Progressive Business Publications

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
4.3

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

My Job Is Rewarding

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company.

A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

Cons

As with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Former Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work rewarded with opportunity

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

If you put in the work and time to learn about the company you will be rewarded with increased responsibility and opportunity.
    You are always encouraged to try new things and new approaches which is a refreshing change from other organizations I have worked for.
    Very involved in the community and believes in and encourages giving back - something that is missing in many companies today.

Cons

More vacation time would be nice, but I have learned from past experience, sometimes you pay for more vacation time through unpaid/unrecognized overtime.

great people, family friendly enviornment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

The people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Not to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

Fair opportunity to prove value and provide meaningful contribution

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

There is a sufficient opportunity provided for professional growth, there are impressive philanthropic efforts, and there is an effective use of performance metrics.

Cons

The benefits package is sub-par. There is not a designated individual to handle human resources-related questions and particularly questions related to health benefits coverage. This is a major shortcoming.

Designate an assigned individual to communicate with employees regarding human resources issues and benefits-related issues.

Progressive Business Publications Response

Sep 3, 2014Business Team Manager

We have several people designated to help handle HR and benefits questions. If you are located in a branch, contact your branch manager. If you are located in our Malvern headquarters, you may ask ... More

Neutral

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Take more time to coach your reps.

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 8, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Business to Business telemarketing

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Screen applicants better

Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!