Progressive Insurance Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • They have a good work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Laid back work environment great place to work (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work in Cleveland

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time

Pros

Progressive has wonderful work perks: onsite health care, fitness centers, large cafeteria area, college campus look and feel. Lots of job opportunities to start as one job and work your way up or into a different job title if interested. Lots of jobs and flexibility. Also, work-life balance is good. Can work from home 1-2 days per week.

Cons

Large corporation (like all others posted) has the bureaucracy and overhead of processes, even though they may not apply to everyone. Some job titles are harder to move up, but there is a lot of room to move around laterally.

When you work hard, you get to play hard. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Claims Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Because I have dedicated myself to my job as a career, I have seen much effort placed in my development. Senior management understands that employees need to have attainable goals. Monthly coaching discussions are emphasized to assist in each person's growth. There are so many different avenues to get into within the company. It's no secret that Progressive spends a lot of money on training good people. It's the reason we have scouts constantly looking to steal away our talent. Senior management recognizes that people are people outside of the workforce. We come together inside the office as one big team and leave outside differences behind us.

Cons

If you work in claims, the workload can be very intense. It's pretty much a product of "Corporate America" to be pushed and prodded with the words "accuracy" and "efficiency" so Progressive is not alone. But a standard 8 hour shift, not to mention the stress going home can be very wearing. BUT, the pressure I've endured has only made me a stronger person, even outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I'm proud to be a part of an organization that is consistently looking for ways to improve.

3. Progressive employees can be proud of their company!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Stable, established company that is still fresh and innovative. The processes we follow encourage feedback and integrity. The great work ethic of our employees are demonstrated every day and is consistent across our many claims offices. We are kept abreast of our goals and challenges as well as activity within the organization. It is great to hear from customers who are impressed and satisfied with Progressive.

Cons

Competition from other carriers, especially in advertising, makes our growth a little more difficult. There are also negative feelings about the insurance industry as a whole from customers. Since the hurricanes and other disasters that have affect the nation, insurance companies have gotten a bad rap, some deservedly so.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture and encourage employees.

Great place to work !!

Current Employee - Training in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Training in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

My manager cares about me and how I feel about my job. I am paid fairly for the work I do. My job allows me the flexibility to manage my work life and home life. My boss gives me positive feedback as well as constructive criticism when needed. Reviews are done timely and throughout the year to ensure that you know where you stand on your objectives and goals. Career opportunities are available if you have the flexibility to move within the United States. My vacation and time off benefits are very flexible. I have the ability to request time off and know that if I do go on vacation, my job can be managed by someone else while I am gone.

Cons

There are some instances of unfairness in promotions and salaries based on being "liked" vs. actual job effectiveness.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Try to take personal opinions out of decisions and make it more performance based.

Largely a great place to work.....but with reservations

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Ease of movement around the company. Intelligent developers. Good facilities. Exposure to a wide variety of technologies.

Cons

Middle management is not trusted by upper management and they know it. Everyone feels as if their heads are on the chopping blocks. Architects are attempting to improve programmer efficiency through the creation of architectures which reduce the need to have talented developers. Developers then become the less skilled, less talented people we fear becoming.

Advice to Management

Trust the people below you - there still remain talented people below senior management. However we feel unappreciated and as if we have an adversarial relationship.

I love my job-- thanks, PROGRESSIVE.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Large company with excellent benefits and job security (as secure as you can get given the current state of the economy in '08).

Cons

You have to WORK as a claims adjuster. Must know how to plan your day/control your workload. I like that since you have freedom to work as you please and set your schedule as long as you stay on top of your work.

Advice to Management

Relax with the impossible expectations (ie. calling customers back 2hrs after a claim is filed vs 48hrs with other insurance companies, and inspecting vehicles the same day of the accident). We're used to the work now, so it's the norm but it still seems strange when workers at other large companies have 2-3 business days to reach their customers and are closed on weekends and we have to reach customers and sometimes go out for inspections even on the weekends. I guess Progressive means it when they say "customer service"!

8. Nor rich, but happy

Former Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The work environment is very relaxed, I wore jeans to work half of the week. It was also very easy to joke with and connect with my managers, who took an active interest in my life and my transition to life in Cleveland. The internship was a valuable experience for me, given the choice I would definitely do it again. Another great thing about working at Progressive is that is is very nearly like working in a modern art museum, as there is artwork all over the campus to inspire employees to think innovatively.

Cons

The pay is lower than I would find for a similar position with other firms.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is doing a fair job.

9. Progressive: Already a Great Place To Work With The Potential to Be a Fantastic One

Current Employee - Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The benefits as they are better than those of many larger Fortune 500 Companies. Management should also be rewarded for making the company an employee friendly workplace on an individual and personal level.

Cons

Customer/employee unfriendly internal systems that could and should be simplified. It's the first place Ive worked that had "known issues" by the score.

Advice to Management

Implement a company assisted stock purchase program for all employees, not just senior management. It's the only piece of the benefits pie missing in my eyes and would most certainly drive the results we are looking for in performance. Also, bring front line contact center reps into product manager and executive missing. There is, at times, quite a disconnect between the two.

10. Developer view of Progressive.

Current Employee - Lead Application Programmer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Application Programmer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedule, bright team members.

Cons

A Large IT department will sometimes hinder time to market for new applications due to the large number of groups that must be involved.

Advice to Management

A more searchable intranet would be helpful.

11. If you are not efficient Progressive is not for you take a hard look at yourself before accepting a position.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

As a Claims Generalist Progressive is a great place to work. there is alot of autonomy to the job which makes the job very hard for those that are not use to it. If you are someone with excellent organizational skills and can judge which priorities are imporant you wil do very well at Progressive

Cons

the Autonomy, Progressive has a very care free culture claims generalist basically plan there day and do waht they want however you are accountable for the results of your choices. so if you make the wrong decisions and you seem inefficient you will not last long at Progressive

Advice to Management

i think that the comapny has an excellent approach. either you find your groove or you don't.

RSS Feed </> Embed