Progressive Insurance

www.progressive.com

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick

Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation(in 45 reviews)

• Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules(in 24 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail(in 20 reviews)

Best Place I ever Worked

Claims Generalist (Current Employee)

ProsCasual Work Environment, Competitive Pay with Profit Sharing, Ethical place to work in regards to claims handling and settlement. Great Health Insurance Benefits, Paid Time off,

ConsClaims Volume is high as company keeps growing and that stretches employees thin at times, upward Mobility seems near impossible due to various factors for instance, People stay in their current roles for so long but you cant blame them as the company is indeed a great place to work with competitive pay + profit sharing there is no room to move up, another reason is progressive has such great talent to move up one has to be extremely exceptional at what they do so when the rare opportunity comes up one can have a shot at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should seriously consider giving supervisors more training in managing people also I think management should re-orientate their managers regularly (every 3 years or so) as the business needs evolve due to changing customer needs, progressive does a really good job staying ahead of the curve in terms of products but on the back end they should also re-orientate their managers to make them aware of these shifts. (most managers have been with the company for over 20 years and in some that I have had the pleasure of dealing with, you can see they still hold "old school views" of doing stuff that may not be relevant with today 's customer. All in all I think the management team at progressive is amazing.

I worked as a contractor in the Pittsburgh claims office for approximately 6 months (ending in 2006).

Accounting Clerk/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat supervisors. They told me what I needed to do, showed me how to do it (if this was necessary) and turned me loose.

Great co-workers (esp Bruce from Pgh Claims). Never knew that many females in one place could be Howard Stern fans :)

Consnone that I can think of

Contact Center Rep

Contact Center Rep (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat place to work. Gym on site, doctor on site, food...ART!...what more can you ask for? Also, very understanding managers, and easy to talk to. Great work, life, family, school balance. Really not a lot of companies left that are like these guys. My only advice, is, if you need to leave, make sure you build strong connections in case you want to return. I needed to leave this company for an emergency relocation to another state-family illness. I've tried to return, the company hasn't extended any interviews..although their HR department assured that I was eligible for re-hire. The pay is great, the atmosphere isn't comparable to other companies, and the training is outstanding. I'd love to return to this company. I've worked for other companies making much more money, but it truly wasn't worth the stress. If you have an offer here, and you like handling customer service calls, and you like to go home when your shift ends...Take the job!

ConsNone really. Fair reviews, quality training, good pay, great work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes people who leave, really have to. But if they want to return, you should welcome them. Especially when they were extremely valuable to your customers and even receive outstanding comments about their customer service from your competitors. Imagine your potential when you have a team that's truly on your side.. That's Progressive- (go ahead and use that for marketing).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Company

Medical Claims Representative (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCompetitive salary
    Great work environment
    Flexible with work schedule and work from home arrangements
    Fantastic management

ConsLimited opportunities other than claims in the Seattle area.

Progressive is a great company to work for.

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Athens, GA

ProsPay, benefits, and work environment.

ConsHigh volume of claims and workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

it was a pleasant straight forward experience

ProsThe turn around rate of them setting up an interview was extremely fast

Consthe background check is intensive so fnding old W2 was a little challenging

Claims Generalist Intermediate

Claims Generalist Intermediate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat co-workers and gainshare is a nice bonus to get at the end of the year. Excellent benefits and 401k matching. They have an awesome training program for anyone looking to be in insurance claims.

ConsPeople are over worked and constantly frustrated. There is too much empasis on meeting unrealistic expectations. I have never seen anyone be completely caught up and feel okay about leaving for the day. There is no way to advance your career with all the manangement restructures. You can move to different deparments but not advance. Also, the pay needs to be more competitive. Gainshare should be a bonus, not part of your salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to balance the workload. There is no way you can do all that is required with the amount of claims that you receive everyday. I did it for over ten years, and left on my own free will because I saw no future for me other than claims. After handling injuries, there is nothing else to aspire to. In my last year at Progressive, almost all of the tenured reps have left the company. I think managment needs to really address it before Progressive becomes a rolling door--again.

An every changing environment

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsYou know what to expect when you get to work. Nothing will be placed upon you that you didn't expect or see coming.

ConsSee above. Nothing really changes all that much. The job was answering phones. You become glued to your desk. Their system for monitoring your status prevents you from ever having down time. You become super paranoid about your stats and productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood employees work hard, they do not need big brother watching over their should to remind them.

Typical call center.

Inside Insurance Sales (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress and same atmosphere

ConsDisconnect between upper level and mid level management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new middle level managers.

Structured environment with little to no room for personal judgement

Fire & Theft Claims Investigator (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsBenefits are good, vacation time was plentiful.

ConsManagement did not like to hear what should be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to lower level workers

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!