Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Licensed Sales Producer

Former Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Permitted to take breaks and lunch when you want to. Freedom to do whatever you want, but if you are not doing what you are supposed to be doing, it falls on you for making poor decisions.

Cons

Redundant job duties. Anyone that is able to pick up a phone and dial the 800 number, competent or not, you will have to help them.

Coworkers are your best friends in this Corporate Claims Machine.

Former Employee - MRR (Managed Repair Representative )
    Former Employee - MRR (Managed Repair Representative )

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Fair pay for your knowledge.
    -Continually accruing paid time off (rolls over year after year)
    -Decent health/dental/vision and life insurance and 401k.
    -Coworkers do really become like a 2nd family. Most will go out of their way to assist you.
    -Decent training, and they will pay to keep your licenses current.
    -Reimbursement for college tuition for an insurance related major.
    -Opportunity for advancement (most often requires relocation from your current city though)

Cons

(This review is for a FIELD adjuster role, not inside the office.)

Progressive is a good place to get your feet wet in the insurance claims industry, especially for a field adjuster and those who want to make the transition from the auto body/repair/estimator side of the process to claims. That said, Claims are NOT for everyone, you need thick skin and to be able to think on your toes day-to-day.

The biggest issue most people working here agree on: there are too many managers who frankly do not understand what it takes to repair a vehicle/RV/boat/motorcycle to "pre-loss" condition using industry standard techniques, and that is where many disagreements arise. Most customers are also fairly vehicle savvy, and you will get more than your fair share of kick back from them day to day, especially when you don't pay what their chosen repair shop asks, and/or if you deny any damages (which is fairly often).

This is a large company, therefore, the claims volume is high. Most of your day will be spent in the company car, driving from claim to claim, and on the phone making calls to shops, customers and parts suppliers. You will work overtime when the need arises, as well as through lunch (if you get one. Bring some snacks that won't spoil like cereal bars or Trail-mix for those days). There will be occasional days though when you do get to go home early- IF you get all of your work done, but they would like for you to "just do one more inspection today". Then that becomes the norm.

Management watches all your numbers constantly, from the time you start the 1st assignment, to how many vehicles you inspect per day, to how much you pay for repairs down to individual parts prices. If you don't like being micromanaged you will not like the job- plain and simple. You will argue with management over $1 on a claim if they feel it was not a needed expense, even if the customer gives you a great satisfaction score on the claim. Word to the wise: document every decision you make, someone is always auditing your work. Most days you will go home with a headache, worn out, and looking forward to the weekend.

I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for the 1st year, but after 3, I just couldn't do it anymore. There are those who have been in the role for 15+ years, but that's because they have the personalities that this company looks for. Still, turnover is fairly high here, but you wont be missed once you leave (except by your peers). You will be replaced, and the machine will continue.

If you're on the claims side, try going back out into the field a few times a year to see EXACTLY how your processes and ideas work in the real world.

good company

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

they do what they can to take care of you financially. I have interviewed at a couple of other insurance companies and the salaries are lower there.

Cons

the training you get is alright. it's not great. they expect far too much of the newer employees.

Excellent culture for innovative risk takers

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

High tolerance for taking data driven risks and innovation

Cons

Limited career opportunities at higher levels

Too much management drama

Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Riverview, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome fitness center and time off

Cons

Managers hire their friends who have no experience.

Great Place to Work, good team atmosphere

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team oriented, good benefits, flexible shedules depending on position, opportunities for advancement, in house training

Cons

no longer allows remote/distance work options for IT

Focus on retaining your quality resources.

IT Apps Programmer

Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Progressive for a little over a year and I can say, with confidence, that it is the best company I have worked for in my career. However, I also believe that employees get out what they put into it. In my opinion, this is not the kind of company where someone can show up for work and wait for something to do. While the project leadership will assign enough work to meet their goals, it is the responsibility of the employee to own their careers.

In the time I have been here, I have learned new frameworks, new languages, new design techniques and have been involved in community outreach programs and all without having to work excessively long hours or taking time away from my wife and children.

Additional Benefits
    - Gainshare (Performance goal-based profit sharing)
    - Flexible working environment
    - Excellent compensation
    - Training opportunities (technical, industry and Progressive-specific)
    - Work life balance
    - On site gym
    - On site healthcare services

Cons

- Health insurance offerings are very thorough plan but it is also expensive
              - We get charged a premium to insure working spouses. :-(
    - Change is slow and incremental (product of a large company)
    - Lots of process (sometimes to a fault)
    - Recruiting process is terrible!
              - Progressive is an excellent company to work for but getting your resume in front of a hiring manager can feel like an act of God. I was contacted by a recruiter because of my LinkedIn profile (not because of a job I actually applied for). Ironically, I applied for a position as a software developer 6 months prior and was rejected without any contact from a recruiter.

Keep doing what you are doing! Overall, Progressive is a place I am happy to work for and am looking forward to a long career here.

Progressive Insurance Response

Dec 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Glad to year you enjoy working here. We also understand your frustration around our recruiting process, and do take these comments seriously. We're dedicated to ... More

Love it

Current Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated well. Good benefits. Gainshare is nice.

Cons

Establishing work/life balance is sometimes difficult in claims department.

Working at Progressive

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very ethical company
    Good benefits
    Overall great people to work with

Cons

Slow in making decisions
    Job experience can be non-standard leading to job stagnation

Become more nimble in adopting relevant technologies
    Be willing to hold folks more accountable for their role responsibilities
    Need to align roles and responsibilities to market standards

Overall it is a great place to work if you are willing to be content with a slower pace, not sure that is ideal for folks that are in the IT arena, but if you want a place that will keep you busy, is very ethical, has a great set of benefits and good work/life balance it probably is a good match for you.

Depending on the department you work on, the experience can be fantastic

Current Employee - IT Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent experience, fantastic people, benefits program is very good

Cons

Egos of upper management; Politics;

Hold people accountable to Core Values