Progressive Insurance
www.progressive.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick

Glenn M. Renwick

Pros:
  • "Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities"
    in 53 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance-as much as you are told that Progressive wants you to have"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Customer Service can always be challenging dealing with the different types of people"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The experience you have at Progressive is entirely dependent on the office you work in.

Claims Generalist Associate (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsProgressive hires great people. They have a knack for acquiring great talent.

ConsThey are extremely biased against veterans & people with commitments outside of work. Unless you have kids, there is no leeway given to you for family/friend emergencies. If you want to take time off work, you have to request it a minimum of 2 months out. The financial compensation offered is not worth the work required, especially if you're a salaried or "non-exempt" employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize your processes & technology. Make your pay competitive to the market.

An every changing environment

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsYou know what to expect when you get to work. Nothing will be placed upon you that you didn't expect or see coming.

ConsSee above. Nothing really changes all that much. The job was answering phones. You become glued to your desk. Their system for monitoring your status prevents you from ever having down time. You become super paranoid about your stats and productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood employees work hard, they do not need big brother watching over their should to remind them.

About what you would expect from a company of this size.

Multiple Roles (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsAs far as pay and benefits, they know how to dangle the carrot at just the right place...they CAN be competitive with pay and benefits, when they want to be.

ConsVery little regard for employee advice or opinions. The corporate process people are so concerned with making changes universal across state lines, that they ignore the local market needs of claims handling. Their central unit, or CCU, has and continues to be a huge hindrance on efficiency and/or positive customer experiences. Favoritism with managers/employees runs rampant, and promotional opportunities are extremely minimal unless you're willing to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with corporate branding and process implementation. If there are departments dedicated to handling the individual legalities of state by state claims handling, don't you think that procedurally you need to leave some operational discretion for local site and branch managers? The CCU and the standardization of The Service Center Concierge locations processes across the nation are detracting from the customer experience as well as our opinions of work environment. Furthermore, in my personal experience, lateral transfers from out of state usually are transitional nightmares with local coworkers and managers. Why don't you try being a little more family-friendly or family considerate and promote from within the same geographical area? That's a huge reason that I'm interviewing at other companies currently.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical call center.

Inside Insurance Sales (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress and same atmosphere

ConsDisconnect between upper level and mid level management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new middle level managers.

Structured environment with little to no room for personal judgement

Fire & Theft Claims Investigator (Current Employee)
    Sterling Heights, MI

ProsBenefits are good, vacation time was plentiful.

ConsManagement did not like to hear what should be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to lower level workers

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsWell known company, good infrastructure.

ConsDon't value college degree towards higher salary

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the caliber of who you are hiring not just the position you are trying to fill.

SO SO Company for as big as they are

IT Corp (Former Employee)
    Mayfield, OH

ProsPeriodic work from home was a plus
    relaxed a little on the hours

Consvery metting oriented
    driven on Matrix rather than employee performance
    Managers seem not to care about employees just the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry managing your people and they will give you the numbers. Managing just to the numbers will drive the good employees to quit.

Disappointing

Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Mayfield, OH

ProsBonus at the end of the year
    Easy to get a day off if you plan ahead of time

ConsNo longer have flexible schedules
    Depending on the manager your stress level could be unbearable
    No one is on the same page
    Pushes sales, even if its not what you signed up for

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page and attempt to be more understanding to call center reps

Best Place I ever Worked

Claims Generalist (Current Employee)

ProsCasual Work Environment, Competitive Pay with Profit Sharing, Ethical place to work in regards to claims handling and settlement. Great Health Insurance Benefits, Paid Time off,

ConsClaims Volume is high as company keeps growing and that stretches employees thin at times, upward Mobility seems near impossible due to various factors for instance, People stay in their current roles for so long but you cant blame them as the company is indeed a great place to work with competitive pay + profit sharing there is no room to move up, another reason is progressive has such great talent to move up one has to be extremely exceptional at what they do so when the rare opportunity comes up one can have a shot at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should seriously consider giving supervisors more training in managing people also I think management should re-orientate their managers regularly (every 3 years or so) as the business needs evolve due to changing customer needs, progressive does a really good job staying ahead of the curve in terms of products but on the back end they should also re-orientate their managers to make them aware of these shifts. (most managers have been with the company for over 20 years and in some that I have had the pleasure of dealing with, you can see they still hold "old school views" of doing stuff that may not be relevant with today 's customer. All in all I think the management team at progressive is amazing.

I worked as a contractor in the Pittsburgh claims office for approximately 6 months (ending in 2006).

Accounting Clerk/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat supervisors. They told me what I needed to do, showed me how to do it (if this was necessary) and turned me loose.

Great co-workers (esp Bruce from Pgh Claims). Never knew that many females in one place could be Howard Stern fans :)

Consnone that I can think of

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Insurance CEO Glenn M. Renwick. All 615 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees.