Progressive Insurance Reviews

Reset

1. Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the interaction with the customers. I also enjoy the autonomous atmosphere in the office. This really is a great place to work!

Cons

Progressive really is a great place to work, and I really cant think of anything bad to say about it. But, I do wish there were more lateral positions available without having to move.

Advice to Management

Once again, Progressive is a great company to work for and I really don't have any critiques for the management team. Yet, I will say that upper management should make sure that their middle management candidate is competent enough for the position.

2. Direct Sales Rep for Commercial Sales

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have a very diverse culture and encourage folks from all walks of life to apply and join the team. You have job stability and you are not micromanaged. They offer 2000k per year to full time employees for school no matter what the subject is. All the best people I know, I met from Progressive. They do their absolute best to help with medical situations, and to balance personal work and life. They also have an on site clinic, gym, and cafeteria.

Cons

Climbing the ladder is EXTREMELY difficult. Despite 5 years experience, previous management and supervisor experience, several awards and accolades rewarded by Progressive, I have been declined several opportunities to become a coach. I have proven that I am able to coach through two internships, but they base the promotion process off of how well you can answer questions based of the "STAR" format, not necessarily your credentials, company contributions for sales, or awards you have won. I applied for Travelers, TRowe Price, and a local newspaper and was able to get hired at all 3 despite having no experience. (pay and scheduling played a factor into me staying with Progressive.) There is also a very high turn over rate. A lot of the tenured folks have left or are leaving, and they are increasing the work load frequently and the systems don't work.

Advice to Management

The feedback provided is wishy washy at best and cannot be applied when candidates are declined for another position. We also must be given tools to succeed. It's difficult to work with systems constantly crashing and generating errors, wages are lower than what licensed insurance agents should be making , and some of the processes need to be streamlined for both internal and external customers. When considering candidates for positions, Progressive needs to look holistically at the potential of the individual and what they can produce based of off actual actions and situations, not how well they can answer questions. You can have an amazing person with tons of experience not get a position, and someone who may not be able to produce the same results get the job because they can answer STAR questions better.

3. Claims Generalist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Compensation, Benefits, and culture.

Cons

Extremely High Work Load, Management, Training, Work Life Balance, and little opportunity for growth.

5. Top Notch

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance does not get any better Benefits Leadership Culture Training

Cons

There really are very few cons ive come across: Its a big company with alot of people looking to advance so lateral movement is slow, but if you work hard it will happen Pay could be better considering the company and it's profits

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, it works!

File Handler

Former Employee - Claims Generalist in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Generalist in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance (More than 8 years)

Pros

great people effective technology training with in the company and license maintenance all done internally annual bonus based on the company profits

Cons

lots of good old boy type dealings that create a type of blacklist if you do not follow the system and do exactly as told or questions changes

Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time

Pros

You teammates are truly great and everyone is extremely welcoming. Progressive tries to do fun things for their employees such as ping pong tables, bowling outings, baseball games, food and more food!

Cons

The amount of claims assigned is humanly impossible to complete. You are not given enough time to give truly outstanding customer service because you have to move on to the next claim to try to keep up with the volume. It is expected, as a salary employee, to work additional hours. Working additional hours isn't the issue, the issue is that even when you work 12 hour days you are still unable to get caught up and provide exceptional customer service. When you get behind they will continue to pile on more claims, which leads to a feeling of being extremely overwhelmed and defeated. This feeling leads to not trying your hardest because in the end it will not matter - you will still be behind and have customers upset with you. Management assesses you on production yet does not give any incentives to be a high producer.

Advice to Management

Hire more adjusters so that the workload can decrease. Customer service is suffering severely due to the volume that adjusters are expected to complete. When your employees get behind you continue to pile on more claims, which leads to a feeling of being extremely overwhelmed and defeated. This kills morale and is helping you to lose really great employees.

8. Culture, culture, culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Euclid, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Euclid, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Progressive prides itself on work-life balance. Diversity is an aggressive stance on which the company revels firmly in a position of offering a diverse work environment.

Cons

Functional business areas are too segregated. Although, the firm has worked toward integrating functional business areas, there is considerable work to further integrate in order to limit redundancies and improve spending.

Advice to Management

Be kind.

9. Claim Adjuster

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits / Supportive Coworkers because everyone is in the same over worked/stressed state.

Cons

Unrealistic time expectations / 65hr + per week needed to keep up with work load.

Advice to Management

Add more adjusters to allow better customer service & give employees a chance to have a home life.

10. Be prepared for being a worker bee

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

Pros

Coworkers attempt to make it a better place to work...

Cons

But it's not. Pay is low, they keep bad supervisors around, lazy ones who can't handle their own stuff and push it into you. On top of the endless claims, your voicemails, incoming calls, answering calls for the ENTIRE state, and answering the front door because the receptionist sucks. Yes you will be pounding your head against anything because management doesn't care. They act like they do, but it's all fake and they say things to your face to keep your working like a worker bee. And they want requests for holiday time off in February... Seriously? When we just got done with winter break....kinda ridiculous. Very corporate and everyone is trying to find a way out to something better including me. Once their gone, they feel freedom. We HAVE to lie and say work environment is great, otherwise our performance review would be not meets. No such thing as stress free time off esp when management says "they will handle their claims when they get back" and you come back to stress!

Advice to Management

You really need to raise morale and listen to your employees otherwise you will continue to lose people.

New hire at Progressive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic and the training is thorough.

Cons

The current contractor for background checks is inefficient.

Showing 995 of 1,013 reviews