Progressive Business Publications

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
4.4

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 12 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Structure, growth and flexibility.

Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the hours. No evenings or weekends. The fact that I am able to grow with the company. They promote from within. The training program is outstanding. A great atmosphere! A very supportive culture. The company knows how important we are. I enjoy coming to work every day. Not many can say that.

Cons

I have never run into any cons that cause me to re evaluate my position here.

Management has done an outstanding job with everything.

A positive environment.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a very friendly atmosphere. There's always plenty of encouragement from Jen and the rest of the management team.
    Plenty of room for growth!

Cons

i wish that the base salary was higher, though i understand that we get bonuses for good performance.

so nice that the hours are flexible to accommodate life happenings such as appointments, and personal needs to be out early or a day off

Fun experiences to be had. Nice people great enviroment

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. No nights no weekends yeaaaa. Competitive environment. Nice people to work for. Always willing to help.

Cons

Definitely have to sit still and focus. Be goal oriented. Willing to handle rejection

Keep doing what you are doing, encouraging people to grow with the company.

Awesome work culture! This company really supports both personal and professional development.

Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In addition to the flexible work schedule, competitive pay, and opportunities for advancement- PBP's core values facilitate an environment I'm proud to be a part of.

Cons

Because of the flexibility of the work schedule you have to be self managed. For some, this can different and challenging from what they are used to.

Keep up the good work!

Summer Internship Experience

Current Employee - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Although I have only been with Progressive Business Publications for a short time, I can see many positive things about the company. They have a wealth of employees that create a substantial amount of high quality content for their products. They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code. The company is focused on giving back to the community and has a strong sense of corporate social responsibility.

Cons

The Progressive Business Publication brand has been tarnished through an outdated sales process. Even through all of the good things the company does, when you speak to others about who you work for there is typically a negative connotation to the conversation.

Continue to explore other areas of business to enter into by actively engaging your customers.

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

Cons

On site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Post internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

Casual work environment where you are judged on your performance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work environment where you are judged on your performance. The company understands that employees have the tools and are willing to work from home (nights, weekends if necessary) to have this flexibility. Upper Management is fair with setting goals and gives you the freedom to achieve those goals without micro managing as long as you have a sound plan in place. Progressive is making huge strides in improving IT and reporting capabilities, which should give the business units better tools to become more efficient and grow revenue.

Another big part of working at PBP is being part of their charitable foundation. The company supports the idea of giving back and is truly committed to the principal.

Lastly, working for the company has many perks, from sporting events to theatre tickets. They do a great job of spreading the perks throughout all levels of the organization.

Cons

Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units. High cube walls do not give the impression that the company focuses on team collaboration.

Keep up the casual work environment and freedom to have flexibility as long as you are hitting your goals/expectations - this is your biggest asset. Combine the vacation days and sick days, so employees have PTO days that they have the freedom to decide how to use. Tear down the cube walls, if putting managers in cubes was to support team collaboration and communication, then 5 foot cube walls is a major deterrent. Set, quarterly divisional/company goals that are visible to improve employee engagement and then set team building rewards for achieving... happy hour, bowling, football tickets, etc. Its a Win Win!!

The new employment development program as well as the overall increased focus on development will be rewarding for individuals, as well as the company. Truly Appreciated!

Challenging, flexible, empowering, and actually fun

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference. Yes, you will be challenged to be good at what you do...need to be accountable, show a sense of urgency, and have a plan...specifically think with the end in mind when tackling a problem or a project. But that's what makes it empowering. There is clearly a Progressive model that has worked and that you need to learn and understand, but the opportunities to help tweak that model to make things better are there for those that can show reasons to make the changes.

Definitely a flexible work environment...I don't feel like everyone is watching my every move or worried if I came in by 8 and left after 5. What matters is the work you are doing and the impact you are having. I have the tools to work all weekend if I want, or catch up on stuff late at night, and when necessary leave a bit early to catch my kids sporting events.

The company is also committed to developing their employees. From the program designed for new employees to get acquainted with the company, other new employees, and long-standing employees, to the management training & development program recently implemented, to the Strength Finder activity they conducted, it's clear that the company is looking to advance their employees as best they can.

It doesn't hurt that we can have fun too. Numerous pizza parties, team events, tickets to sporting events, and dinner and great seats at the Walnut Street Theater all have been made available. Plus, something that doesn't get much publicity are the projects and nonprofits that Progressive supports through its charitable foundation.

Cons

Vacation time, promotions, not much natural light. Upper management should be given an office...without worrying about hurting the feelings of employees who have been around a long time. Structure could be better defined.

If you are hired at a high level, you should be treated as such. Having a hierarchy is ok if the right people are Managers. Then employees will have clearer direction and things will run smoother. Cubicle walls should come down, but if doing old school cubicles than director level employees should not be sitting in a smaller cubicle than a summer intern.

Results Oriented Empowerment with Competitive Spirit

Current Employee - CRM Director in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - CRM Director in Malvern, PA

Pros

The company truly believes in the people it hires for the long-term. Lots of latitude with support to get the job done. Results and contribution are valued over pedigree and title. Candor and innovation are expected and rewarded eliminating any barriers to success and growth.

Cons

Silo-ed organization and informal structure can create some lags in efficiency and best practice adoption. ON a personal level, the cons don't get in the way ...

An excellent place to work.

Current Employee - IT Department in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Malvern, PA

Pros

PBP has a great atmosphere and great people. The work-life balance is great and I still have plenty of time for my family.

Cons

There are no con's I can think of off the top of my head, I truly enjoy the people and the atmosphere.

Progressive Business Publications Photos