Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

My Job Is Rewarding

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company.

A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

Cons

As with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

Hard work rewarded with opportunity

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

If you put in the work and time to learn about the company you will be rewarded with increased responsibility and opportunity.
    You are always encouraged to try new things and new approaches which is a refreshing change from other organizations I have worked for.
    Very involved in the community and believes in and encourages giving back - something that is missing in many companies today.

Cons

More vacation time would be nice, but I have learned from past experience, sometimes you pay for more vacation time through unpaid/unrecognized overtime.

great people, family friendly enviornment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

The people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Not to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

I Love PBP!

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful sales team, good benefits and pay! Flexible schedule and weekends off!

Cons

I honestly can not say that there are any cons for me.. Sure it might have been nice to have more windows and natural light but other than that I can't think of any cons.

Today was my last day at PBP after being there for almost 2 years. I was so sad to go. Jen Maziarz has been so good to my family over the years and I love her. She is such a wonderful manager with such a strong passion and true love for what she does. The managers are great and the training is top notch. There is a reason Meadville PBP has one of the highest pay up rates in the company-- it is because of our high standard for quality on each and every call, our knowledge and enthusiasm about our products, and our confidence! This is an awesome place to work and I will miss everyone so much!

Found a dimond in the ruff in meadville pa

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

What can I say the benifits the outstand posititive attudues in the office no weekends and flexable hours I work a 2nd job at nts in erie and I got appts and jen is so accomadating by the way meadville is number 1 in sales for the company GO MEADVILLE............

Cons

No cons for working here

I happen to find the ad on craigslist for this company I said to my a call center in meadville I'm from erie pa I drive 40 miles to and from got hear saw how small of a contact center is and loved it rene who interviewed me was wonderful and jen the branch manager has a. Awsome personality and the rest of the managers back you up the office enviroment is good I got a great sales agent who sits next to me and enouages me to keep gooing thanks to her I'm doing outstanding so for all the negative comments I read about meadville I don't see it and there is no drug use or any of that so a big shout out to jen and the rest of the managers out thank you for helping me grow out of training thanks I love pbp

Wonderful environment to grow in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Management is absolutely on the ball with keeping employee interests aligned with company goals, and there's never a moment where I would question talking to them about anything from a daily conversation to a work-related issue. I was hired after my internship, and all along I have been treated as an equal. There is a very special quality in the social sphere of the company, and makes a remarkably healthy work environment.

Cons

PBP generally has gotten a bad reputation for its telemarketing. All of that is done off-site, and feels very distant from its corporate culture. However, the content of its publications is top notch, and the direction the company is going only promises an even bigger future.

There should be more offices. Cubes are great for communicating quickly, but it would be ideal to have a sit-down office for each time we touch base.

Fantastic! A company that really knows how to take care of employees that are willing to work hard and give their best!

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Advancement opportunities; ability to increase your own salary through hard work; supportive staff at every level; dedicated to development of people; very positive environment; on-going training and development

Cons

None really, I mean its a tough job but if you work hard and stay positive it pays off!

None. Every manager I work with is supportive, knowledgeable and has a true desire to help others do well, just keep doing that!

A positive environment.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a very friendly atmosphere. There's always plenty of encouragement from Jen and the rest of the management team.
    Plenty of room for growth!

Cons

i wish that the base salary was higher, though i understand that we get bonuses for good performance.

so nice that the hours are flexible to accommodate life happenings such as appointments, and personal needs to be out early or a day off

Structure, growth and flexibility.

Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the hours. No evenings or weekends. The fact that I am able to grow with the company. They promote from within. The training program is outstanding. A great atmosphere! A very supportive culture. The company knows how important we are. I enjoy coming to work every day. Not many can say that.

Cons

I have never run into any cons that cause me to re evaluate my position here.

Management has done an outstanding job with everything.

Progressive Business Publications Photos