Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Experience

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have learned a lot about where I want to go about and what I want to do. It's a stable company with decent benefits. If you're on a good team, they're helpful and reliable. The managers I have had have been fair. Great for experience.

Cons

Workload is unbalanced. Lack of opportunity to attend conferences and move up. Pay could be better. Very stressful. Ridiculous metrics to meet. High turnover.

Listen to your employees. They are your best asset. Ridiculous metrics and nitpicking are going to drive people away. Raising the pay for new employees and not addressing it for tenured employees will make people leave. The work load is unbalanced. I for one will continue to look elsewhere but will continue to do my job to its fullest.

Inside Sales

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Large company to work for

Cons

Management wasn't concerned with employee happiness, long hours, hard to advance

Constant Call after Call.... never ending!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So the pros are inexpensive benefits, end of the year gain-sharing bonus, really nice building, free covered parking, close to freeway, in-house food available (cafeteria, Starbucks, Subway, mini convenient store, vending machines, coffee machines), in-house gym with lockers and showers, can browse the internet on your breaks and lunches.

Cons

The pay is so crummy! I do not think a person who is single and lives alone could afford to live on a CSR or Sales rep salary. If you take into consideration rent, car, gas, food..... you almost break even. I don't know how a single person can live and save money on this salary.
    Also, you are just taking call after call after call all day. When I was first hired, we had time off the phones to read updates, have meetings, work on projects. Now you get 15 mins in the morning to check email and read updates. After that it just constant calls until your break. You get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. They also have 10 minutes of misc time in case you need to use the bathroom or something inbetween your scheduled breaks/lunch.
    They monitor the number of calls of make. If you are not on a call speaking with a customer, that time counts against you.

People only stay for about 1-2 years. Once they have Progressive on their resume, they apply to companies where they will make $4-5 more per hour (that translates to around $8,000 to $10,000 more per year). I stayed with Progressive and then switched jobs. I make a little over $12,000 more than what I made at Progressive. And the best part is that I am not tied to a headset taking constant calls.

Medical Trainee Rep

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

benfits, time off work life balance

Cons

work to many hours, not enough family time

na

The work can be very overwhelming, but the benefits are great!

Current Employee - Fire and Theft Investigator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Fire and Theft Investigator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits (medical, vision, dental)
    gainshare (bonus)
    office culture
    dress code (business casual. very casual)
    its very rare the management style is a micro managing management style

Cons

stressful
    a lot of work
    always understaffed
    compensation for the amount of work that needs to be done is not reasonable
    holiday hours that are paid are very few.

Management sometimes can make the position even more stressful then what it already is. I would recommend management to no stress the employees out more then what they already are.

Great company to start your career

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Learn from the smartest people in Cleveland Ohio. Expect to be promoted quickly to a non-management senior level position.
    Growing company. Growing... but slow very slow.

Cons

Don't expect to get past a non-management senior level position unless you have a degree from an Ivy league school.
    Very conservative, risk adverse, and slow growth.

Don't forget to pay employees that can execute strategies very well. You have a hard time retaining top talent because of it.

ok

Former Employee - Mrr
    Former Employee - Mrr

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

lots of time off, decent work environment

Cons

They expect you to work a lot for the amount they pay. Limited career potential in claims, I can't speak for the corporate office

It was okay.

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The schedule was okay. Management was okay. The best thing about it was the location. Overall the job was pretty okay.

Cons

The challenging thing about this job was coworkers. All they did is gossip about other people. The job was like a high school.

New claims generalist

Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Generalist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
    6% 401k match
    Gainshare program
    Flexible schedule 10-7 , 12-9, 2-11
    Great recruiters

Cons

No cons so far, this is only my first week

Great Company, but workplace environment is changing for the worse

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CLRU has the best schedule flexibility period
    The gainshare is an added bonus!!
    Campus 1 is very easy to get to.

Pay is pretty good considering I came in a few yrs back and new hires are starting lower than I did.

Cons

Seems like the benefits are getting cut more and more each year. Also there has been a decline in the employee appreciation, whether in raffles/contests, the appreciation parties and just general messages of encouragement. Yet we can all see the stock price is going up and the company is gaining more market share.

Progressive Insurance Photos