Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good

Former Employee - Claims Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Team Leader in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

experience training was always ongoing and educational

Cons

hours were long and salary was competitive

none

They try hard, but limited growth

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They try hard to make it as good as they can for you, but it is a call center, so same thing everyday. Success and happiness depend on who your manager is.

Cons

Direct management isn't the best, reward numbers not actual production, not much opportunity to grow unless you move to OHIO. Definitely play favorites.

Reward actual top performers, not people who do not follow the rules and get fired sooner than later. Make sure managemet is on the same page and everyone is judged the same.

New claims generalist

Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
    6% 401k match
    Gainshare program
    Flexible schedule 10-7 , 12-9, 2-11
    Great recruiters

Cons

No cons so far, this is only my first week

Provide Commercial Auto quotes to potential clients

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Non competitive atmosphere, very laid back the company's main concern is providing good customer service, great benefits and job development opportunitites

Cons

If you are a very active person, you may need to change your routine to a more laid back one because you are sitting down all day

Overall, management is very aproachable and understanding

Same old Call Center Job

Current Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people and a good atmosphere with a fair amount of training to prepare you for the job itself. Also has a lot of art around the building to keep your mind occupied.

Cons

Tied to the phone as with any call center and having to deal with terrible/stupid customers that will make your 8-10 hours miserable.

Stay the course, the training is good and managers are generally welcoming

Customer Service Representative

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive is a great company to work for. I loved the people i worked with. Progressive is a very diverse company. Management is really great about sticking to the core values of the company.

Cons

Holistic attendance policy. Each supervisor can excuse or give occurrence for absence based on their opinion. If you and another employee from another team missed work for the same reason one supervisor may excuse it while the other marks it against you. Each day missed is a separate occurrence. If you are sick for three days there are three occurrences. The work load can be very heavy at times. The turnover rates it high.

Advise potential employees of the work load. Change attendance policy to be fair to everyone.

I got paid well for what I did but felt like a scripted robot with no human empathy.

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* The pay is the biggest plus, they paid more than other area call centers.

* You get 10 hours of earned time benefit a month. Good benefits.

Cons

* Odd hours. Good schedules are supposed to be given based on seniority but I got declined for my schedule change multiple times over the course of two years while people with less seniority were granted theirs.

* Promotions in my department were virtually non-existent so you knew that unless you transferred to another department you were always going to be doing the same entry level customer service job that you were hired at. When promotions did come up on rare occasions everyone became very cut-throat to try and get them. I felt that promotions were given to those with the most seniority rather than to the person who was most well qualified to do the job.

* No decision making authority. Almost every situation has a script and if you deviate from the script your call will be failed when they pull it. There is no decision making authority on your part as a CSR or any room for critical thinking. You just read the script. It's not so bad the first year or so that you do it but there's definitely some burnout that sets in year #2 when customers are yelling at you and they're upset and there's nothing you can do for them so you just read the script. Which leads me to my next point..

* You become jaded. When I first started, I really cared about each customer and wanted to help them. It would really upset me when I couldn't help them and I took it personally if they didn't like my service. One of my first days on the phone an agent called me a stupid b***h and I cried because I took it personally. After a while, you just can't care about every caller. It's too emotionally taxing to care about every caller with a sob story or every angry customer. People will tell you about how they can't pay their insurance because their wife is in the hospital or they're living on social security or they didn't REALLY deserve that speeding ticket on their record-- and you just can't care about it all. There's nothing you can do to control the price of their insurance. No button you can click to make their rate go down. Your job is to get customers on and off the phone. I didn't like the person that I became who had to pretend to empathize with customers just enough to keep my call ratings high when my supervisors pulled them. I grew a thick skin-- too thick.

Being on the phones is hard work. Management seems to forget that because they've been off the phones so long they're out of touch with our reality. I think a big help would be to either give more promotion opportunities to help CSRs advance beyond that entry level position and do something besides be on the phone, or incorporate processing tasks into CSR's days so they take calls for 6 hours and then do processing work for 2 hrs. Just a 2 hr break off the phone to do something different and break up the monotony would have been a big relief. I also think management needs to spend a minimum of two days a month on the phone so they can see when they make policies what it looks like to enforce them with the customer.

Central Claims Unit Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Adjuster in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Adjuster in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No shortage of work to be done...lots of growth potential.

Cons

Pay could be a little better.

Keep working to improve processes.

Glass Claim Adjuster

Former Employee - Glass Claim Adjuster in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Glass Claim Adjuster in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Allow you to change your schedule as long as there is chance, and you do your 40hrs a week. Small call center.

Cons

Health insurance extremely expensive and does not cover much. expect to be on the phone your entire day. they try to convince that you have the "ideal" job, but there are many better options.

Good company overall; very dependant on supervisor's personality

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has good benefits and fair pay. Casual environment and open culture that allows for individuality and personal expression.

Cons

Overall experience is very based on individual supervisor's abilities and attitude. A lack of consistency on supervisors' performance and technical knowledge/ skill-set, makes for an uneven. unbalanced experience for the individual employee.

Better oversite of supervisors' training and development would be helpful in maintaining a more fair and balanced experience for the individual employee. Maintaining an accurate assessment of supervisors' strengths and weaknesses would help ensure the playing field and requirements of each employee would carry across from team to team.

Progressive Insurance Photos