Progressive Insurance Reviews

1. Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The benefits are wonderful and my co workers are great!

Cons

Over worked and under paid
    Work to life balance is horrible.

Work as hard as everyone else or allow everyone else the same right to go home on time.

Best company in Cleveland

Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, good overall culture. Progressive goes beyond to make your time there more than a job. Incredible benefits compared to other companies

Cons

Need to know your career path early on. If you don't follow that, you will languish in mid management. Depending on the area, if you don't have an MBA from an M7 school, you will not move ahead

3. Claims adjuster

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Coworkers that try to uplift the work environment

Cons

Workload. Stress. Unreasonable expectations.

5. Good Managers, Pays Well, Few Opportunities for Advancement

Current Employee - Claims Representative Level 39 in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative Level 39 in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Hire from within
    Lots of training available
    Good Leadership
    Pays Well

Cons

Few Opportunities for Advancement
    Claims Department becoming more centralized
    Lots of process changes

Choose process changes that are user friendly and efficient...not just cheap

They get every penny out of you...

Current Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Busy so the day go by fast. Managers are fair and easy going. Co-workers are the best. Great work atmosphere. Plenty of parties and celebrations.

Cons

Heavy Workload. You are exempt so no overtime pay. It's impossible to stay caught and current. You will put in more than 40 hours a week. Constant back to back calls. You will earn every penny of your salary.

Hire more people to easy the workload.

7. Good Company

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Great marketing....Flo is the bomb.

Cons

Not any really cons that I can think of

Looking for career advancement? Keep looking because its not here...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the coworkers have been constantly great and are some of the best people I've worked with ever. The job is stable (I've been here eleven years. You never run out of unhappy customers calling regarding premium increases). Gainshare is nice at the end of the year but it feels kinda like a carrot being dangled above a rabbit. It's a constant reminder.

Cons

the workload is pretty ridiculous. expect to be at your desk 95% of the time if you want to meet the standards and metrics that are constantly changed based off the new hires who come in. Expect little to no break in between calls and expect to be stressed/ have some type of health issues while here. Its probably the most stressful job I've ever been at.

Your tenure means little to nothing so don't plan to stay long-term.

The work life balance/PTO scheduling USED to be excellent. Now they are basing your schedule on your performance with little to no focus on tenured reps. As this rolls out, the customer experience will deteriorate and the workload will be worse because reps will leave due to this.

Career advancement is non existent. Little to no movement (or even lateral movement). Take it from me. I've been on the job for eleven years and check the job listing every day. It's easier to get the training/one to two years experience and move on.

I've been lucky enough to have some excellent managers but I could see how someone would leave if they had a job like this and a bad manager. My advice to management is to take some calls (maybe a few hours a week). You can't really understand what we do unless you do it. That goes for upper management also. It's easy to tell someone what numbers they should be meeting when your looking at a spreadsheet.

9. you get into it what you put out of it

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

on site cafeteria and convenient store. flexibility to request days off if done in advance. gainshare bonus and benefits are pretty good. decent training modules; you will learn a lot if this is your first time dealing with insurance.

Cons

call volume can be high with obnoxious callers with lots of attitude. there is a sense of "you're expected to know this..." once you've been in the role for 6 months. redundancy with training and an effort to be very scripted. typical office politics. work/life balance is not as great as the company makes it out to be. burnout is very real.

respect the differences in each person. not everyone is the loud, happy-go-lucky person you want them to be. offer better schedule selections and choices.

Very focused on individual and team performance numbers(Net Promoter Score, contacts w/in 24 hours, etc)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Focus on work environment, reasonable hours

Cons

The focus on performance numbers (vs file quality) encourages micromanagement and manipulation to create the appearance of success.

Promote leaders, not bosses.

It is a good place to build a career

Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer Senior in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer Senior in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Working at Progressive is definitely the relaxed culture. Work life balance is great. Flexible working arrangements, and managers who really know how to make the employees feel appreciated. Appreciation is something a lot of companies take for granted. I think it is very easy to shine if you are in a project that lets you have the opportunity to. There is a very high retention rate as a lot of people celebrating over 10 yrs working for the company. Benefits package is very good if you are single. Been told around town that I have the best insurance in town when I use it at any networked facility. Great classroom learning as well as access to online classes to learn new skills.

Cons

Onboarding process needs a lot of work. There is a lot of down time while waiting for project assignment. Very large projects also mean movement is very slow. Definitely will kill any motivation if start falling in step with the crowd. The long timers also have a sense that they are just doing this until they retire. But if you don't want to fall into the crowd and bad habits you will need to learn new skills on your own. But you many never get to use those skills as most of the fun projects are fully staffed. The bad thing is getting stuck in the tail end of a project where you have to follow blindly what to do.

PROCESS and procedure is almost insane.

They don't let people who are clearly not performing go.

Move people around more within department. Share the fun projects as well as the not so fun ones. Process and procedure kills progress! Be more Progressive as your company name suggest in terms of handling projects.

Progressive Insurance Photos