Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Bad career choice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Accommodating to individual schedules, casual dress code, unlikely to be fired

Cons

No career growth, flat organization with high paid managers prevent opportunities to move up, no raises, money invested in new ideas and often failed due to poor planning, overpaid managers in failing divisions, underpaid employees in successful divisions.

Advice to Management

Quit paying executives to work for one year at the highest salary and then leave. Reward company loyalty and plan your future. Get ahead of the industry curve instead of dragging your feet. Don't be so stingy with employee salaries so you're not scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.

Questionable business ethics driven by greed

Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

casual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

Cons

This is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics". Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance. Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Advice to Management

Change your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay

Decent place for entry-level, not much more

Pros

Profitable company, privately held, not dependent on satisfying shareholders.

Cons

Low pay, very flat structure.

Sad place to work

Pros

Pros? If you still have a job.

Cons

The owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

Advice to Management

The emperor has no clothes.

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We are very proud to have a stable workforce with over half of our employees having over 5 years of service. In the company's 50 year history we have had only a single layoff, totaling 9 people ... More

Don't let them fire you into quitting!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lax dress code, easy scheduling

Cons

stringent adherence to promised work hour totals, even when holidays close the office

Advice to Management

give employees a break on their contractual hours total whenever a holiday closes the office

Apr 22, 2015 – Business Team Manager

We do have several hour commitment levels that can fit just about any employees' schedule and we try to make scheduling as easy as possible as you mentioned. We agree with your suggestion of giving ... More

Great start to a post-college career, not much room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Taking a position at Progressive Business Publications after college is a very wise decision - You learn a lot about marketing and the corporate world. Management does encourage you to do well and the bonus structure is good if you're a high performer. It's a great resume builder and you can take advantage of many opportunities. They have corporate boxes in many Philadelphia sports arenas which are a great perk.

Cons

The salary is low (and although there's 'advancement' opportunities, it typically is minimal during review) and the benefits are weak compared to similar companies. The health insurance, PTO (vacation and sick leave) and snow day policy do not reward employees. The entire business model is based around hiring new college graduates, making money and then replacing the crop once they've moved on.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and reward them appropriately with salary and benefits. Also, look for long-term solutions to grow the business.

Positive about the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

Cons

Low salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

Advice to Management

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

Business to Business telemarketing

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Advice to Management

Screen applicants better

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Management

Take more time to coach your reps.

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed