Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out(in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office(in 4 reviews)

Positive about the future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

ConsLow salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Horrorawful

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Altoona, PA

ProsEasy, laid back. You can wear shorts.

ConsTedious work. Extremely boring and repetitive. I would rather be unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business.

Company that doesn't follow their own "proclaimed" values. Run away as fast as you can.

Editor (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsNot many. But if you are willing to be a follower and do what they say you will get by. You need to be someone who doesn't think for themselves.

ConsSearch the web for "progressive business publications" and look at the search results.
    You will see a great deal of negative publicity about the company exploiting people at businesses across the country. This is reason enough not to work there.

On top of that, consider the people who work there for a long time and are comfortable with this fact. They obviously are either stuck there or don't find anything wrong with misleading or taking advantage of people. Why would you want to work with them?

In addition to these facts, my experience at the company was very in line with the negative facts that come up in the search results. People there didn't really care about the customers, nor did management really care about employees. The turnover rate of employees was very high and customers were always calling into complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not think advice will help this management team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a job, not a career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsVery friendly people who want the company to grow and succeed.

ConsFlat organization with no career growth. HR issues common. Suggestions for improvement regularly shot down by management who regularly bend or break the rules. Money is wasted on failing divisions and morale is typically low. Dishonest tactics for most business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your hard workers instead of hiring corporate misfits who make six figure salaries and then leave a year later. Spend some resources developing your loyal employees and promote from within. Break up the boy's club mentality and open up the club for others to succeed.

Great start to a post-college career, not much room to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsTaking a position at Progressive Business Publications after college is a very wise decision - You learn a lot about marketing and the corporate world. Management does encourage you to do well and the bonus structure is good if you're a high performer. It's a great resume builder and you can take advantage of many opportunities. They have corporate boxes in many Philadelphia sports arenas which are a great perk.

ConsThe salary is low (and although there's 'advancement' opportunities, it typically is minimal during review) and the benefits are weak compared to similar companies. The health insurance, PTO (vacation and sick leave) and snow day policy do not reward employees. The entire business model is based around hiring new college graduates, making money and then replacing the crop once they've moved on.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and reward them appropriately with salary and benefits. Also, look for long-term solutions to grow the business.

Bad career choice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsAccommodating to individual schedules, casual dress code, unlikely to be fired

ConsNo career growth, flat organization with high paid managers prevent opportunities to move up, no raises, money invested in new ideas and often failed due to poor planning, overpaid managers in failing divisions, underpaid employees in successful divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit paying executives to work for one year at the highest salary and then leave. Reward company loyalty and plan your future. Get ahead of the industry curve instead of dragging your feet. Don't be so stingy with employee salaries so you're not scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.

Unenlightened

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsThey will give unproven talent a chance. They are relatively hands-off so you have the opportunity to develop your skills and projects (opportunity but not necessarily support). There are opportunities to interact with senior management. Promotions are possible (but greater responsibility is not necessarily rewarded.)

ConsPBP is very set in its ways. Original thinking is typically punished until the new employee learns to fit the mold. The company markets very aggressively, leading to complaints such as you can find with an easy Google search. Most employees have given up trying to make sense of management decisions and just follow orders. Many simple tasks become power struggles due to the absence of basic policies and procedures. There is almost no funding for ongoing skills development, especially if it might benefit another employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuper-aggressive marketing models are becoming self-defeating. You should reward your employees for finding ways to bring in revenue while treating customers with respect. Many employees bring you their passion and dedication -- despite low salaries -- they deserve better, both in compensation and in their opportunities to thrive.

a complete waste of time & energy

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

Prosflexible work schedule and the ability to get benefits and vacation after 6 mo probationary period. "state of the art facility"

ConsInept management who really only care about their own careers, not yours. There is absolutely no product training to speak of and their only concern is that you are indoctrinated on the history of their owner and his exploits. benefit package is meager at best and it appears they only want you to invest in their 401k so that upper management can get fat before they fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and learn how to run a business properly in the 21st century. The employees and clients alike are on to you and are not as "green" as you would like to assume.

A waste of time

Account Manager (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsFlexible schedule and that is about it.

ConsInefficient manner of farming/hunting new business, horrible base pay. They hire recent college grads/young people to do their dirt work. Recent college grads want experience, not $$$, which they are keeping for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that technology is changing and can be useful

great people, family friendly enviornment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsThe people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

ConsThe salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!