Progressive Business Publications

Progressive Business Publications Reviews in Malvern, PA

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Ed Satell

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, focused on sales & marketing.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThe best part of PBP is that everyone is always open to new ideas and the management team is constantly looking for growth opportunities.

ConsThe biggest challenge is that sometimes there is not good teamwork between departments. At times there can be a "silo" approach or mentality to each business unit.

Advice to Senior ManagementPBP has a very good benefits program including profit sharing and 401k, so hopefully all that continues.

Great Place To Work! Career Growth Welcome!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsGreat work environment, awesome employees to work with, great career development options, benefits are very good for all employees involved, upper management loves to listen to all new ideas, thoughts & concerns. Overall a very good place to work!

ConsNeed more cross-department support for all projects in motion. Salary does not always match current job responsibilities. When people leave sometimes you are just expected to take on more work without much notice. But that being said is a great time to prove yourself and take on new challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue 401k & profit sharing, possibly do more team building exercises and activities.

Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company.

Conference Producer (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsYou are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

ConsSalary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Internship Experience

Data Analytics Intern (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsAlthough I have only been with Progressive Business Publications for a short time, I can see many positive things about the company. They have a wealth of employees that create a substantial amount of high quality content for their products. They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code. The company is focused on giving back to the community and has a strong sense of corporate social responsibility.

ConsThe Progressive Business Publication brand has been tarnished through an outdated sales process. Even through all of the good things the company does, when you speak to others about who you work for there is typically a negative connotation to the conversation.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to explore other areas of business to enter into by actively engaging your customers.

Casual work environment where you are judged on your performance.

Malvern, PA

ProsFlexible work environment where you are judged on your performance. The company understands that employees have the tools and are willing to work from home (nights, weekends if necessary) to have this flexibility. Upper Management is fair with setting goals and gives you the freedom to achieve those goals without micro managing as long as you have a sound plan in place. Progressive is making huge strides in improving IT and reporting capabilities, which should give the business units better tools to become more efficient and grow revenue.

Another big part of working at PBP is being part of their charitable foundation. The company supports the idea of giving back and is truly committed to the principal.

Lastly, working for the company has many perks, from sporting events to theatre tickets. They do a great job of spreading the perks throughout all levels of the organization.

ConsVacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units. High cube walls do not give the impression that the company focuses on team collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the casual work environment and freedom to have flexibility as long as you are hitting your goals/expectations - this is your biggest asset. Combine the vacation days and sick days, so employees have PTO days that they have the freedom to decide how to use. Tear down the cube walls, if putting managers in cubes was to support team collaboration and communication, then 5 foot cube walls is a major deterrent. Set, quarterly divisional/company goals that are visible to improve employee engagement and then set team building rewards for achieving... happy hour, bowling, football tickets, etc. Its a Win Win!!

The new employment development program as well as the overall increased focus on development will be rewarding for individuals, as well as the company. Truly Appreciated!

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Executive Ed (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThe owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

ConsOn site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

Enjoy my job with stable company

Malvern, PA

ProsGreat job stability, and they always plan for the long-term...hierarchy is very minimal, all voices are heard and they encourage new thoughts and creative ideas from all employees. Great opportunities to interact and share ideas with other departments; Benefits are top-notch

ConsPay could be a bit higher for some of the positions; and the need to update computer databases and network speed

Results Oriented Empowerment with Competitive Spirit

CRM Director (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThe company truly believes in the people it hires for the long-term. Lots of latitude with support to get the job done. Results and contribution are valued over pedigree and title. Candor and innovation are expected and rewarded eliminating any barriers to success and growth.

ConsSilo-ed organization and informal structure can create some lags in efficiency and best practice adoption. ON a personal level, the cons don't get in the way ...

An excellent place to work.

IT Department (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsPBP has a great atmosphere and great people. The work-life balance is great and I still have plenty of time for my family.

ConsThere are no con's I can think of off the top of my head, I truly enjoy the people and the atmosphere.

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Malvern, PA

ProsManagement empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

ConsIT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease employee vacation days

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings in Malvern, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.