Progressive Insurance

www.progressive.com

Progressive Insurance Reviews in Cleveland, OH

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick

Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 45 reviews)

• Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 24 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights
80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

very structured environment

Software Developer (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prospredictable, structured, canonical

managers are very well trained for all possible human incidents within a labor community, and are able to defuse and communicate points of conflict

Consnot allowed to think out of the box. If you do, you are rigorously reminded to do your assigned job and not much else.

Advice to Senior Managementallow a "free thinking day" once every two weeks

CCU claims adjuster

Claim Adjuster CCU (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosgood pay,
    shift bids,
    good benefits(not great)
    great co workers
    discounts with almost every company known to man

Cons*****THIS IS FOR THE CCU POSITION ONLY IN MAYFIELD VILLAGE OHIO*****
    pro training, hard metrics, stressful
    progressive gives you way too much work for 8 hrs its like 10 hr worth of work
    too many different answers from different manager on subject manner
    the training is just laughable they spend too much time on meaning less "to do list"
    At one point you can being DOING great with one manager and then get a new manager that says your aren't performing
    ccu is a dead end job
    Consisent stressed out employees who complain about work load
    Unfair metrics that are out of your control
    hard very hard to get time off... if not scheduled ... no sick time ie if you get sick get ready to get an occurance
    poor internet references on how to discover answers so most of the time as a new employee you spend the 1st 6 months asking questions to over worked co workers
    the average amount of employees are behind on their work because of the work load and if you take a day off its awful (ie if you take vacation be prepared to have a tone of voice mails, over 70 past due daries and be prepared to get 18 new darires that day)

Advice to Senior Managementno real option to advice to mamagement, a long process to do so

No Job Progression!!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood company to work for. Great benefits!!

ConsToo much stress on employees meeting their metrics and continuously adding more to the "to-do list" and not enough compensation. Tremendous employee turnover!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

About what you would expect from a company of this size.

Multiple Roles (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsAs far as pay and benefits, they know how to dangle the carrot at just the right place...they CAN be competitive with pay and benefits, when they want to be.

ConsVery little regard for employee advice or opinions. The corporate process people are so concerned with making changes universal across state lines, that they ignore the local market needs of claims handling. Their central unit, or CCU, has and continues to be a huge hindrance on efficiency and/or positive customer experiences. Favoritism with managers/employees runs rampant, and promotional opportunities are extremely minimal unless you're willing to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with corporate branding and process implementation. If there are departments dedicated to handling the individual legalities of state by state claims handling, don't you think that procedurally you need to leave some operational discretion for local site and branch managers? The CCU and the standardization of The Service Center Concierge locations processes across the nation are detracting from the customer experience as well as our opinions of work environment. Furthermore, in my personal experience, lateral transfers from out of state usually are transitional nightmares with local coworkers and managers. Why don't you try being a little more family-friendly or family considerate and promote from within the same geographical area? That's a huge reason that I'm interviewing at other companies currently.

Your typical corporate environment, nothing progressive but decent pay

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prospay is competitive, time off (called ETB) is good.

Consa boy's network, no matter how hard you work, if they don't think you fit, i.e. are a man with an Ivy League MBA, forget about moving up, just be happy to punch the clock.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe progressive, show appreciation for the employees and be impartial.

CSRs take call after call after call...

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsStable company, easy parking, nice building, main campus has a gym for $20/month

ConsYou will be chained to a headset and sit in a cubicle just taking calls all day. The days will drag on. After you have worked there for one year, you can try and put in for a schedule change so you do not have to work every Saturday or until 7PM at night.
    People who are sick will still come into work because it is hard to get time off approved and you cannot call off without it reflecting poorly on you. SO be prepared to work next to people who are coughing and sneezing. People in the customer service dept also eat like cattle at their desks. Be prepared to smell all kinds of disgusting food there. People there seem to gain weight from the job. Out if the 15 people in my hiring class, only 3 of us did not put on 20 pounds after working there 6 months. I think the constant sitting, stress, and poor air circulation (the windows do not open there) contributed to that.

Good Learning Opportunity

Incident Management Analyst (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe people are friendly for the most part. Decent training to prepare for the next company.

ConsTied to a cubicle. The wages are low. IT management is poor.

I had a good time there. One of the best benefit package. Most people are friendly, respectful and easy to work with.

Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFriendly Environment. Good benefit package.

ConsToo many segments of functions, roles and responsibilities that often create difficulties for needed changes due to some employees engaging in different acts to protect their jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved at a lower level to determine what is impeding a management set goal.

Pleasant people to work for.

Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsBonuses, Excellant salary and communication was good.

ConsNot enough time off days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communications open.

Good Place to grow

IT Group Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsLarge Company
    Good training opportunities
    Talk the walk - good intentions
    Job Security

ConsCan be pretentious. Too many large egos that talk like they are team oriented, etc but in the end are focused on themselevs and their career. Need to watch for back stabbing,

Advice to Senior ManagementThe IT Culture has changed over the 20 years I've been at PGR. Much of the culture is great - career development, communications, golden rule. Some of it bad - I've witnessed an attitude that had developed in the last 5 years in Sr Mgmt - almost feels like a clone army of simular styles and allot of yes men. In the early days individulaity was encourged and rewarded, this led to allot of innovation and rewarding relationships. Now it seems relationships are base don getting ahead and more political. This reflects the perosnality and style at the top of IT. Its too bad.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!