Progressive Insurance
www.progressive.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick

Glenn M. Renwick

Pros:
  • "Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities"
    in 53 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance-as much as you are told that Progressive wants you to have"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Customer Service can always be challenging dealing with the different types of people"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Claims Generalist Intermediate

Claims Generalist Intermediate (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat co-workers and gainshare is a nice bonus to get at the end of the year. Excellent benefits and 401k matching. They have an awesome training program for anyone looking to be in insurance claims.

ConsPeople are over worked and constantly frustrated. There is too much empasis on meeting unrealistic expectations. I have never seen anyone be completely caught up and feel okay about leaving for the day. There is no way to advance your career with all the manangement restructures. You can move to different deparments but not advance. Also, the pay needs to be more competitive. Gainshare should be a bonus, not part of your salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to balance the workload. There is no way you can do all that is required with the amount of claims that you receive everyday. I did it for over ten years, and left on my own free will because I saw no future for me other than claims. After handling injuries, there is nothing else to aspire to. In my last year at Progressive, almost all of the tenured reps have left the company. I think managment needs to really address it before Progressive becomes a rolling door--again.

Going downhill...

ProsThe training onboarding was great. They did a good job of training you and making you think that you were on to something great. If you are into free lunches, the company is great at feeding you practically once a week. (It's so you can be expected to work through lunch, by the way.)

ConsWork flexibility is a joke. It's advertised but never given. The company waits until 12 people quit in a 5 month period before they consider hiring people. (And they never bother to think that maybe it's management that has so many people quitting at once! ) Hiring is a joke also since Progressive offers about $10,000 less a year than other insurance companies for most positions. Don't think you will get a raise anytime soon either. Most people get less than the rate of inflation a year and that's a big fat IF they even score one. Many people go years without a raise around here.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit forcing employees to steer customers to using Progressive body shops and fix the math on the surveys. Employees should not have to dig out of a hole just because someone had a bad experience with someone other than the file owner or because we didn't extend a rental or something. No wonder why corporate is fighting off class action suits. They will keep coming in unless you change the treatment of employees.

Progressive is going down hill fast!

ProsI get paid. that is it!

ConsWhen I first started with this organization back in 2004, it was a special place to work. Progressive call center was not like any that existed. In the last 9 years, This place has gone DOWN HILL!!!!! Management just wants to make money! Its not about the customers anymore! its about numbers! and hitting those numbers. It is about the shareholders!!!! and not the customers or the employees that work their butts off day in and day out on the phone!!!!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor treatment of employees

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
    Riverside, CA

ProsThey will cross train you and send you occasionally to different states.

ConsThey they their employees like crap. They will find any excuse not to give you a raise regardless of how well you perform. Typical overworked and underpaid situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

Progressive used to be the greatest company to work for back in the day. Now they have too many chiefs

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGood starting salary. Great CEO who reads his email!

ConsImpossible demographics to follow as well as they keep changing. Bad management and coaching. Impossible expectations. No positive feedback only negative. Stress level is made very high. Computer problems for work at home people and not corrected. They do not listen to the employee to solve the actual situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer service is to serve the customer. Not try to meet the demographics imposed by management on employees trying to do their jobs. Mattersite was originally put into effect to help supervisors that had no call center experience learn the employees personality to help coach them, not make the employee's analyze the customers personality, to judge how to answer the call. Maybe it is a good training tool, but definitely doesn't change the way a experienced CSR's way of handling a call just adds to the stress. As a progressive customer myself, if I found out you are analyzing me I would change to another insurer. With all the other pressures you are putting on the employees, do you not realize that is the reason for tenured reps leaving. You can't work for fear of being fired every week with impossible weekly coaching sessions. There seems to be no loyalty to the tenured high qualified knowledgable reps with insurance backgrounds who enjoy customer service.
     Sure you can hire new reps at a lower salary. How long are they going to stay? There are too many chiefs with NO call center experience and not enough Indians to coin a phrase. Did you ever hear of undercover boss television show. You might want to try it Glen Renwick and you will see how bad some of your supervisors and managers are on an ego trip. 15 years is enough! I am gone. Best of luck! It really was a great company in the day.

Great Experience

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Prosculture, flexibility, values, people, focus on wellness

Conslocation, pay practices, workload,promotions take a long time

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to re-visit salaries and pay practices to ensure employees are being paid market value

Bad Pay, No Advancement

Claims Generalist (Former Employee)
    Bothell, WA

ProsFriendly people. Plenty of parking spot.

ConsThere are always unnecessary meetings (they call it "round tables") and useless "break the ice" activities that are unprofessional and achieve nothing. The pay is really sub-par, and they expect you to achieve a 5 out of 5 customer survey. If you don't, they'll have a "round-table" with you and see what your "opportunities" are. The truth is that there are many other factors/variables for a survey does not get a perfect score. They spent hours and hours discussing with you about this one survey. Really counter-productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager starts from data entry, to claims, to now managing people? Really? Need to have some real education.

Claim Adjuster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsNice Office. Pay is okay for a new grad.

ConsOverworked, dealing with angry customer, no support from management, my supervisor was always shopping on amazon instead of "supervising"

Beware of this unethical, law breaking, sweat shop

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Arlington, TX

Prosco-worrkers on non management level

ConsIt is set up from the top all the way down to "churn and burn". When you interview with them, look around and see if you see any tenured/older workers. Progressive talks a big line, sucks you in and then "wham". You can count on answering 50 + phone calls daily, getting 10-15 claims per day, being micro-managed until you are crazy. They will review your files to the nth degree. There is no open door policy. They let their management team break laws. Heck the former president of claims got caught putting spies in a group therapy session to get smut on one of their claimants. Progressive got caught on this one. This is there ethical standard. DISHONESTY. I am so glad I have left this cess pool company. The absolute worst job and management I have ever experienced. Read all reviews, HR goes in and writes the positive ones to get the ratings up so they can trap young, naïve employees who will buy there BS. Run Forest Run

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the lies, You now have a reputation out here. You have created this environment to line your pockets with your big stock options. Very, very sad what you have turned this once great company into.

complete lies

Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosthe people you work with

Conseverything in the department changes without notice and if your direct team lead does not let you know those changes in a timely manner than it will negatively affect you and hurt your career

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say you are going to do something like work with your employees than do that. Pick your managers based off their ability to manage and lead a group of employees and not based on a program they have created.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Insurance CEO Glenn M. Renwick. All 615 reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees.