Progressive Business Publications

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
4.3

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, Solid Company

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

The people are great at PBP--a true team environment where everyone is willing to help you succeed. They are an intelligent, motivated group of people focused on serving customers and moving the company forward. PBP values it's employees and creates opportunities for them to grow.

Cons

They could move to a PTO system and be a little more transparent across departments.

Please be more transparent about the position of the company...it's just good to know.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PBP focuses on playing to the strengths of their employees - recognizing that you're going to be better if you like what you're doing. It is a collegial atmosphere where people work hard but have fun. It's a particularly good company for new college graduates (or interns) as you are given real, meaningful work to do right away.

Cons

While PBP is a meritocracy and rewards employees who do well with more challenging work (which is good) there is not a lot of turnover so it can be difficult to move up.

Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company.

Current Employee - Conference Producer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

Cons

Salary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Increase the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neutral

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

Good company, focused on sales & marketing.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part of PBP is that everyone is always open to new ideas and the management team is constantly looking for growth opportunities.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that sometimes there is not good teamwork between departments. At times there can be a "silo" approach or mentality to each business unit.

PBP has a very good benefits program including profit sharing and 401k, so hopefully all that continues.

Great Experience!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Company offers allot of flexibility in it's scheduling, great for single Moms, students, etc.

Cons

As in any Sales environment, the Company expects results.

More Training for New Hires.

Open and Flexible

Current Employee - Marketer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Marketer in Malvern, PA

Pros

Manager is flexible and open to ideas, gives me time to do what I need with family. Casual atmosphere, clear expectations about project timelines. Good 401k plan and good medical plan, we have 2 kids. I have received profit sharing bonus last 3 years, even in down economy, we did okay.

Cons

We could use more employee centered events, like celebrating monthly birthdays.

Add some sales training

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We are in the process of expanding our training and development programs for employees.

A refreshing and professional company that is interested in your ideas and encourages your best work.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Great work/life balance where you can go home at a reasonable time and not have to work nights or weekends. Warm and friendly work environment. Staff are rewarded and moved up based on merit, not politics. We get to provide helpful info to companies that they truly need to run their companies better; keep up in their field, etc. The commitment to philanthropy is stronger than I've seen in any company and employees can take time off during the workday if they want to volunteer for charity work. Senior management is generally open-minded and approachable.

Cons

Would be nice if the building had more windows for employees to see the outside greenery.

Add more paid vacation days.

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Take more time to coach your reps.

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

None come to mind, none.

Cons

Being talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

Our management team is focused on building a good company with good people. We rely on our culture and values as a part of our success. With that, we expect all managers to treat sales team members ... More

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!