Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Treat you like an adult, many great benefits, company really wants you to succeed.

Cons

Although I was in an entry level position I was excited to return to the Insurance industry. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of insurance involved to my disappointment.

you get into it what you put out of it

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

on site cafeteria and convenient store. flexibility to request days off if done in advance. gainshare bonus and benefits are pretty good. decent training modules; you will learn a lot if this is your first time dealing with insurance.

Cons

call volume can be high with obnoxious callers with lots of attitude. there is a sense of "you're expected to know this..." once you've been in the role for 6 months. redundancy with training and an effort to be very scripted. typical office politics. work/life balance is not as great as the company makes it out to be. burnout is very real.

respect the differences in each person. not everyone is the loud, happy-go-lucky person you want them to be. offer better schedule selections and choices.

Looking for career advancement? Keep looking because its not here...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the coworkers have been constantly great and are some of the best people I've worked with ever. The job is stable (I've been here eleven years. You never run out of unhappy customers calling regarding premium increases). Gainshare is nice at the end of the year but it feels kinda like a carrot being dangled above a rabbit. It's a constant reminder.

Cons

the workload is pretty ridiculous. expect to be at your desk 95% of the time if you want to meet the standards and metrics that are constantly changed based off the new hires who come in. Expect little to no break in between calls and expect to be stressed/ have some type of health issues while here. Its probably the most stressful job I've ever been at.

Your tenure means little to nothing so don't plan to stay long-term.

The work life balance/PTO scheduling USED to be excellent. Now they are basing your schedule on your performance with little to no focus on tenured reps. As this rolls out, the customer experience will deteriorate and the workload will be worse because reps will leave due to this.

Career advancement is non existent. Little to no movement (or even lateral movement). Take it from me. I've been on the job for eleven years and check the job listing every day. It's easier to get the training/one to two years experience and move on.

I've been lucky enough to have some excellent managers but I could see how someone would leave if they had a job like this and a bad manager. My advice to management is to take some calls (maybe a few hours a week). You can't really understand what we do unless you do it. That goes for upper management also. It's easy to tell someone what numbers they should be meeting when your looking at a spreadsheet.

Very focused on individual and team performance numbers(Net Promoter Score, contacts w/in 24 hours, etc)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Focus on work environment, reasonable hours

Cons

The focus on performance numbers (vs file quality) encourages micromanagement and manipulation to create the appearance of success.

Promote leaders, not bosses.

Medical claim rep

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Flex time,Good coworkers, free lunch about once a year

Cons

Pathetic management, lack of training, you are just thrown into the mix and expected to know everything

Good stepping stone company, run far away and fast

Heavy Workload + Unrealistic Expectations vs. Alright Pay & Alright Benefits

Current Employee - Claims Generalist Associate in Doral, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Generalist Associate in Doral, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are alright and pay is decent. Health coverage has high deductibles and you only have 2 plans to choose from. Bonus is paid at end of year, usually 8% of your annual pay. 401(K) match is 7%. No drug test required to get hired. Depending on your annual review, you can receive a flat 0% raise up to 4%.

Cons

Be ready to sit at a desk for 9 hours+ a day. Expectations increase everyday and being an insurance company they want you to provide good service but at the same time look for ways not to have to pay customers. They also want you to provide outstanding service to each customer while you get 7+ claims to handle a day. Workload is always high and when discussed with management, they say they're hiring more people or don't address the concerns. The job only has 2 routes for career advancement, injury or estimator.

More immediate reward for good work. Only reward for good work is a end-of-year bonus and it's tied to the performance of the whole company.

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Massillon, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Massillon, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career advancement and paid training

Cons

long hours Cold and Hot weather

Encourage sales people

Good Managers, Pays Well, Few Opportunities for Advancement

Current Employee - Claims Representative Level 39 in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative Level 39 in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Hire from within
    Lots of training available
    Good Leadership
    Pays Well

Cons

Few Opportunities for Advancement
    Claims Department becoming more centralized
    Lots of process changes

Choose process changes that are user friendly and efficient...not just cheap

Best company in Cleveland

Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, good overall culture. Progressive goes beyond to make your time there more than a job. Incredible benefits compared to other companies

Cons

Need to know your career path early on. If you don't follow that, you will languish in mid management. Depending on the area, if you don't have an MBA from an M7 school, you will not move ahead

CSR

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting, get a chance to help others.

Cons

Call volume is usually high. Angry customers.

Progressive Insurance Photos