Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

Great place to build a resume, but you'll never get rich working there.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Flexible hours, easy work. Good performance is rewarded appropriately. Good relationship between staff and management. Those who truly strive to succeed are given the assistance they need. Those who do succeed are rewarded with promotions. The job can pay VERY well, but ONLY if you are very good at phone sales without sending out false, unclear or otherwise bad orders(fluffing your sales with bad orders will get you fired fast).

Cons

Training is brief and broad. Severe turnover. Will hire anybody, but will also fire after giving a short grace period out of training. Poor office conditions (slow to repair plumbing, air conditioning, etc.) Minimum wage with an hourly sales incentive that is difficult for most reps to achieve. The ideal rep is essentially one who does enough sales to be worth keeping but not enough to get paid beyond the $7.15 an hour base rate. The job requires a great deal of mental endurance and fortitude and very few employees last more than a month there.

Extend training to two weeks, allow greater employee autonomy with regards to sales script. The current sales incentive system is demotivating, too few attain it. Do away with it and instead give employees regular raises to their base rate at 6 or 12 month intervals, since employees that last that long are the ones you want to keep and those that don't last don't become discouraged.

Fair opportunity to prove value and provide meaningful contribution

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

There is a sufficient opportunity provided for professional growth, there are impressive philanthropic efforts, and there is an effective use of performance metrics.

Cons

The benefits package is sub-par. There is not a designated individual to handle human resources-related questions and particularly questions related to health benefits coverage. This is a major shortcoming.

Designate an assigned individual to communicate with employees regarding human resources issues and benefits-related issues.

Progressive Business Publications Response

Sep 3, 2014Business Team Manager

We have several people designated to help handle HR and benefits questions. If you are located in a branch, contact your branch manager. If you are located in our Malvern headquarters, you may ask ... More

Neutral

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Take more time to coach your reps.

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Business to Business telemarketing

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Screen applicants better

Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

Positive about the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

Cons

Low salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Great start to a post-college career, not much room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Taking a position at Progressive Business Publications after college is a very wise decision - You learn a lot about marketing and the corporate world. Management does encourage you to do well and the bonus structure is good if you're a high performer. It's a great resume builder and you can take advantage of many opportunities. They have corporate boxes in many Philadelphia sports arenas which are a great perk.

Cons

The salary is low (and although there's 'advancement' opportunities, it typically is minimal during review) and the benefits are weak compared to similar companies. The health insurance, PTO (vacation and sick leave) and snow day policy do not reward employees. The entire business model is based around hiring new college graduates, making money and then replacing the crop once they've moved on.

Invest in your employees and reward them appropriately with salary and benefits. Also, look for long-term solutions to grow the business.

Product Manager

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team environment with support from my manager in all aspects of training and job function. Great people and fun, supportive atmosphere.

Cons

I have no complaints about the company. I left for personal reasons.

rewarding

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Branch Manager in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Branch Manager in Reading, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, great people, great pay

Cons

Frustrated at sales standards, the average person cannot excel, company does not cancel subscriptions accurately

lower standards of sales for employees, rent better ventilated office space

Progressive Business Publications Photos