Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews in Cleveland, OH

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 45 reviews)

• Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 24 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IT intern

Former Employee - QA Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Great culture and employees are recognized for their hard work!

Cons

In house IT. IT is not their main business

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Estimator Intermediate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Estimator Intermediate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good bonus at year-end, great people to work with, management that is always wanting to see you succeed. They seem to hire new candidates that are hard-working, with a good sense of humor.

Cons

Behind on the times in the computer technology aspect. They try to keep the work-life balance in check, but, sometimes that can be very difficult.

Great place to work.....IF.......

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had one of the best schedules. Four days, M-Th, 1pm-12am, with Fri,Sat,Sun OFF!! A three day weekend every week? Where do I sign? Rate of pay to start is excellent, and gainshare can be amazing!! So why am I not still there? That's where the "IF" in my review title comes into play. See the "Cons" section for further details.

Cons

I worked in sales, so I will keep my comments, for the most part, directed to that skill set. In sales, we all know that price is the driving factor, when selling "air." What I mean by that is you are not selling anything tangible. The customer cannot touch it, see it, taste it or smell it. Insurance, of any type, is that way. The customer gets documents which are usually glanced over, then filed away, never again to see the light of day until renewal time, or accident time. However, as a sales rep for Progressive, you are hammered with. "Get the customer off the price discussion, and onto the reasons why Progressive is the best "fit" for their insurance needs." Easier said than done, but if you are one of the 'gifted' people who can do that, this is the job for you. "Impossible metrics". Now I've seen that phrase bandied about on these reviews and, while Progressive does set the bar high...really high...I have seen many reps meet and exceed them, so looking at that from a company perspective, my answer is..."If John, Sue, Jimmy and Darla can do it, then it can be done." Face it. That is true of any company. It's all about the numbers, baby!! Get used to it, because THAT is corporate 'Merica now. The metrics are what they are, and will only continue to rise, and be added to, as "new and improved" methods of grading employees come out of company think tanks. Now...here's why I am no longer there...A. I couldn't hit the metrics. B. I despise the hive mentality. "Bleed Progressive Blue." ? Sorry, not for me. I've never been a "team" player. C. ...and this is the primary reason I'm no longer there...I cannot understand people who...A. Can't speak English. Yes, there a Spanish line, but that's all there is. If the prospect speaks in any other accent, you are stuck with it. B. Multitaskers. Why people pick a time when they have a screaming baby in their arms....are munching on a bag of whatever...have their tv up so loud, that that's all you can hear...or are doing any manner of things, other than paying attention to you.....is beyond my comprehension. And trust me...you WILL get a lot of that. If you don't have a very thick skin, you better develop one in a hurry, or after about 4 months there, you will want to throw the phone at your computer monitor. If you want to work for Progressive in Sales, you need the following... A thick skin, a tolerance for stupidity, TONS of conflict resolution skills - because believe me...there WILL be conflicts for you to resolve - and lastly, belief in your product. If you are like me, and just want to punch in, do your work, punch out and go home.....don't even fill out an application. Save yourself AND Progressive the grief. Oh, and that "sweet' schedule? If you have the choice between the 4 days in a row on, 3 days in a row off - or 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off - take the 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off. 4 ten hour days in a row taking those calls will fry you faster than egg on a "High" burner setting. If you are competent in the things I have mentioned, then by all means send in an application, because you'll do well, and love the job.

You need more extensive training. You need to, after the P&C test is passed, spend more time with prospects figuring out where their breaking point is, before sending them on to Academy. You need to pull that stupid "Price comparison" ad off the airwaves. The tool does NOT work the way it is portrayed, and you know it. You need to offer phone reps a direct, solid way to address the question "How come you guys are so much more expensive, than what I have now?" Basically, the answers given to that question now, boil down to "We may be higher, but we're worth it." Not a good answer. Also, you have a flaw somewhere in your screening process. Aftyer 3 tries to get into Progressive, being told each time that I did not have enough "conflict resolution skills" - and now I see WHY you stress that so hard - I re-did my resume to make it look like I HAD those skills, and on the fourth try, got hired. Somebody didn't do their due diligence, or I would not have passed the background check. Just a FYI.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Progressive is a great place to work if you can suck up to your manager!

Former Employee - IT Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - IT Quality Assurance Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company rules are great on paper. Very employee friendly and a great place for professional growth on 'ideal conditions'. Best part is the training programs and great scope to update yourself with latest technology and trends. Benefits and pay package is highly satisfactory.

Cons

Most older IT teams have members absorbed from call center and they pose a threat to employees with college background. There is a nasty atmosphere for survival. Managers who come with non IT/high school background are a major hurdle in day to day work. With minimum professional behavior and technical understanding, they are neither supportive in project delivery nor in supporting employees career growth. There is another factor to deal with their insecurities apart from the incapacity. I have seen a manager who was sucked up by the IT employee referring the team member for promotion with achievements of proficiency in Excel and word document. Employees are left with two choices, either you suck up to such managers or leave the company. HR is one major showpiece which neither sticks to its work ethics nor rules.

Apart from the eye wash quarterly feedback about the management and the good for nothing HR, think about some other means to let employees reach out to the top management with their work experiences and management issues. NO your town hall meetings don't work. Let the IT have managers with minimum knowledge of the field.

CCU claims adjuster

Former Employee - Claim Adjuster CCU  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Claim Adjuster CCU in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay,
    shift bids,
    good benefits(not great)
    great co workers
    discounts with almost every company known to man

Cons

*****THIS IS FOR THE CCU POSITION ONLY IN MAYFIELD VILLAGE OHIO*****
    pro training, hard metrics, stressful
    progressive gives you way too much work for 8 hrs its like 10 hr worth of work
    too many different answers from different manager on subject manner
    the training is just laughable they spend too much time on meaning less "to do list"
    At one point you can being DOING great with one manager and then get a new manager that says your aren't performing
    ccu is a dead end job
    Consisent stressed out employees who complain about work load
    Unfair metrics that are out of your control
    hard very hard to get time off... if not scheduled ... no sick time ie if you get sick get ready to get an occurance
    poor internet references on how to discover answers so most of the time as a new employee you spend the 1st 6 months asking questions to over worked co workers
    the average amount of employees are behind on their work because of the work load and if you take a day off its awful (ie if you take vacation be prepared to have a tone of voice mails, over 70 past due daries and be prepared to get 18 new darires that day)

no real option to advice to mamagement, a long process to do so

very structured environment

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

predictable, structured, canonical

managers are very well trained for all possible human incidents within a labor community, and are able to defuse and communicate points of conflict

Cons

not allowed to think out of the box. If you do, you are rigorously reminded to do your assigned job and not much else.

allow a "free thinking day" once every two weeks

No Job Progression!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company to work for. Great benefits!!

Cons

Too much stress on employees meeting their metrics and continuously adding more to the "to-do list" and not enough compensation. Tremendous employee turnover!!!

About what you would expect from a company of this size.

Current Employee - Multiple Roles  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Multiple Roles in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As far as pay and benefits, they know how to dangle the carrot at just the right place...they CAN be competitive with pay and benefits, when they want to be.

Cons

Very little regard for employee advice or opinions. The corporate process people are so concerned with making changes universal across state lines, that they ignore the local market needs of claims handling. Their central unit, or CCU, has and continues to be a huge hindrance on efficiency and/or positive customer experiences. Favoritism with managers/employees runs rampant, and promotional opportunities are extremely minimal unless you're willing to move.

Do away with corporate branding and process implementation. If there are departments dedicated to handling the individual legalities of state by state claims handling, don't you think that procedurally you need to leave some operational discretion for local site and branch managers? The CCU and the standardization of The Service Center Concierge locations processes across the nation are detracting from the customer experience as well as our opinions of work environment. Furthermore, in my personal experience, lateral transfers from out of state usually are transitional nightmares with local coworkers and managers. Why don't you try being a little more family-friendly or family considerate and promote from within the same geographical area? That's a huge reason that I'm interviewing at other companies currently.

Your typical corporate environment, nothing progressive but decent pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

pay is competitive, time off (called ETB) is good.

Cons

a boy's network, no matter how hard you work, if they don't think you fit, i.e. are a man with an Ivy League MBA, forget about moving up, just be happy to punch the clock.

Be progressive, show appreciation for the employees and be impartial.

CSRs take call after call after call...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable company, easy parking, nice building, main campus has a gym for $20/month

Cons

You will be chained to a headset and sit in a cubicle just taking calls all day. The days will drag on. After you have worked there for one year, you can try and put in for a schedule change so you do not have to work every Saturday or until 7PM at night.
    People who are sick will still come into work because it is hard to get time off approved and you cannot call off without it reflecting poorly on you. SO be prepared to work next to people who are coughing and sneezing. People in the customer service dept also eat like cattle at their desks. Be prepared to smell all kinds of disgusting food there. People there seem to gain weight from the job. Out if the 15 people in my hiring class, only 3 of us did not put on 20 pounds after working there 6 months. I think the constant sitting, stress, and poor air circulation (the windows do not open there) contributed to that.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!