Progressive Insurance

www.progressive.com

Great environment, coworkers and pay!

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent starting salary compared to most other insurance companies, fun office atmosphere, and employees genuinely care.

Cons

The workload. I often feel as if I can't give each customer the attention they deserve, because I simply have too much on my plate. This leads to longer hours and more stress. The turnover rate seems to be high, most likely due to workload stress.

Claim Representative

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Miami, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits, excellent technology. The supervisors are very friendly and listen to suggestions. There are very few other companies I would rather work for.

Cons

The hours can be long, the pay can be better, dealing with irate policyholders can be daunting and will take its toll you. When first hired you cannot take two consecutive days off.

Most of my working experiences have involved working within a team-based, some of which includes: planning, organizati

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, team-work and i love my job

Cons

lack of proper communication process

Team based is necessary in any giving situation

Great place to work

Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Progressive is constantly introducing new technologies which provides plenty of opportunities to learn. Laid back culture. If you're driven, you can easily succeed.

Cons

Doesn't encourage commuting for the lower tiers in the Infrastructure teams. Some technologies are very old, luckily the transition to newer equipment has been going on for a while now so a lot overlaps.

Allow work from home.

Great company

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Great company. Open door policy, great people, promote from within.

Cons

Lots of work however it is manageable.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Progressive has a great company culture that focuses on diversity. Employees are treated well and made to feel valued. On site amenities and benefits are a plus as well.

Cons

Company wide communication could be improved. There are also some areas that could use a better system for career advancement.

Progressive Insurance Response

Jan 30, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thanks for providing your review. Progressive recognizes the importance of career development and continually reviews our companywide program and the need to provide more tools and guidance for ... More

Long time Progressive Employee

Current Employee - Data Analyst III
    Current Employee - Data Analyst III

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Work/life balance is good. Flexibility in work schedule and the ability to work from home. Good benefits.

Cons

Not all types of jobs are available in several locations.

Excellent company to work for.

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Great people and managers to work with. Innovative company with a solid business plan. The training provided is comprehensive. Gain Sharing plan adds to your total compensation.

Cons

Most senior IT positions and upper management opportunities are limited to Cleveland or Colorado Springs.

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The dress code is fairly relaxed and the schedules outside of claims and the call center are relatively flexible.

Cons

Progressive is a decent place to have a job, but a terrible place to have a career. Meaning that if you aspire to grow, learn, and advance, it is not a good place to be. However, if all you want steady paycheck, your needs will be met.

Many in senior management has been in place for decades. I suspect that many of these people started at the company when it was smaller and growing at a much faster pace. The company is not growing fast enough for new people to enter the ranks of management.

Therefore, you can expect to stay in the position that you were originally hired into, or you will make a series of lateral moves.

The few opportunities that do present themselves will be reserved for the friends of management. In addition, you should not expect to move across the organization. If you are thinking of applying to the company for a position, with the idea of getting your foot in the door, and then transferring to another position (e.g. sales to finance), I’d suggest otherwise.

The company is a collection of silos and the managers tend to run the departments like their personal fiefdoms. Your education and experience account for little at this company. It is more important that you are friends with the right people. Cronyism and politics are rampant at Progressive.

Many people in management have been in their positions too long. They don’t bring any new ideas to the table and they are too set in their ways.

For a company that claims to be data driven, a lot of the talent acquisition process is left to the subjective whims of lower level managers. Without proper supervision and auditing, you may not be hiring the best people. You may only be hiring people that your middle managers like. This is fine, if your company objective is to create a comfortable work environment for your managers.

You also need to watch your internal networking programs to ensure that they are not creating unintended results. You need to create mechanisms to ensure that these programs are not being used to hoard power, institutionalize biases, or exclude good people for superficial reasons.

People should be able to work together without being friends outside of the office.

Also, you need to find a way to everyone at the company on the same page. There are too many companies within the company.

Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

great support system, management cares, schedule flexibility, competitive pay

Cons

Training could probably be better for certain departments

Progressive Insurance Photos