Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews in Cleveland, OH

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 47 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 28 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

202 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work, good team atmosphere

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team oriented, good benefits, flexible shedules depending on position, opportunities for advancement, in house training

Cons

no longer allows remote/distance work options for IT

Focus on retaining your quality resources.

IT Apps Programmer

Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Progressive for a little over a year and I can say, with confidence, that it is the best company I have worked for in my career. However, I also believe that employees get out what they put into it. In my opinion, this is not the kind of company where someone can show up for work and wait for something to do. While the project leadership will assign enough work to meet their goals, it is the responsibility of the employee to own their careers.

In the time I have been here, I have learned new frameworks, new languages, new design techniques and have been involved in community outreach programs and all without having to work excessively long hours or taking time away from my wife and children.

Additional Benefits
    - Gainshare (Performance goal-based profit sharing)
    - Flexible working environment
    - Excellent compensation
    - Training opportunities (technical, industry and Progressive-specific)
    - Work life balance
    - On site gym
    - On site healthcare services

Cons

- Health insurance offerings are very thorough plan but it is also expensive
              - We get charged a premium to insure working spouses. :-(
    - Change is slow and incremental (product of a large company)
    - Lots of process (sometimes to a fault)
    - Recruiting process is terrible!
              - Progressive is an excellent company to work for but getting your resume in front of a hiring manager can feel like an act of God. I was contacted by a recruiter because of my LinkedIn profile (not because of a job I actually applied for). Ironically, I applied for a position as a software developer 6 months prior and was rejected without any contact from a recruiter.

Keep doing what you are doing! Overall, Progressive is a place I am happy to work for and am looking forward to a long career here.

Depending on the department you work on, the experience can be fantastic

Current Employee - IT Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent experience, fantastic people, benefits program is very good

Cons

Egos of upper management; Politics;

Hold people accountable to Core Values

Great Culture and Flexible Work Environment

Current Employee - Senior Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gain Share(Bonus)
    6% 401k Match immediate 100% Vestment
    Flexible work schedules
    Work from home
    Competitive Compensation
    Beautiful Campus
    Free Parking Garage
    Rewards for innovation and working hard

Cons

It takes time to get into the swing of things just because there is a lot of process.
    I don't have any other cons at this point

Great Job! The positive culture and comfortable environment is something that is hard to find in Tech careers here in Cleveland. Continue to hire young outside talent with fresh ideas :)

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We pride ourselves on having a diverse and inclusive work culture. And, we agree that it can take time to get into the swing of things because we are a larger ... More

30+ year career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working, fun culture. Ge tto work with lots of great, smart, energized people.

Cons

Hard working culture! You gotta like working hard, but it's worth it.

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance and great bennifits

Cons

Some times not the greatest co workers

Learn the job that you are managing

Constant Call after Call.... never ending!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So the pros are inexpensive benefits, end of the year gain-sharing bonus, really nice building, free covered parking, close to freeway, in-house food available (cafeteria, Starbucks, Subway, mini convenient store, vending machines, coffee machines), in-house gym with lockers and showers, can browse the internet on your breaks and lunches.

Cons

The pay is so crummy! I do not think a person who is single and lives alone could afford to live on a CSR or Sales rep salary. If you take into consideration rent, car, gas, food..... you almost break even. I don't know how a single person can live and save money on this salary.
    Also, you are just taking call after call after call all day. When I was first hired, we had time off the phones to read updates, have meetings, work on projects. Now you get 15 mins in the morning to check email and read updates. After that it just constant calls until your break. You get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. They also have 10 minutes of misc time in case you need to use the bathroom or something inbetween your scheduled breaks/lunch.
    They monitor the number of calls of make. If you are not on a call speaking with a customer, that time counts against you.

People only stay for about 1-2 years. Once they have Progressive on their resume, they apply to companies where they will make $4-5 more per hour (that translates to around $8,000 to $10,000 more per year). I stayed with Progressive and then switched jobs. I make a little over $12,000 more than what I made at Progressive. And the best part is that I am not tied to a headset taking constant calls.

Great Company, but workplace environment is changing for the worse

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CLRU has the best schedule flexibility period
    The gainshare is an added bonus!!
    Campus 1 is very easy to get to.

Pay is pretty good considering I came in a few yrs back and new hires are starting lower than I did.

Cons

Seems like the benefits are getting cut more and more each year. Also there has been a decline in the employee appreciation, whether in raffles/contests, the appreciation parties and just general messages of encouragement. Yet we can all see the stock price is going up and the company is gaining more market share.

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of fun perks.....Great work atmosphere. Great Training. They are good at keeping things fresh be moving teams and managers about.

Cons

Open door policy is often talked about but not as easy as you'd hope. Lots of competition internally for promotions.

Artificial positive attitude

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is beautiful; artwork everywhere and it feels like encouraging creativity.

Cons

No available time off, schedules are always bad and unethical, and it seems like their metrics are designed to be able to give them ability to fire people at will instead of actively measuring progress. They also effectively mandate that overtime be used but hurt your statistics if you work through lunch, to get home earlier.
    In addition, it's impossible to arrange a day off unless you schedule more than six months ahead, so if you become ill then they're already planning to fire you.
    They're also obsessed with their investment in service centers, which drastically lengthens the repair process and infuriates the customers, which leads to an even worse position.
    Plus, they're much below the average pay for the position.

You are not progressive, and the service centers are a waste. In addition, the horrible scheduling seriously injures peoples' ability to schedule their lives.

Progressive Insurance Photos