Progressive Business Publications

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
4.3

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 12 reviews)

• Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would love to have more access to windows and natural light (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, focused on sales & marketing.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of PBP is that everyone is always open to new ideas and the management team is constantly looking for growth opportunities.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that sometimes there is not good teamwork between departments. At times there can be a "silo" approach or mentality to each business unit.

PBP has a very good benefits program including profit sharing and 401k, so hopefully all that continues.

Great Experience!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Company offers allot of flexibility in it's scheduling, great for single Moms, students, etc.

Cons

As in any Sales environment, the Company expects results.

More Training for New Hires.

Open and Flexible

Current Employee - Marketer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Marketer in Malvern, PA

Pros

Manager is flexible and open to ideas, gives me time to do what I need with family. Casual atmosphere, clear expectations about project timelines. Good 401k plan and good medical plan, we have 2 kids. I have received profit sharing bonus last 3 years, even in down economy, we did okay.

Cons

We could use more employee centered events, like celebrating monthly birthdays.

Add some sales training

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We are in the process of expanding our training and development programs for employees.

A refreshing and professional company that is interested in your ideas and encourages your best work.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Great work/life balance where you can go home at a reasonable time and not have to work nights or weekends. Warm and friendly work environment. Staff are rewarded and moved up based on merit, not politics. We get to provide helpful info to companies that they truly need to run their companies better; keep up in their field, etc. The commitment to philanthropy is stronger than I've seen in any company and employees can take time off during the workday if they want to volunteer for charity work. Senior management is generally open-minded and approachable.

Cons

Would be nice if the building had more windows for employees to see the outside greenery.

Add more paid vacation days.

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Take more time to coach your reps.

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None come to mind, none.

Cons

Being talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

Our management team is focused on building a good company with good people. We rely on our culture and values as a part of our success. With that, we expect all managers to treat sales team members ... More

Sad place to work

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Pros? If you still have a job.

Cons

The owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

The emperor has no clothes.

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We are very proud to have a stable workforce with over half of our employees having over 5 years of service. In the company's 50 year history we have had only a single layoff, totaling 9 people ... More

You Get What You Give

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

Cons

Equipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Keep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Business to Business telemarketing

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Screen applicants better

Good Experience

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

Progressive Business Publications Photos