Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 47 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 28 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Left and Came Back!

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome company to work for.
    Pay and performance increases are steady
    Room for advancement
    Career focused

Cons

Very hard to get into
    If you apply for one department and do not get the position - that is on record for just that department of why you didn't get the position. You have to apply to a different department to get your foot in the door.
    Even harder interview process once in the company to move with in the company.

HR and Management do not seen to know what the other is doing
    HR is separated into department of the business and have no idea what the other is doing.

Provide Commercial Auto quotes to potential clients

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Non competitive atmosphere, very laid back the company's main concern is providing good customer service, great benefits and job development opportunitites

Cons

If you are a very active person, you may need to change your routine to a more laid back one because you are sitting down all day

Overall, management is very aproachable and understanding

I have a good job.

Current Employee - Personal Lines Senior Processor/Underwriter in Mayfield Heights, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 11 yrs. A great deal of tenured employees from all types of backgrounds. Started out in the call center, the company provides training-which is a great way to obtain your property & casusalty license. The call center there just like any other company is very busy and can build up to stress dealing with problems, billing issues, etc. from irate customers. Once I transferred into the processing division after 2.5 yrs on the phones, it was like night and day. I have a very wonderful manager who genuinely cares about employees (management can make or break you). Casual dress code (can wear jeans everday), Diversed company, Flexible Work Arrangements, I currently work from home 50% of the time which is the highlight for me. You have to keep up with your metrics or you will not be able to continue to work from home. It is not for everyone if you are not self-disciplined...don't try it. Benefits for the most part are good & cool work perks.

Cons

Allow more ETB time, personal and sick time should be separate. Holistic areas should be viewed more realistic, career development and internal job opportunities for advancement should be more gainful & plentiful, medcial insurance is way too expensive and not the greatest.

Stay and keep up with the changing times of technology, very top heavy management, FWA has saved the company from a tremendous higher turnover rate. Some change is good but not always. Listen to your valued employees and don't play politics with favoritism.

Good for a temporary job.

Former Employee - Phone Sales in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Phone Sales in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back work environment great place to work.

Cons

Company says they like to hire within don't believe it. I have 15 years insurance experience and have owned m own insurance agency. I was number 1 in sales for the whole comapny in 2012 and was in the top 3% close ration that year as well. I interviewed and applied for several marketing jobs and wasn't hired for any of them. I think they like to hire people that have no clue about the insurance industry that they can mold them to their way of thinking. SO if you get a job there really no point in trying to be the best because the person next you makes the same amount of money as you do even if you are #1. Good place to work if you can't find anything else and just need something, not a career move for sure.

Pay people that preform more especially in sales.

IT intern

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. Great culture and employees are recognized for their hard work!

Cons

In house IT. IT is not their main business

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Estimator Intermediate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Estimator Intermediate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good bonus at year-end, great people to work with, management that is always wanting to see you succeed. They seem to hire new candidates that are hard-working, with a good sense of humor.

Cons

Behind on the times in the computer technology aspect. They try to keep the work-life balance in check, but, sometimes that can be very difficult.

Great Work Environment and a Fun Place to Work

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing (in 2014) and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. Claims adjusters receive approximately 8% of their salary in a year end bonus. The job is challenging and interesting. I am not micromanaged; I am expected to produce results but I am left alone to achieve those results. I work with great people.

Cons

The company is slow to respond to changes in claims volume and delays hiring too long, which results in unmanageable workloads. The health insurance is expensive and has way too high of a deductible.

12 years customer service

Current Employee - Senior Processor in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Processor in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, ample time off and great flexible work arrangements. Good benefits and management handles employees as people and not numbers. Co workers are great and everyone is treated like family - all in all great place to work. Senior leaders make sure that everyone feels important and provide guidance in job growth - many wonderful paid programs that employees are able to attend. Progressive has a great outlook on diversity and inclusion within the work place and has many programs in place for diversity groups. Open door policy is really an open door policy - senior leadership will always find time to meet with employees. Some areas of the company work from home part time.

Cons

personal growth is difficult right now. It is sometimes difficult to get Friday's off, but the flexible work arrangements that are in place make it easy to adjust schedules. Technology is a little behind the times.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Burnout

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good level entry position without needing college for a living wage.
    Coworkers

Cons

-The company sells lies of great career growth but in actuality most moves are lateral or learning new skills (read: heavier workload/same position) without more pay.
    -you will be assigned more supervisors per year than how long you've worked there. Once you learn what your supervisor likes you get a new one with different goals for you, which backtracks opportunities for annual salary increases
    -although this is a customer service position, one of our primary objectives is up selling/cross selling/'feature' selling offers and we are threatened weekly with performance management if our customers don't accept those offers (we were not hired for sales!)
    -other job objectives include extreme micromanagement of time/call efficiency due to heavy call volume. Reps will either sacrifice call quality or learn how to game the system to meet targets and supervisors look the other way because their team's numbers are their performance objectives. If you actually care about delivering a 100% customer experience this job is not for you, you will have to lower your own compassion for customers' needs to keep your job.
    -HR is a joke in delivering any work/life balance needs. Do not expect to be heard.
    -supervisors are so removed from what it's actually like to do this job they are not capable of understanding any hardships mentioned above
    -I was hired with a class of almost 30 people, there are maybe 4-5 of us still with the company. All are looking elsewhere.

Start caring about the unrealistic job expectations if you want to deliver a true quality customer experience or else your service is going to be as bad as calling the cable company or worse. Probably worse.

Make supervisors take calls and meet same objectives for x amount of hours a month to keep a middleman between us and upper management that is imposing these ridiculous job expectations.

customer service

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time

Pros

good vacation time, people are nice

Cons

no consistency, no incentive for doing good

Progressive Insurance Photos