Progressive Insurance
www.progressive.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick

Glenn M. Renwick

Pros:
  • "Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Schedule flexibility, fun work environment, supportive management"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance-as much as you are told that Progressive wants you to have"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Customer Service can always be challenging dealing with the different types of people"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Poor treatment of employees

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
Riverside, CA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey will cross train you and send you occasionally to different states.

ConsThey they their employees like crap. They will find any excuse not to give you a raise regardless of how well you perform. Typical overworked and underpaid situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

Progressive used to be the greatest company to work for back in the day. Now they have too many chiefs

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood starting salary. Great CEO who reads his email!

ConsImpossible demographics to follow as well as they keep changing. Bad management and coaching. Impossible expectations. No positive feedback only negative. Stress level is made very high. Computer problems for work at home people and not corrected. They do not listen to the employee to solve the actual situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer service is to serve the customer. Not try to meet the demographics imposed by management on employees trying to do their jobs. Mattersite was originally put into effect to help supervisors that had no call center experience learn the employees personality to help coach them, not make the employee's analyze the customers personality, to judge how to answer the call. Maybe it is a good training tool, but definitely doesn't change the way a experienced CSR's way of handling a call just adds to the stress. As a progressive customer myself, if I found out you are analyzing me I would change to another insurer. With all the other pressures you are putting on the employees, do you not realize that is the reason for tenured reps leaving. You can't work for fear of being fired every week with impossible weekly coaching sessions. There seems to be no loyalty to the tenured high qualified knowledgable reps with insurance backgrounds who enjoy customer service.
 Sure you can hire new reps at a lower salary. How long are they going to stay? There are too many chiefs with NO call center experience and not enough Indians to coin a phrase. Did you ever hear of undercover boss television show. You might want to try it Glen Renwick and you will see how bad some of your supervisors and managers are on an ego trip. 15 years is enough! I am gone. Best of luck! It really was a great company in the day.

Great Experience

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Prosculture, flexibility, values, people, focus on wellness

Conslocation, pay practices, workload,promotions take a long time

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to re-visit salaries and pay practices to ensure employees are being paid market value

Good Learning Opportunity

Incident Management Analyst (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people are friendly for the most part. Decent training to prepare for the next company.

ConsTied to a cubicle. The wages are low. IT management is poor.

CSRs take call after call after call...

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsStable company, easy parking, nice building, main campus has a gym for $20/month

ConsYou will be chained to a headset and sit in a cubicle just taking calls all day. The days will drag on. After you have worked there for one year, you can try and put in for a schedule change so you do not have to work every Saturday or until 7PM at night.
People who are sick will still come into work because it is hard to get time off approved and you cannot call off without it reflecting poorly on you. SO be prepared to work next to people who are coughing and sneezing. People in the customer service dept also eat like cattle at their desks. Be prepared to smell all kinds of disgusting food there. People there seem to gain weight from the job. Out if the 15 people in my hiring class, only 3 of us did not put on 20 pounds after working there 6 months. I think the constant sitting, stress, and poor air circulation (the windows do not open there) contributed to that.

Trending wrong direction

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDuring periods of growth during the early 2000s this was a great company. During that time great opportunities were offered for employees who were dynamic, forward looking and willing to take risks.

ConsProcess overtook people starting at the beginning of this decade. Lost the mindset that the most valuable asset of any organization is the people the come and go each day which in turn reduced employee engagement that can be seen in reduced growth, less consistent customer service and more ordinary financial results. Looks like more of the same with another reorganization in 2014

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to developing the core group of employees, especially leaders that drive results, not processes.

Overworked, underappreciated!

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe friendships you build with your co-workers are the only reason the job is tolerable.

ConsHeavy workload, management claims they cannot find qualified candidates to hire, so the adjusters remaining are severely overworked and given a workload that is impossible to manage. This results in poor work environment and claims adjusters drop like flies. Measured by a score determined by customer survey's, which means if 1 person makes a mistake in your file or upsets the customer, you get a poor performance score.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit expecting sparkling, perfect files when each adjuster is given the workload of 3 people! Be reasonable during file reviews in correlation to what the workload has been year to date.

This claims position simply didn't work for me!

Claims Generalist (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only upside was that all of the people with whom I came in contact were very friendly. That's why I give two stars. I'm sure other positions within the company are more aligned with my skill set, but claims certainly was not. I wish I'd never accepted this position.

ConsThis job was misrepresented during my lone in person interview. The interviewer failed to adequately describe the duties and requisite skills even though I asked repeatedly. My supervisor was out of the office for my first week of employment and I didn't receive any guidance during that time. Simple questions were met with, wait until (Supervisor) gets back. In the end, the position just didn't meet up with my skills, personality or values: a situation that could have been avoided had the position been properly represented during the interview process.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure your interviewers do a thorough job of describing the position. I was told that I'd be out at accident scenes and would not necessarily be chained to a computer at a desk. This was not the case at all.

Expect to work weekends and late as the norm

Claims Representativec (Former Employee)
Valdosta, GA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe most technologically savvy company on the planet. Reasonable pay/bonus/vacation. Good co-workers.

ConsBeyond excessive work load. 150% of what should be considered reasonable. I worked claims out-of-state and it was reasonable. Georgia claims is simply unreasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce volume by at least 20%, then allow only top performers to apply for a 10% bonus to handle the extra workload. Only allow this if their audits and customer service numbers stay up. Use this pool as an indicator of people who are ready to move up. This will allow those who do not want or cannot handle the higher volume to work at a reasonable pace, while allowing others to over-achieve. Also consider team assignments.

Overall, It is a great company. Don't let politics get in your way to succeed.

IT Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee)
Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsImpressive job benefits and amenities. Significant IT projects and cutting edge projects.

ConsSignificant amount of contractors. Movement depends on manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all managers are experienced enough and do not have the knowledge to assist their employees.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Insurance CEO Glenn M. Renwick. All 555 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees.