Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated April 27, 2015
79 reviews filtered by
4.2
John Benbrook

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 12 reviews)

• Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to have more access to windows and natural light (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

1. manager

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, company gives back to employees and to community. I am starting to hear about other parts of the business more and that's a good thing. I hope that continues.

Cons

getting things done in IT seems to take forever. My other company was able to support the business better with IT resources.

Advice to Management

keep asking employees and clients questions on how to improve.

2. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can feel the positive vibe from employees across the company. That makes coming to work rewarding which leads to me giving more of myself to the company. PBP continues to upgrade its technology, and is becoming even more data-driven with its focus on analytics and e-commerce. Well-diversified and stable, and has an entrepreneurial feel. We serve many thousands of customers in companies of all sizes across America which relates to the stability. It paid out for profit sharing again this year to employees and seems like it has done so every year going back many years. There is a new CEO and so far he seems to be a good addition for shaping the next phases for PBP. Hours of work are very reasonable.

Cons

Not enough days off provided.

Advice to Management

Reduce bottlenecks in I.T.

3. Low Key, Flexible, managers who communicate

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The managers are generally open door types, not the political type. The company is flat, not a lot of titles. You understand that it started with one man and it can still have that feel. Really good 401k and affordable medical plan.

Cons

The facility needs a face lift and a spring cleaning and a few more picnic tables outside. Employee workout room needs updating, vending machines should offer different options, always the same stuff.

Advice to Management

Share more about the direction and how the company is doing. Share what groups are doing well and who we need to help. Department updates. We should have a facility person to paint bathrooms, fix cubes, get boxes off floors.

Let me throw up positivity real quick

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, almost otherworldly. You're given a fair chance at the job. Casual, relaxed, you are encouraged to be yourself.

Cons

It seems like all everyone does is throw up those catch phrases. I couldn't stand it. If you've worked there you know what I'm talking about. It seems so wonderful at first, but then you find yourself repeating those phrases. You are told you're an independent contractor, but you're not. You're being scammed to scam. You have to clock out to use the bathroom. And God forbid you try to occupy yourself while that "rejection machine" (see what I did I used a phrase) rings endlessly. Nobody picked up the phone? That's you're fault for not sending positive vibes into the computer. Your energy is keeping the contacts away, which is another thing, half of them tell you they're on the do not call list. Eventually you come In every day saying "I'm getting fired today". Don't get close to anyone, they'll disappear. And then when you finally get fired, she rips through the office making a big scene and angrily grabs your stuff from your desk and gets it for you, while you stand and watch everyone looking at you while she parades your stuff out. Because you're not allowed back in the office. It's so embarrassing. It feels like communism. And that's a weird way to put it because it's competitive, but you got queen bee, her minions and then the worker drones. And drone on and on and on. Have fun!

Advice to Management

Meh. You believe in it. Keep on keepin on.

Apr 23, 2015Business Team Manager

We believe that giving everyone a fair chance and encouraging them to be themselves contributes to our success and we appreciate that you recognized that. As a sales representative, you took on a ... More

6. Don't let them fire you into quitting!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lax dress code, easy scheduling

Cons

stringent adherence to promised work hour totals, even when holidays close the office

Advice to Management

give employees a break on their contractual hours total whenever a holiday closes the office

Apr 22, 2015Business Team Manager

We do have several hour commitment levels that can fit just about any employees' schedule and we try to make scheduling as easy as possible as you mentioned. We agree with your suggestion of giving ... More

7. I Love PBP!

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful sales team, good benefits and pay! Flexible schedule and weekends off!

Cons

I honestly can not say that there are any cons for me.. Sure it might have been nice to have more windows and natural light but other than that I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Today was my last day at PBP after being there for almost 2 years. I was so sad to go. Jen Maziarz has been so good to my family over the years and I love her. She is such a wonderful manager with such a strong passion and true love for what she does. The managers are great and the training is top notch. There is a reason Meadville PBP has one of the highest pay up rates in the company-- it is because of our high standard for quality on each and every call, our knowledge and enthusiasm about our products, and our confidence! This is an awesome place to work and I will miss everyone so much!

Scammers

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They show you how to easily take advantage of people all over the US by lying, stealing and bullying. A real example of fraud gone wild.

Cons

They haven't been convicted as felons yet.

Advice to Management

You are doing an excellent job posting fake 5 star reviews for a joke of a company.

Dec 16, 2014Business Team Manager

We would like to thank you for your 8 years of service. We are disappointed that you left feeling negative about the company as you worked here for so long. Please note that all the reviews, whether ... More

Notice a pattern in the positive reviews?

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule

Cons

Absurdly low pay, poor benefits, myopic leadership, tedious grind of a job for a writer/editor, did I mention ridiculously low salaries for all but the very upper crust? You may have noticed a pattern on the positive glass door reviews ... Most of them don't mention the salary at all. To do so In any sort of positive light would be patently dishonest.

Advice to Management

Please. This CEO wouldn't part with a dollar if it were on fire ... Unless, of course, it is to one of his pet charitable causes that generate ego-stroking PR. His rank and file employees mean less than nothing to him; they are drones to be used and discarded at will.

10. Found a dimond in the ruff in meadville pa

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

What can I say the benifits the outstand posititive attudues in the office no weekends and flexable hours I work a 2nd job at nts in erie and I got appts and jen is so accomadating by the way meadville is number 1 in sales for the company GO MEADVILLE............

Cons

No cons for working here

Advice to Management

I happen to find the ad on craigslist for this company I said to my a call center in meadville I'm from erie pa I drive 40 miles to and from got hear saw how small of a contact center is and loved it rene who interviewed me was wonderful and jen the branch manager has a. Awsome personality and the rest of the managers back you up the office enviroment is good I got a great sales agent who sits next to me and enouages me to keep gooing thanks to her I'm doing outstanding so for all the negative comments I read about meadville I don't see it and there is no drug use or any of that so a big shout out to jen and the rest of the managers out thank you for helping me grow out of training thanks I love pbp

11. Wonderful environment to grow in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Management is absolutely on the ball with keeping employee interests aligned with company goals, and there's never a moment where I would question talking to them about anything from a daily conversation to a work-related issue. I was hired after my internship, and all along I have been treated as an equal. There is a very special quality in the social sphere of the company, and makes a remarkably healthy work environment.

Cons

PBP generally has gotten a bad reputation for its telemarketing. All of that is done off-site, and feels very distant from its corporate culture. However, the content of its publications is top notch, and the direction the company is going only promises an even bigger future.

Advice to Management

There should be more offices. Cubes are great for communicating quickly, but it would be ideal to have a sit-down office for each time we touch base.

Progressive Business Publications Photos