it for the long-term. More than half of the employees have been around longer than 10 years. That says something. The company has made a huge success of print information, in an age when everyone else is struggling even with digital because of their quick-read, expert-to-expert business format. Others have posted, and it's absolutely true, that the culture is unique (by design) and entrepreneurial -- the job is really what you make of it. No one comes in with a list of job description bullets to follow. At Progressive Business Publications, you have to know your talents and how to leverage them.

Once they prove themselves, business owners become empowered to drive their areas, and there's no small amount of pressure to deliver. The culture is very flat, which makes for a vague hierarchy, but again that's by design. This combination of pressure and gray area is probably not for everyone. Decisions are debated and often determined by consensus. It's a model that has worked for the company time and again as they transitioned from print, into audio, and then into virtual training. Progressive Business Publications stresses the role of collaboration during their recruiting process, and they aren't kidding. It often has the energy of a start-up, but with long-time employees who act as mentors and coaches. Very unique place, very unique opportunity.

ConsNot a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges. Would love an updated working space.

Dishonest business tactics...a sinking ship.

Rather Not Say (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people who work there genuinely want the business to succeed. Generally no one works past 5pm. Most people leave on their own once they figure out their career is going nowhere.

ConsLayoffs due to failed management and vision. Organization claims you are your own CEO, so don't expect a promotion. Too many business units, they try anything to make money. Ideas and content taken from free resources and then repackaged to charge customers. Top managers aren't held accountable so major screw ups go unnoticed. Nepotism galore. Bloated salaries at the top. Annual reviews and raises are based on opinion, not actual measurements. Read over the Glassdoor reviews - you can tell the positive ones were written by their own staff to try and change people's opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers instead of the protected boys club at the top. Hold people accountable for failures. Shake up the top level every once in a while. Become an honest company rather than using your own staff to create fake positive stories. Develop a career path for your staff.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place for entry-level, not much more

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsProfitable company, privately held, not dependent on satisfying shareholders.

ConsLow pay, very flat structure.

The reviews that sound too good to be true -- ARE too too good to be true

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement couldn't care less what employees do day-to-day, so feel free to come in for only a few hours a day, "work" from home, and wear your pajamas into the office. No one will notice or care.

ConsRevenue has dropped to a fraction of what it was just a few years ago, and upper management is desperately trying to find ANYTHING that will make a few bucks. Whether it's legal or ethical is not part of their concern.

In my time there, I uncovered cases of plagiarism and was aware of several cases of sexual harassment -- none of which upper management was willing to deal with. Instead, they got rid of the "complainers" rather than address the illegal activities their own employees were engaging in.

They're shutting down products left and right which led to multiple layoffs and/or not
hiring replacements for the MANY people who have left in the past two years.

A job here is probably better than the unemployment office -- but not by much. Staying here too long will destroy your career -- and your soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having the owner's son write the glowing reviews on this and similar sites. They're so obvious, it's laughable.

Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

ProsThe upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

ConsCalling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

Good Experience

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

ConsSome of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

Business to Business telemarketing

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsSome of the people you talked to were great

ConsA lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen applicants better

You Get What You Give

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA

ProsSchedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

ConsEquipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Sad place to work

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsPros? If you still have a job.

ConsThe owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe emperor has no clothes.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.