Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Company that doesn't follow their own "proclaimed" values. Run away as fast as you can.

Editor (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsNot many. But if you are willing to be a follower and do what they say you will get by. You need to be someone who doesn't think for themselves.

ConsSearch the web for "progressive business publications" and look at the search results.
    You will see a great deal of negative publicity about the company exploiting people at businesses across the country. This is reason enough not to work there.

On top of that, consider the people who work there for a long time and are comfortable with this fact. They obviously are either stuck there or don't find anything wrong with misleading or taking advantage of people. Why would you want to work with them?

In addition to these facts, my experience at the company was very in line with the negative facts that come up in the search results. People there didn't really care about the customers, nor did management really care about employees. The turnover rate of employees was very high and customers were always calling into complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not think advice will help this management team.

Surprised by teamwork

Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsGreat flexibility with work schedule. Accommodating any and all family need and emergencies. Provide an excellent work environment and a casual atmosphere.

ConsPay is not great but the benefits are excellent. Lack of communication on a few issues and the HR department could be better involved with identifying poor performers and working on action plans to improve their performance or moving on.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be proactive with succession planning

Horrorawful

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Altoona, PA

ProsEasy, laid back. You can wear shorts.

ConsTedious work. Extremely boring and repetitive. I would rather be unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Assistant Editor (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

ConsThere were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

Positive Environment, Dedicated and Professional Colleagues

Pros*Culture that encourages achievement
    *Colleagues are people of accomplishment who encourage and support one another
    *Opportunity to bring great ideas to fruition
    *Strong record of giving back to the community

Cons*It is hurtful and aggravating to read the nasty criticisms and negative comments seen on the web.
    *some of these harangues seem unfair and misleading

Worst Company Ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of good people that work there.

ConsThey give a false sense of empowerment and pretend to embrace your business ideas... when in reality, it's like working in a version of the Hunger Games.
    Upper Management interferes with how mid-management runs their business - then blame them when their idea fails.
    They claim they are a "people" company but I only saw that if the employee was earning them a considerable amount of cash... even then.. they did not really treat employees with respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop uniform company policies and if you give your word

PBP’s environment encourages you to succeed at your job

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

Pros- PBP is a meritocracy - if you do well you’re rewarded with more, challenging work that plays to your strengths. As a result, I’ve been able to grow within the company and work with many different divisions which has allowed me to both learn a lot and contribute to the overall growth of the company.
    - The People - I’ve never worked with a group of more talented and interesting people. It makes work more enjoyable if you like the people you work with.
    - Giving back - PBP doesn’t just give money to non-profit organizations they support, they also encourage their employees to give time during the work day to make a difference in a child’s life by mentoring elementary school children

ConsThe office itself is "tired" looking. I would love to have more access to windows and natural light. And, more parking spaces, too.

Values Driven Company with Opportunity for Impact

Marketer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI've worked in marketing at the company's headquarters for 3 years. Company has a high performance environment but managers give you the resources and support to succeed. I'm always learning something new and have been given opportunities to attend conferences, trainings, and other outside resources. Upper management challenges you to make an impact, but empowers you to see your ideas through.

PBP is very philanthropic and encourages employees to participate in its mentorship program . I found the program to be incredibly rewarding. Gives you a sense of pride to work with a company that positively impacts the community in so many ways.

ConsIt is a results driven environment. Everyone is held accountable for what they deliver on, so it's not for everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter coffee!

Not proud to call them my employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual work environment, mentoring program with children of an inner-city school, flexible hours

ConsWill do anything to make money, even if it is unethical
    Very poor reputation
    Little to no managerial interaction with staff
    Too many random divisions and departments under one roof
    Shady business practices
    Low pay
    Poor facilities
    Terrible technology

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being "sneaky" and trying to make profits however you can - conduct legitimate business. Your unethical practices are taking their toll on your reputation.

Positive about the future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

ConsLow salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!