Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
John Benbrook

Pros
  • They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code (in 12 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great people, great pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges (in 4 reviews)

• Upper Management interferes with how mid-management runs their business - then blame them when their idea fails (in 4 reviews)

Yeah no

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

None, guess it's something for a resume

Cons

Shady, feel approach is manipulative

Half these reviews are fake

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Benefits and paid time off... Thats about it.

Cons

High school gossip all over the place. Mice infestation, period blood all over the bathroom floors and dust about half an inch thick above the cubicles. They tried to clean up a bathroom flooding by putting a fan on the carpet to dry it up... about a year later and this patch still smells of mold. The supervisors and managers are literally in meetings from 9-5 so there is no direction. Whenever asked for direction you are almost shut down and told to figure it out... You are paid a terrible salary while preforming your best. They say they are not bureaucratic, but they are nothing but. If you are not directly making the company money you are expendable during budget cuts (does not matter your position). Employee turnover rate is horrific.

Advice to Management

Listen and be more available to your employees. Knock off the buying of email lists and spamming thousands of peoples inboxes.

False reviews get you nowhere

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lax environment and dress code. Annual event to help with 401k questions. Friendly people who genuinely want to work hard and make the company succeed.

Cons

PBP got in trouble in the past for flooding the internet with false positive reviews, trying to cover up their negative feedback. They even went so far as to cover up scandals for illegal behavior within the owner's family. Rather than looking at how to correct a situation and make it better, they scheme as to how to hide and get away with dishonest tactics. The top management are overpaid and cover each other rather than hear solutions from lower tier supervisors. There is no taught leadership, no developing talent, no pride in new ideas - just looking in the industry for what works, hiring an expert to teach them and then getting rid of that talent so they can do it cheaper and without morals.

Advice to Management

Sadly you've tainted enough careers at this point that the feedback from your former employees is coming back to haunt you. Had you done right from the beginning, you likely would have kept that talent and been getting rave reviews. Abandon your current tactics and learn how to be an ethical company that produces something valuable instead of just cheaper, and then reward your workers with career growth, not quarterly cake and ice cream. Sadly I know good people still work for the company but until they rise to power and can make a difference, they will stay locked in to their roles knowing PBP has squandered their talents and limited their futures elsewhere.

May 14, 2015Business Team Manager

During your 10+ years here you heard many times that 'if you change the people , you change the company'. That still holds true today and we appreciate that you have recognized your former co-workers ... More

Let me throw up positivity real quick

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, almost otherworldly. You're given a fair chance at the job. Casual, relaxed, you are encouraged to be yourself.

Cons

It seems like all everyone does is throw up those catch phrases. I couldn't stand it. If you've worked there you know what I'm talking about. It seems so wonderful at first, but then you find yourself repeating those phrases. You are told you're an independent contractor, but you're not. You're being scammed to scam. You have to clock out to use the bathroom. And God forbid you try to occupy yourself while that "rejection machine" (see what I did I used a phrase) rings endlessly. Nobody picked up the phone? That's you're fault for not sending positive vibes into the computer. Your energy is keeping the contacts away, which is another thing, half of them tell you they're on the do not call list. Eventually you come In every day saying "I'm getting fired today". Don't get close to anyone, they'll disappear. And then when you finally get fired, she rips through the office making a big scene and angrily grabs your stuff from your desk and gets it for you, while you stand and watch everyone looking at you while she parades your stuff out. Because you're not allowed back in the office. It's so embarrassing. It feels like communism. And that's a weird way to put it because it's competitive, but you got queen bee, her minions and then the worker drones. And drone on and on and on. Have fun!

Advice to Management

Meh. You believe in it. Keep on keepin on.

Apr 23, 2015Business Team Manager

We believe that giving everyone a fair chance and encouraging them to be themselves contributes to our success and we appreciate that you recognized that. As a sales representative, you took on a ... More

Scammers

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They show you how to easily take advantage of people all over the US by lying, stealing and bullying. A real example of fraud gone wild.

Cons

They haven't been convicted as felons yet.

Advice to Management

You are doing an excellent job posting fake 5 star reviews for a joke of a company.

Dec 16, 2014Business Team Manager

We would like to thank you for your 8 years of service. We are disappointed that you left feeling negative about the company as you worked here for so long. Please note that all the reviews, whether ... More

Notice a pattern in the positive reviews?

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule

Cons

Absurdly low pay, poor benefits, myopic leadership, tedious grind of a job for a writer/editor, did I mention ridiculously low salaries for all but the very upper crust? You may have noticed a pattern on the positive glass door reviews ... Most of them don't mention the salary at all. To do so In any sort of positive light would be patently dishonest.

Advice to Management

Please. This CEO wouldn't part with a dollar if it were on fire ... Unless, of course, it is to one of his pet charitable causes that generate ego-stroking PR. His rank and file employees mean less than nothing to him; they are drones to be used and discarded at will.

Not an ethical organization

Former Employee - Sales in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people, most of whom are stuck and unemployable elsewhere.

Cons

Dishonesty - with customers AND employees. They spam people about webinars, telemarket sub-standard newsletters/send people to collections for duping them into a free trial, and send out reports and other products that are just re-purposed from other content. Place is filthy, pay was awful, and promises were never kept. Was there for just over a year (shame on me) before leaving. All the good reviews on here are part of an internal effort to offset the organic negative reviews. Note some of the consistencies of recent good reviews, their spacing, and overly praising language.

Don't fall for it, dont work here.

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

leadership, commission, freedom and experience

Cons

management
    strict
    unfair
    poor breaks
    terrible sales goals to hit
    management rude, offensive

Advice to Management

Start screening your employees!!!!

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None come to mind, none.

Cons

Being talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

Our management team is focused on building a good company with good people. We rely on our culture and values as a part of our success. With that, we expect all managers to treat sales team members ... More

The reviews that sound too good to be true -- ARE too too good to be true

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management couldn't care less what employees do day-to-day, so feel free to come in for only a few hours a day, "work" from home, and wear your pajamas into the office. No one will notice or care.

Cons

Revenue has dropped to a fraction of what it was just a few years ago, and upper management is desperately trying to find ANYTHING that will make a few bucks. Whether it's legal or ethical is not part of their concern.

In my time there, I uncovered cases of plagiarism and was aware of several cases of sexual harassment -- none of which upper management was willing to deal with. Instead, they got rid of the "complainers" rather than address the illegal activities their own employees were engaging in.

They're shutting down products left and right which led to multiple layoffs and/or not
    hiring replacements for the MANY people who have left in the past two years.

A job here is probably better than the unemployment office -- but not by much. Staying here too long will destroy your career -- and your soul.

Advice to Management

Stop having the owner's son write the glowing reviews on this and similar sites. They're so obvious, it's laughable.

RSS Feed </> Embed