Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out(in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office(in 4 reviews)

Great place for a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsProgressive Business Publications is the type of place where you can learn the skills to advance your career. You will be given stretch assignments - and be provided the ownership to the work you are involved with. The people are friendly and the culture is team-oriented and encouraging.

ConsIt is not a good place for people who want to hide - and not take accountability for their actions. People like this will have trouble succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

My Job Is Rewarding

Rather Not Say (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsMy job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company.

A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

ConsAs with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

This company has given me more chances for success than any other organization would dream of

Branch Manager (Current Employee) DuBois, PA

ProsFlexible Schedule, You get paid for the effort you put in and the process is very understanding and easy to work with.

ConsBad employees fudging the system to make themselves orders and hurting the companies reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the hard work, the employees that are there every day are well worth your effort. Do not let the individuals that make snap decisions of the company with out having all the facts bother you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empowering learning experience at Progressive Business Publications

Summer Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsWorking as a summer marketing intern at Progressive Business Publications was a truly empowering experience. Never was I treated as "just" an intern, but instead I was taking on tasks like a full-time employee would from day one. The atmosphere among the employees at Progressive Business Publications was remarkable; everyone was friendly and everyone was constantly happy to help and answer questions. My supervisor made sure that I had all the resources I needed in order to fulfill my tasks. Feedback was always prompt and constructive, and whenever I had an idea for a project, I was given full attention by upper level management. Within the ten weeks that I spend interning at Progressive Business Publications, I learned a tremendous amount of applicable knowledge that has since helped me in the classroom as well as in other jobs and internships I have held since. I certainly enjoyed my time at Progressive Business Publications and I am hoping to have the chance to return to the company.

ConsThere are not many cons to mention, besides some tedious tasks that every entry-level position has and the fact that I was not there long enough to join any of the company sports teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work at empowering your employees and pushing them to do the best they can.

Started in 1999 and never looked back!

Sales (Current Employee) Woodbury, NJ

ProsIf you do your job well and perform at a high level keeping the customer at the front of all your decisions you will do fine. Company focus is on helping executives do their job better not selling widgets. Every 2 weeks you have an opportunity to speak with a different type of executive while learning about a differnt part of the business world.

ConsBlue chairs need to be upgraded!

Questionable business ethics driven by greed

Marketing (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

Proscasual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

ConsThis is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics".
    Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance.
    Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay

Values Driven Company with Opportunity for Impact

Marketer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI've worked in marketing at the company's headquarters for 3 years. Company has a high performance environment but managers give you the resources and support to succeed. I'm always learning something new and have been given opportunities to attend conferences, trainings, and other outside resources. Upper management challenges you to make an impact, but empowers you to see your ideas through.

PBP is very philanthropic and encourages employees to participate in its mentorship program . I found the program to be incredibly rewarding. Gives you a sense of pride to work with a company that positively impacts the community in so many ways.

ConsIt is a results driven environment. Everyone is held accountable for what they deliver on, so it's not for everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter coffee!

PBP’s environment encourages you to succeed at your job

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

Pros- PBP is a meritocracy - if you do well you’re rewarded with more, challenging work that plays to your strengths. As a result, I’ve been able to grow within the company and work with many different divisions which has allowed me to both learn a lot and contribute to the overall growth of the company.
    - The People - I’ve never worked with a group of more talented and interesting people. It makes work more enjoyable if you like the people you work with.
    - Giving back - PBP doesn’t just give money to non-profit organizations they support, they also encourage their employees to give time during the work day to make a difference in a child’s life by mentoring elementary school children

ConsThe office itself is "tired" looking. I would love to have more access to windows and natural light. And, more parking spaces, too.

Surprised by teamwork

Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsGreat flexibility with work schedule. Accommodating any and all family need and emergencies. Provide an excellent work environment and a casual atmosphere.

ConsPay is not great but the benefits are excellent. Lack of communication on a few issues and the HR department could be better involved with identifying poor performers and working on action plans to improve their performance or moving on.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be proactive with succession planning

Positive about the future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

ConsLow salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!