Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for, but lacking growth opportunities

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Highland Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Highland Heights, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of smart people. very data oriented company.

Cons

No career advancement opportunities from analyst roles to management roles

Open up new entry level managerial opportunities to retain your best analysts.

good company

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

they do what they can to take care of you financially. I have interviewed at a couple of other insurance companies and the salaries are lower there.

Cons

the training you get is alright. it's not great. they expect far too much of the newer employees.

Coworkers are your best friends in this Corporate Claims Machine.

Former Employee - MRR (Managed Repair Representative )
    Former Employee - MRR (Managed Repair Representative )

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Fair pay for your knowledge.
    -Continually accruing paid time off (rolls over year after year)
    -Decent health/dental/vision and life insurance and 401k.
    -Coworkers do really become like a 2nd family. Most will go out of their way to assist you.
    -Decent training, and they will pay to keep your licenses current.
    -Reimbursement for college tuition for an insurance related major.
    -Opportunity for advancement (most often requires relocation from your current city though)

Cons

(This review is for a FIELD adjuster role, not inside the office.)

Progressive is a good place to get your feet wet in the insurance claims industry, especially for a field adjuster and those who want to make the transition from the auto body/repair/estimator side of the process to claims. That said, Claims are NOT for everyone, you need thick skin and to be able to think on your toes day-to-day.

The biggest issue most people working here agree on: there are too many managers who frankly do not understand what it takes to repair a vehicle/RV/boat/motorcycle to "pre-loss" condition using industry standard techniques, and that is where many disagreements arise. Most customers are also fairly vehicle savvy, and you will get more than your fair share of kick back from them day to day, especially when you don't pay what their chosen repair shop asks, and/or if you deny any damages (which is fairly often).

This is a large company, therefore, the claims volume is high. Most of your day will be spent in the company car, driving from claim to claim, and on the phone making calls to shops, customers and parts suppliers. You will work overtime when the need arises, as well as through lunch (if you get one. Bring some snacks that won't spoil like cereal bars or Trail-mix for those days). There will be occasional days though when you do get to go home early- IF you get all of your work done, but they would like for you to "just do one more inspection today". Then that becomes the norm.

Management watches all your numbers constantly, from the time you start the 1st assignment, to how many vehicles you inspect per day, to how much you pay for repairs down to individual parts prices. If you don't like being micromanaged you will not like the job- plain and simple. You will argue with management over $1 on a claim if they feel it was not a needed expense, even if the customer gives you a great satisfaction score on the claim. Word to the wise: document every decision you make, someone is always auditing your work. Most days you will go home with a headache, worn out, and looking forward to the weekend.

I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for the 1st year, but after 3, I just couldn't do it anymore. There are those who have been in the role for 15+ years, but that's because they have the personalities that this company looks for. Still, turnover is fairly high here, but you wont be missed once you leave (except by your peers). You will be replaced, and the machine will continue.

If you're on the claims side, try going back out into the field a few times a year to see EXACTLY how your processes and ideas work in the real world.

Claims Adjuster Generalist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots for flexibility if I needed a day off it was never a problem. Training is pretty good lots of resources. This is a good job for a single person but if you have a family or other priorities run.

Cons

Work load is impossible, not a good support system over time is always required and in Florida promotion is difficult if you don't have a supportive manager. Big cognitive dissonance between the companies vision and the daily operation. I got out as soon as I realized that hard work would not get you anywhere the job is like being in jail once you serve your time you may be able to move to another role.

Value employees and support growth in the company.

Gainshare is a plus!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Your hours are set. Overtime is available but not mandatory. Excellent training department. Guidelines are easy to access and understand. They allow you to use the internet for business and pleasure. There are several flexible options to alter your daily schedule .

Cons

Management is not calibrated on performance issues. Attendance is managed holistically , no set boundaries. Focused on metrics that are always changing every quarter.

Everyone needs to adhere to the same rules.

The ends do not justify the means.

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Job security: If your manager likes you, you can literally do no wrong

-Benefits: The 80/20 co-insurance and skyrocketing medical costs make it likely you will hit your out of pocket max EVERY year unless you have perfect health, but it's WAY better than what other companies in the area offer at entry level and you can get an HSA to cover planned medical costs tax free

-Work space: The office has tons of art and is well laid out. Everyone gets their own desk. There are no ridiculous rules about what you can and can't have at your desk as long as you're getting work done.

Cons

-No central control in management. There are countless tiny teams and each one has an entirely different culture and rules. Management's treatment of low-level employees can be downright abusive or downright favoritist, at the discretion of the individual manager, without limits. The only thing that matters to the corporate brass is "driving results," and everyone with half a brain knows metrics and results are different. Yet apparently they don't.

-Constant force-feeding of culture. If I have to watch one more video where some talking head from Cleveland educates me on how wonderful my job is, I'll scream. Bravo, Progressive, for somehow manipulating OE survey to make things look a way they definitely are not. Until stress is managed with appropriate staffing, until work/life balance really exists, until the CEO actually visits his main locations and sees what is going on, your words ring untrue. I've been driven here to comment b/c at my site, even HR cannot be trusted with confidentiality.

Read my review and wake up.

...audit, audit, audit....did I mention the audit

Former Employee - Claims Manager
    Former Employee - Claims Manager

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits package, co-workers, brand recognition,

Cons

The company manages to a corporate audit with no regard for common sense, employee work/life balance. Employees work in constant fear that they will be audited or reviewed. One person does the actual work while ten others review it and request revisions. Customer experience and claims are handled with nothing but the corporate audit in mind.

Trust your employees. Don't treat them like criminals and micro manage every move. Maybe then you could hire more actual workers as opposed to reviewers who are so far removed from the field..they offer no benefit. Treat all customers the same, regardless if they have an email or not.

Overall Experience

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have learned a lot about where I want to go about and what I want to do. It's a stable company with decent benefits. If you're on a good team, they're helpful and reliable. The managers I have had have been fair. Great for experience.

Cons

Workload is unbalanced. Lack of opportunity to attend conferences and move up. Pay could be better. Very stressful. Ridiculous metrics to meet. High turnover.

Listen to your employees. They are your best asset. Ridiculous metrics and nitpicking are going to drive people away. Raising the pay for new employees and not addressing it for tenured employees will make people leave. The work load is unbalanced. I for one will continue to look elsewhere but will continue to do my job to its fullest.

Inside Sales

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Large company to work for

Cons

Management wasn't concerned with employee happiness, long hours, hard to advance

Constant Call after Call.... never ending!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So the pros are inexpensive benefits, end of the year gain-sharing bonus, really nice building, free covered parking, close to freeway, in-house food available (cafeteria, Starbucks, Subway, mini convenient store, vending machines, coffee machines), in-house gym with lockers and showers, can browse the internet on your breaks and lunches.

Cons

The pay is so crummy! I do not think a person who is single and lives alone could afford to live on a CSR or Sales rep salary. If you take into consideration rent, car, gas, food..... you almost break even. I don't know how a single person can live and save money on this salary.
    Also, you are just taking call after call after call all day. When I was first hired, we had time off the phones to read updates, have meetings, work on projects. Now you get 15 mins in the morning to check email and read updates. After that it just constant calls until your break. You get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. They also have 10 minutes of misc time in case you need to use the bathroom or something inbetween your scheduled breaks/lunch.
    They monitor the number of calls of make. If you are not on a call speaking with a customer, that time counts against you.

People only stay for about 1-2 years. Once they have Progressive on their resume, they apply to companies where they will make $4-5 more per hour (that translates to around $8,000 to $10,000 more per year). I stayed with Progressive and then switched jobs. I make a little over $12,000 more than what I made at Progressive. And the best part is that I am not tied to a headset taking constant calls.

Progressive Insurance Photos