Progressive Business Publications

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
4.4

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 12 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Dishonest business tactics...a sinking ship.

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there genuinely want the business to succeed. Generally no one works past 5pm. Most people leave on their own once they figure out their career is going nowhere.

Cons

Layoffs due to failed management and vision. Organization claims you are your own CEO, so don't expect a promotion. Too many business units, they try anything to make money. Ideas and content taken from free resources and then repackaged to charge customers. Top managers aren't held accountable so major screw ups go unnoticed. Nepotism galore. Bloated salaries at the top. Annual reviews and raises are based on opinion, not actual measurements. Read over the Glassdoor reviews - you can tell the positive ones were written by their own staff to try and change people's opinion.

Listen to your workers instead of the protected boys club at the top. Hold people accountable for failures. Shake up the top level every once in a while. Become an honest company rather than using your own staff to create fake positive stories. Develop a career path for your staff.

Progressive Business Publications is "built to last"

Current Employee - Director in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a company in it for the long-term. More than half of the employees have been around longer than 10 years. That says something. The company has made a huge success of print information, in an age when everyone else is struggling even with digital because of their quick-read, expert-to-expert business format. Others have posted, and it's absolutely true, that the culture is unique (by design) and entrepreneurial -- the job is really what you make of it. No one comes in with a list of job description bullets to follow. At Progressive Business Publications, you have to know your talents and how to leverage them.

Once they prove themselves, business owners become empowered to drive their areas, and there's no small amount of pressure to deliver. The culture is very flat, which makes for a vague hierarchy, but again that's by design. This combination of pressure and gray area is probably not for everyone. Decisions are debated and often determined by consensus. It's a model that has worked for the company time and again as they transitioned from print, into audio, and then into virtual training. Progressive Business Publications stresses the role of collaboration during their recruiting process, and they aren't kidding. It often has the energy of a start-up, but with long-time employees who act as mentors and coaches. Very unique place, very unique opportunity.

Cons

Not a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges. Would love an updated working space.

great place for writers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of a more exciting challenge for a writer than to work at Progressive Business Publications. You learn to write for extremely busy business professionals who don't have time and who by nature don't want to read. Business-to-business writing is different from any other kind of writing I've ever been exposed to -- and I think I've seen most of it in a 50-year writing and editing career. It's a tough craft to learn, but then again, it's like they say -- nothing easy in probably worth having.

Progressive Business Professionals serves business professionals with critical information for their jobs from Presidents and CEOs to administrative assistants and every other job function in between -- HR, Payroll, Sales, Safety and Environmental compliance management and others. Each audience has its own unique needs. Our writers are trained how to talk to these business professionals and then serve them by selecting the right information just for them from a variety of sources. We got a lot of satisfaction when we hear people tell us we've really helped them become more effective in their jobs. I never felt I had such a direct relationship with my audience when I used to work in general media like newspapers. It's challenging, but it's exhilarating at the same time!

Cons

traffic on US202 (construction seems to be everlasting) can be bad for the commute

think about work-life balance

Exactly as Promised...It's What You Make Of It

Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a very stable company, with a strong base of business, which allows them to aggressively pursue growth initiatives. As in any entrepreneurial environment, the job is really what you make of it, and is perfect for anybody who knows how to prioritize and go after the top 20% of opportunities. Expectations are high, and potential compensation is strong for those who make an impact.
    Having grown up in the traditional print newsletter business, Progressive Business Publications has made aggressive strides in the digital and e-commerce spaces, creating brand new businesses that leverage its existing content and resources, and makes fast growth possible. If you know how to write a business plan and build a financial model, you can launch a business, and get to profitability much faster than in a traditional setup.
    Business owners are empowered to make decisions, and are clearly on the hook for results. If you like and want true accountability, along with all of the authority to make it happen, this is for you. This is not a place for anybody who wants to coast along.
    During the hiring process, the recruiter and everybody I met with stressed the company's culture and values. I was honestly skeptical as to how far these went within the company, and am happy to say that there is a consistency in this, across all levels and departments. Progressive Business Publications hires smart and talented people, who are also driven and respectful. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of healthy debate and productive conflict, so you should be comfortable with this, and know that it makes for better business.

Cons

The fast pace of growth initiatives makes for some difficult prioritization discussions and resourcing. As with most companies, this impacts IT work, which can create resourcing issues. This is being actively addressed with stronger project management and ownership of initiatives.
    Also, not a con for me, but if you're looking for a job where you just show up and leave at the appointed times, this is not for you. You will work hard, and have high expectations put on you, so be prepared.

Maintain the balance of high expectations with the empowerment to make it happen, and I'll stick around.

Internship at Progressive Business Publications

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned here while still in college and learned a ton about how company culture can shape the success of a company. I was surrounded by intelligent and passionate professionals who work as a team and exemplify qualities of good leaders. Couldn't have asked for a better internship and although I never worked at PBP full time - the experience certainly set me up for success down the line.

Cons

The commute was a little far for me.

Great opportunity for growth and creative thinking

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PBP has a great culture. People are friendly and great to work with. It has a entrepreneurial spirit and is constantly driving towards the next big project, which keeps things interesting.

Cons

Sometimes too many projects going on at once can cause a logjam and be particularly difficult on IT.

Great place for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is the type of place where you can learn the skills to advance your career. You will be given stretch assignments - and be provided the ownership to the work you are involved with. The people are friendly and the culture is team-oriented and encouraging.

Cons

It is not a good place for people who want to hide - and not take accountability for their actions. People like this will have trouble succeeding.

None

Questionable business ethics driven by greed

Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

casual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

Cons

This is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics".
    Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance.
    Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Change your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay

My Job Is Rewarding

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company.

A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

Cons

As with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

Empowering learning experience at Progressive Business Publications

Former Employee - Summer Marketing Intern in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Summer Marketing Intern in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working as a summer marketing intern at Progressive Business Publications was a truly empowering experience. Never was I treated as "just" an intern, but instead I was taking on tasks like a full-time employee would from day one. The atmosphere among the employees at Progressive Business Publications was remarkable; everyone was friendly and everyone was constantly happy to help and answer questions. My supervisor made sure that I had all the resources I needed in order to fulfill my tasks. Feedback was always prompt and constructive, and whenever I had an idea for a project, I was given full attention by upper level management. Within the ten weeks that I spend interning at Progressive Business Publications, I learned a tremendous amount of applicable knowledge that has since helped me in the classroom as well as in other jobs and internships I have held since. I certainly enjoyed my time at Progressive Business Publications and I am hoping to have the chance to return to the company.

Cons

There are not many cons to mention, besides some tedious tasks that every entry-level position has and the fact that I was not there long enough to join any of the company sports teams.

Keep up the good work at empowering your employees and pushing them to do the best they can.

Progressive Business Publications Photos