Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated March 14, 2015
37 reviews filtered by
  • Austin, TX
3.5
Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

1. Progressive Insurance is a great place to work. Working there is like working from home

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules and friendly management makes it a great place to work. The job is not as stressing as most phone center.

Cons

Most of the advancement positions are at the Cleveland office. Still there is plenty of opportunities to make good money. So is not that bad

Advice to Management

Progressive needs to expand opportunities for growth to all their sites.

Customer Service Represenative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a call center position but you feel like the company does really care for its employees.
    Awesome benefits
    Great pay
    VERY flexible schedule

Cons

Its a call center, sometimes its either boring or some days can seem very long.

Meh.

Former Employee - CLRU in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CLRU in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were nice, good opportunities for advancement if you're not a complete idiot. But, that's about it.

Cons

I felt like an easily replaceable cog in some giant corporate wheel. I had little to no human interaction, and it kinda felt like a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Try and keep your employees just a touch happier, maybe that will stop your ridiculous turn-over rate.

Claims Customer Service Rep (CCU)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Progressive as a company in whole is great!! They provide great benefits, Yearly bonuses if the company is doing well, a gym on site for 15.00 a month, a doctor on site. I do enjoy what Progressive has to offer their employees. The people who work at progressive are very open and the culture at Progressive is wonderful They have different meetings for diversity of all. This is a nice thing to see that a company focus so much on Diversity in the work place. Especially in Texas. They do like to hire and promote if you are a good worker. There is lots of growth with the company if you are able to move around.

Cons

This department is over worked and under staffed. This department has been around for about 5 years and they have a lot more to go on getting the work balanced out for their employees. The work load and expectations are high and unmanigble. But if you meet those expectations you are one of the view. They give you more work that what is possible for it to be completed in your shift time frame. So most days you work over time about 3 hours a week and this is to just stay caught up with your work they provide you. I have been there for a year in this department and the goal for anyone who gets into that department is to get out of it as quick as possible. You have to be there a year before you can move into a different department. But that year is HELL!!!! I have had 3 different supervisors and have been on 3 different teams. All the supervisors are great, they are also over worked you can see it on them every day you come in. This is not a fault on their part. They are just doing what they have been told in order to keep their job. But a way I have always been able to tell if I will stay at a job is by the employees. Like I said I have been on 3 different teams. And only 1 person liked their job. Out of the other 34 people we are just lucky we have a job we say, but do we like it, NO!!!!
    I have seen several people go home crying because the work is just so much. I have gone out with people for lunch on these three different teams and its always complaining about the work load. I know that they have their issues to work out on how things are done but they have lost a lot of good people. I have seen people just get up and walk out. This is not how it should be for a big company like Progressive. I am hoping that they get this figured out soon.

They try hard, but limited growth

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They try hard to make it as good as they can for you, but it is a call center, so same thing everyday. Success and happiness depend on who your manager is.

Cons

Direct management isn't the best, reward numbers not actual production, not much opportunity to grow unless you move to OHIO. Definitely play favorites.

Advice to Management

Reward actual top performers, not people who do not follow the rules and get fired sooner than later. Make sure managemet is on the same page and everyone is judged the same.

7. New claims generalist

Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    6% 401k match
    Gainshare program
    Flexible schedule 10-7 , 12-9, 2-11
    Great recruiters

Cons

No cons so far, this is only my first week

8. good

Former Employee - Claims Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Team Leader in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

experience training was always ongoing and educational

Cons

hours were long and salary was competitive

Advice to Management

none

9. Provide Commercial Auto quotes to potential clients

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Non competitive atmosphere, very laid back the company's main concern is providing good customer service, great benefits and job development opportunitites

Cons

If you are a very active person, you may need to change your routine to a more laid back one because you are sitting down all day

Advice to Management

Overall, management is very aproachable and understanding

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Progressive is a great company to work for. I loved the people i worked with. Progressive is a very diverse company. Management is really great about sticking to the core values of the company.

Cons

Holistic attendance policy. Each supervisor can excuse or give occurrence for absence based on their opinion. If you and another employee from another team missed work for the same reason one supervisor may excuse it while the other marks it against you. Each day missed is a separate occurrence. If you are sick for three days there are three occurrences. The work load can be very heavy at times. The turnover rates it high.

Advice to Management

Advise potential employees of the work load. Change attendance policy to be fair to everyone.

11. Same old Call Center Job

Current Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and a good atmosphere with a fair amount of training to prepare you for the job itself. Also has a lot of art around the building to keep your mind occupied.

Cons

Tied to the phone as with any call center and having to deal with terrible/stupid customers that will make your 8-10 hours miserable.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, the training is good and managers are generally welcoming

Progressive Insurance Photos