Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
John Benbrook

Pros
  • They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code (in 12 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great people, great pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges (in 4 reviews)

• Upper Management interferes with how mid-management runs their business - then blame them when their idea fails (in 4 reviews)

great people, family friendly enviornment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

The people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Not to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Management

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

My Job Is Rewarding

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company. A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

Cons

As with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Advice to Management

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

You Get What You Give

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

Cons

Equipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company.

Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

Cons

Salary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Advice to Management

Increase the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Management empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

Cons

IT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Advice to Management

Increase employee vacation days

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

Cons

On site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Advice to Management

Post internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

10. Challenging, flexible, empowering, and actually fun

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference. Yes, you will be challenged to be good at what you do...need to be accountable, show a sense of urgency, and have a plan...specifically think with the end in mind when tackling a problem or a project. But that's what makes it empowering. There is clearly a Progressive model that has worked and that you need to learn and understand, but the opportunities to help tweak that model to make things better are there for those that can show reasons to make the changes. Definitely a flexible work environment...I don't feel like everyone is watching my every move or worried if I came in by 8 and left after 5. What matters is the work you are doing and the impact you are having. I have the tools to work all weekend if I want, or catch up on stuff late at night, and when necessary leave a bit early to catch my kids sporting events. The company is also committed to developing their employees. From the program designed for new employees to get acquainted with the company, other new employees, and long-standing employees, to the management training & development program recently implemented, to the Strength Finder activity they conducted, it's clear that the company is looking to advance their employees as best they can. It doesn't hurt that we can have fun too. Numerous pizza parties, team events, tickets to sporting events, and dinner and great seats at the Walnut Street Theater all have been made available. Plus, something that doesn't get much publicity are the projects and nonprofits that Progressive supports through its charitable foundation.

Cons

Vacation time, promotions, not much natural light. Upper management should be given an office...without worrying about hurting the feelings of employees who have been around a long time. Structure could be better defined.

Advice to Management

If you are hired at a high level, you should be treated as such. Having a hierarchy is ok if the right people are Managers. Then employees will have clearer direction and things will run smoother. Cubicle walls should come down, but if doing old school cubicles than director level employees should not be sitting in a smaller cubicle than a summer intern.

Great Place To Work! Career Growth Welcome!

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

Great work environment, awesome employees to work with, great career development options, benefits are very good for all employees involved, upper management loves to listen to all new ideas, thoughts & concerns. Overall a very good place to work!

Cons

Need more cross-department support for all projects in motion. Salary does not always match current job responsibilities. When people leave sometimes you are just expected to take on more work without much notice. But that being said is a great time to prove yourself and take on new challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue 401k & profit sharing, possibly do more team building exercises and activities.

RSS Feed </> Embed