Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Claims Generalist

Former Employee - Claims Generalist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Generalist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, flexible working hours, and work-from-home options available. Discounts available from various vendors for everything from wireless phone service to car buying assistance programs. Job security is also guaranteed unless employee engages in unsatisfactory behavior warranting termination. Profit sharing/Gainshare bonus in December is a plus.

Cons

Long hours with no overtime pay (except in CA), strenuous work load, must also constantly multi-task as an adjuster must handle claims and handle inbound, claims related phone calls which can be daunting. Must also be willing to deal with irate customers and constantly apologize for things beyond your control, as well as negotiate settlements that are often lower than the market value. If you cannot tolerate a high-stress, customer service drenched position this is not the job for you.

This company claims to pride itself on being an establishment of which people "love to come to work", but that is totally opposite of the work environment in GA at least due to the heavy workload. Corporate is quick to implement new policies, but fail to make the necessary changes in how the work is distributed amongst it's claims reps which will continue to result in the loss of great employees. A customer service center specifically for claims should be created as opposed to requiring adjusters to field those calls while also handling claims. Company should also do away with current total loss handling procedures and pay customers via NADA value to reduce disputes and expedite claims settlement process. And stop writing policies to any and everyone with a dollar in their pocket to reduce the need for lengthy claims investigations that you're only going to pay once if the persons complains to enough managers!

Everything has been overall well, great training, great people in my department just lacks a great deal of advancement.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Training, company values and no same day like the other other

Cons

There can be heavy workload at times, lacks advancement if not in Ohio.

Get a good pulse of employee to manager relationship to make sure everything going smooth.

A good company

Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability, gain share bonus around Christmas, the ultimate resume builder, work perks decent benefits.

Cons

Insane work load. From my research on claims adjuster in other companies, Progressive has its employees doing so much more to manage claims.

Depends on who your supervisor and manager is. Some supervisors are too busy to coach but if they stop to take the time to train newbies right then the less the newbies would have to bother them so much.

Claims Generalist Intermediate

Former Employee - Claims Generalist Intermediate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Generalist Intermediate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and gainshare is a nice bonus to get at the end of the year. Excellent benefits and 401k matching. They have an awesome training program for anyone looking to be in insurance claims.

Cons

People are over worked and constantly frustrated. There is too much empasis on meeting unrealistic expectations. I have never seen anyone be completely caught up and feel okay about leaving for the day. There is no way to advance your career with all the manangement restructures. You can move to different deparments but not advance. Also, the pay needs to be more competitive. Gainshare should be a bonus, not part of your salary.

You have to balance the workload. There is no way you can do all that is required with the amount of claims that you receive everyday. I did it for over ten years, and left on my own free will because I saw no future for me other than claims. After handling injuries, there is nothing else to aspire to. In my last year at Progressive, almost all of the tenured reps have left the company. I think managment needs to really address it before Progressive becomes a rolling door--again.

Great learning experience. Entry Level position.

Former Employee - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and gainshare. Initial training.

Cons

Management needed some work. I had a few great managers, then u got 1 and he was horrible. I lefted due to this manager. This position requires a lot of hours.

More training less micro management for your experienced adjusters.

A great place to work with little to no opportunity for career advancement.

Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule. I love my coworkers. You will spend more than 40 hours a week with them, so its really important that you get along,.

Cons

There is nothing to do outside of the corporate office besides claims. There is almost no room for advancement to management.

Please learn to appreciate your employees for all the work they do. Management really needs to learn to treat all their employees the same. There is a huge problem of who you know will get you anything you want.

Excellent Company with Competitive Salaries and Good Benefits

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive has a very positive and fun work culture. Progressive also has competitive salaries and excellent benefits offered in their offices.

Cons

Management could be more consistent in implementing policies company-wide. ETB could be more generous for newer employees, since it has to be used for both vacation/sick time off.

Upper management should hold lower management more accountable for uneven implantation of procedures and policies company-wide.

Overall, it has been good, it does get to a limit for advancement if you are not in Cleveland

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Coworkers, management and culture

Cons

Work/Load balance at times
    Limit for advancement if not in home office, but that is to be expected I guess

Depends on your future goals

Current Employee - Claims Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for long term
    Great perks like on-site doctors office, gym, cafeteria
    Company always tries to keep employees engaged in advertising campaigns
    Gainsharing is a plus!

Cons

No room for growth unless you work in the corporate office in Ohio.
    Company used to do a lot of training and job advancement, but now are making employees do more roles for the same pay. Not the Progressive it used to be.
    Upper management is always pushing diversity but there is little to NO diversity in upper management.

Average at best

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Field Adjusters have the ability to start and end at home. cost of benefits are not too costly, and the pay is average. They are getting better with diversity.

Cons

Excessively micromanaged as if you have not been doing the job but 1 week even after doing it for years. Management is promoted because of friendship and college attended, instead of competency. The company is flat when it comes to promotional opportunities. I was told it is not going to grow for years to come, unless you want to move to FL or TX, no opportunity

Transparency is key! Its better to tell employees straight up about what is happening with the company instead of shielding and hiding the truth.

Progressive Insurance Photos