Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Reset

Neutral

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

2. Fair opportunity to prove value and provide meaningful contribution

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

There is a sufficient opportunity provided for professional growth, there are impressive philanthropic efforts, and there is an effective use of performance metrics.

Cons

The benefits package is sub-par. There is not a designated individual to handle human resources-related questions and particularly questions related to health benefits coverage. This is a major shortcoming.

Advice to Management

Designate an assigned individual to communicate with employees regarding human resources issues and benefits-related issues.

Progressive Business Publications Response

Sep 3, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We have several people designated to help handle HR and benefits questions. If you are located in a branch, contact your branch manager. If you are located in our Malvern headquarters, you may ask ... More

great people, family friendly enviornment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

The people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Not to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Management

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

My Job Is Rewarding

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company. A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

Cons

As with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Advice to Management

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

You Get What You Give

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

Cons

Equipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company.

Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

Cons

Salary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Advice to Management

Increase the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Management empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

Cons

IT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Advice to Management

Increase employee vacation days

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

Cons

On site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Advice to Management

Post internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

RSS Feed </> Embed