Progressive Insurance

www.progressive.com

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick

Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation(in 45 reviews)

• Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules(in 24 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail(in 19 reviews)

No Job Progression!!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood company to work for. Great benefits!!

ConsToo much stress on employees meeting their metrics and continuously adding more to the "to-do list" and not enough compensation. Tremendous employee turnover!!!

The experience you have at Progressive is entirely dependent on the office you work in.

Claims Generalist Associate (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsProgressive hires great people. They have a knack for acquiring great talent.

ConsThey are extremely biased against veterans & people with commitments outside of work. Unless you have kids, there is no leeway given to you for family/friend emergencies. If you want to take time off work, you have to request it a minimum of 2 months out. The financial compensation offered is not worth the work required, especially if you're a salaried or "non-exempt" employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize your processes & technology. Make your pay competitive to the market.

An every changing environment

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsYou know what to expect when you get to work. Nothing will be placed upon you that you didn't expect or see coming.

ConsSee above. Nothing really changes all that much. The job was answering phones. You become glued to your desk. Their system for monitoring your status prevents you from ever having down time. You become super paranoid about your stats and productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood employees work hard, they do not need big brother watching over their should to remind them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

About what you would expect from a company of this size.

Multiple Roles (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsAs far as pay and benefits, they know how to dangle the carrot at just the right place...they CAN be competitive with pay and benefits, when they want to be.

ConsVery little regard for employee advice or opinions. The corporate process people are so concerned with making changes universal across state lines, that they ignore the local market needs of claims handling. Their central unit, or CCU, has and continues to be a huge hindrance on efficiency and/or positive customer experiences. Favoritism with managers/employees runs rampant, and promotional opportunities are extremely minimal unless you're willing to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with corporate branding and process implementation. If there are departments dedicated to handling the individual legalities of state by state claims handling, don't you think that procedurally you need to leave some operational discretion for local site and branch managers? The CCU and the standardization of The Service Center Concierge locations processes across the nation are detracting from the customer experience as well as our opinions of work environment. Furthermore, in my personal experience, lateral transfers from out of state usually are transitional nightmares with local coworkers and managers. Why don't you try being a little more family-friendly or family considerate and promote from within the same geographical area? That's a huge reason that I'm interviewing at other companies currently.

Typical call center.

Inside Insurance Sales (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress and same atmosphere

ConsDisconnect between upper level and mid level management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new middle level managers.

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsWell known company, good infrastructure.

ConsDon't value college degree towards higher salary

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the caliber of who you are hiring not just the position you are trying to fill.

Structured environment with little to no room for personal judgement

Fire & Theft Claims Investigator (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsBenefits are good, vacation time was plentiful.

ConsManagement did not like to hear what should be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to lower level workers

Progressive is a great place to work, benefits and facilities are above expectations.

Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) Mayfield, OH

ProsGrowth opportunity for people who don't complain and take advantage of constructive feedback by applying it do get ahead.

ConsNavigating the politics, it's not impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful not to play favorites or allow others to gain that perspective. Keep the transparency going.

Out of college: Couldn't be happier!

Applications Programmer (Current Employee) Mayfield, OH

ProsMy experience at Progressive has been great so far. You're put into meaningful work right away, the coworkers are diverse and interesting, and the environment is welcoming. The perks available on campus such as a fitness center and health center are wonderful, and work/life balance is highly emphasized through things like flexible scheduling. The buildings and corporate art are amazing, and for a first job out of school, I have very little to complain about.

ConsIt's a big company, which means learning your way around can be difficult -- there are lots of very siloed departments and figuring out how they're related is a slow process. Likewise, there can be a lot of logistical overhead when getting situated in the new job. However, it seems well worth it so far.

Good Training for New Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearn the insurance industry from a well run training organization. There is structure in place to learn what you need to know.

ConsThe only thing that matters is the shareholder. If the results aren't there, the organization will re-structure. Also, benefits were awkward to use outside of Cleveland.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!